What's new

changed my grip, and it changed my shave

So, i had sort of plateaued (is that a word?) with regard to shave quality. I'm still very much a noob, for sure, but was getting frustrated with the lack of progress and caught myself being tempted by the ol' trac II.

Then, as I was surfing the posts on B&B, I saw a bit of advice that countered what I had picked up somewhere in all the tutorial, tips, etc. I studied while getting started; the poster advised someone to grip the razor closer to the head to keep it more stable. All this time I had been gripping low to allow the razor's head and gravity do the work and my neck was paying the price. The grip was also similar to a cartridge grip, so it felt more natural I think.

Skip to yesterday a.m; I gripped a little higher and kept the "no pressure" mantra in mind. Lo and behold, my best shave yet. 2 passes, with and across, got me DFS, bordering on BBS on the face AND Big and) DFS on my neck with zero irritation, even on my swirly trouble spot. hallelujah, what a breakthrough! If I can find that post again, I'll offer a true thanks and credit their way:thumbup:

Thanks, I just might try that when i stop bleeding long enough to shave again.

Just kidding my second shave was far better than the 6 niks the first time.

Thumb and index finger where the handle meets the head.
Pinky against the end of the handle. Other 2 fingers stabilizing.
No slippage guaranteed!

I read this tip that Chris posted a couple of months ago, and it really improved my angle and pressure control. AKA "Throwing darts" :thumbup1:

Bravo for finding this tip and using it! I have better luck shaving this way also, using a light grip near the head for a nice balance.

That's very interesting. I might try it.

My shaves had leveled off in quality and I experimented with the angle but I never thought of holding it closer to the head.

Glad you had such a revelation sir! Thats a great feeling when you finally find "IT". Whether "it" is the perfect razor, blade, grip, stroke, soap, cream, oils, etc etc. Makes me smile anyways. :thumbup:

Made a big change for me, it made the shave feel more "aggressive" for some reason, as if i was using a straight ! got almost a bbs.

yeah; I shaved again today with the new grip and it was awesome! I did get a little irritation because I got carried away in a couple spots, but nothing major. Between face lathering and this, I'm like a new man!

I tried this today. I did like how it made it easier to ensure "no pressure", but I somehow ended up with a couple wheepers. The first ones in several weeks I might add.

I'm (EDIT: NOT) going to give up though as I did feel like I had more control over all. Just need to dial in and figure out what happened on my neck to cause the issue.

Last edited:
Good shaves require experimentation, razor, blades, and grip. I'm glad you found something that works for you. AnD thanks for sharing it with us.

Last edited:
I tried this today. I did like how it made it easier to ensure "no pressure", but I somehow ended up with a couple wheepers. The first ones in several weeks I might add.

I'm not going to give up though as I did feel like I had more control over all. Just need to dial in and figure out what happened on my neck to cause the issue.

Actually, come to think of it, I think I introduced another variable which may have caused the wheepers. I didn't follow my usual pattern to go XTG. This may have been the problem.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Grip matters on golf clubs, wood planes, razors and most tools. While I don't grip my razor near the top, I do hold it as lightly as I can without dropping it on the floor. Glad you found something that helps you shave with less pressure - I think about less pressure every shave.

Top Bottom