Thread: From Laphroaig to...

Images

Default From Laphroaig to...

So, I finished my first bottle of Laphroaig last month and loved every drop of it. I am a huge fan of the smokey/peatey aspects of it, but wanted to venture back to the straight and narrow with my next bottle choice.

Had both doors to the scotch world in my hands. Glenlevit and Glenfiddich. I have had Glenlevit a few times in restaurants and bars and liked it, but it had been a while and I don't remember it being much to write home about. I had also remembered reading others opinions that Glenfiddich has more to offer.

Well I chose the Glenfiddich and am very pleased with it. I just wet my lips with it to get the flavor when I got home and was surprised with all the flavors that came through.

Completely different animal then the Laphroaig as I fully expected, with more fruit coming through and smoother to my pallet.

I think I did these in the right order with Laphroaig being the cold weather dram and switching to Glenfiddich as it is starting to warm up.

Looking forward to a glass this evening and a true tasting.
    Progress, Labs/Astra SP, Semogue 1520, Tabac, Palmolive, Speick, Arlington, MWF, Arko.

Try a drop of Isle of Jura

Images

Car to elaborate as to what I could expect from it. Just telling me to try it is not very helpful.
    Progress, Labs/Astra SP, Semogue 1520, Tabac, Palmolive, Speick, Arlington, MWF, Arko.

Quote Originally Posted by atison View Post
    Car to elaborate as to what I could expect from it. Just telling me to try it is not very helpful.
    I'd like to know what appeals to you about it too. It's one of the few single malts that never really grabbed me. I'm always interested in the opinions of devoted fans.
    Richard
    [URL="http://www.whiskeyapostle.com"]Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?[/URL]
    My [URL="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109486&highlight=BigRich"]HOF[/URL] & [URL="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/User:BigRich"]Wiki[/URL] entries

You may also want to try Highland Park. The 12 is good but the 18 is one of the finest available.
    Dave

Images

Unfortunately, I am a budget single malt drinker (oxymoron I know) for now, so staying around $40 at the most.

I'm not a big fan of Glenfiddich. Too much powerful oak for me. If I want that I can drink cognac.

Images

If you want something a little less aggressive, try a good Speyside like Knockdhu or Balvinie

Oban 14