What's new

high school graduation gift

so my wife's cousin will be graduating from high school this June and i'm sure her parents are planning a big party for her. my question is, what would be a good graduation gift for her? she's really into the indie music scene so I was thinking something music related might work, although, my x-mas gift to her was to take her to her first concert (which hasn't happened yet). I was also thinking of something she could use for college. I don't know what that is yet, so I thought some forum advice was in order. any ideas?

Something she will always hold on to and preferably engraved and a luxury item. I have everything that was ever given to me that way from mugs, lighters, keepsake boxes, etc. Things that were given to me 30 years ago I still have and take care of, they are really irreplaceable.

Once she gets older she will be able to buy all the stuff she wants or needs.

Unless you know a lot about indie music, I wouldn't get her anything music related. Some of these kids are pretty elitist nowadays. Boy, do I feel old saying that...

I agree with the fellow above me. But it has to be something she'll want.

My uncle got me a compass. Metaphorical, obviously. I thought that was pretty cool. But she's a girl, so that might not have as much appeal. Maybe it would...

so my wife's cousin will be graduating from high school this June and i'm sure her parents are planning a big party for her. my question is, what would be a good graduation gift for her? she's really into the indie music scene so I was thinking something music related might work, although, my x-mas gift to her was to take her to her first concert (which hasn't happened yet). I was also thinking of something she could use for college. I don't know what that is yet, so I thought some forum advice was in order. any ideas?

Get her a docking station for her IPOD, the ones with speakers. The prices are all over the place so you should be able to find one in your price range.

If you get her a gift certificate for Itunes, she can pick what she wants and it won't take up any space in her dorm room.

Get her a docking station for her IPOD, the ones with speakers. The prices are all over the place so you should be able to find one in your price range.

This is a terrific idea, but I thought of one bad thing: she's going to be in college, which means she'll probably be living in a dorm. So, I thought of the alternative of some high quality head phones. I mean, really nice ones. If the iPod dock doesn't work, of course.

Money.

You have a 1% chance of getting the "right thing" for a teenager, and those odds drop to near zero for a teenage girl. Just give her the cash, she'll appreciate that a lot more.

Money.

You have a 1% chance of getting the "right thing" for a teenager, and those odds drop to near zero for a teenage girl. Just give her the cash, she'll appreciate that a lot more.

+1.

On all of the above. I don't know of a single person under the age of 25 that wouldn't prefer straight up cash unless they've already asked for something specific.

I second the headphone suggestion. Most young people don't have decent cans, even if they are into music. They just use the crappy ones that come with the iPod or their PC speakers. I'd pick up some Sennheisers or some Grados. Depending on your budget, you could buy some cans and supplement it with some cash. Decent Senns are only $40 or so.

Yet again it appears the world has passed me by. The last relative I had to graduate, we sent 50 bucks, which I thought was a very nice and very generous gift. We got a one-line thank you note that said "Thanks for the gas money." :001_huh:

If fifty dollars is just considered a pittance any more, then frankly I shudder to think what a "good" gift would cost. I'm glad most of my relatives have graduated.

Yet again it appears the world has passed me by. The last relative I had to graduate, we sent 50 bucks, which I thought was a very nice and very generous gift. We got a one-line thank you note that said "Thanks for the gas money." :001_huh:

If fifty dollars is just considered a pittance any more, then frankly I shudder to think what a "good" gift would cost. I'm glad most of my relatives have graduated.

The relative may not have meant the "thanks for the gas money" as a ridicule of the amount. They could have meant literally thanks for buying me a couple of tanks of gas, because it helps. Who knows? Wow, I'm such an idealist. lol. But the English language does leave much room for interpratation. What sounds like a smarmy diss to someone, may not have been meant to be taken that way by the writer.

The relative may not have meant the "thanks for the gas money" as a ridicule of the amount. They could have meant literally thanks for buying me a couple of tanks of gas, because it helps. Who knows? Wow, I'm such an idealist. lol. But the English language does leave much room for interpratation. What sounds like a smarmy diss to someone, may not have been meant to be taken that way by the writer.

+1. $50 is what one tank of gas costs these days, and if I were a teenager I'd be extremely grateful for it.

You guys may be right, maybe we misinterpreted. Although if it was truly a note of appreciation instead of a diss, I'd have put an exclamation point after the sentence instead of a period. But who knows.

In any event it sounds as if fifty bucks may be around entry level for a graduation gift today, and here I thought I was moving up in the world of gifting...

You guys may be right, maybe we misinterpreted. Although if it was truly a note of appreciation instead of a diss, I'd have put an exclamation point after the sentence instead of a period. But who knows.

In any event it sounds as if fifty bucks may be around entry level for a graduation gift today, and here I thought I was moving up in the world of gifting...

At least you got a thank you note. I've noticed many of today's younger generation don't even bother. :thumbdown

Top Bottom