What's new

On this day (29 March 1911) the 1911 .45 was adopted by the US Military

On this day in 1911 one of, if not the greatest handguns of all time was adopted into full US military service.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Do you own a 1911? If so, how many and what types? As I said, this is one of the greatest handguns ever made. I own several.

My two favorites are my Kimber and Colt Gold Cup Trophy, both pictured below:

proxy.php

proxy.php

THERE IS NO ROOM FOR POLITICAL DEBATE OR DISCUSSION IN THIS THREAD!! THIS THREAD IS SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSE OF CELEBRATING THIS LANDMARK ANNIVERSARY!!!

I used to have a Kimber Ultra Raptor II.

It was probably the prettiest gun I have ever owned. I traded it straight up for a Rock River AR because at the time I had a bunch of pistols and I had never had an AR.

I will have another someday, although probably a little cheaper than the Kimber.

Colt SS Gold Cup, Series 80

Norinco Commander

And, just because the couldn't build them fast enough in WWI
a Smith & Wesson M1917 in .45 ACP.

proxy.php

Happy Birthday, ya old warhorse.

Last edited:
My dad carried a Colt 45 Combat Commander with a satin finish for many years in law enforcement. They are sweet guns and have the right take down power.

Last edited:
This is one of my absolute favorite platforms. I've been Colt Model "O" certified as a gunsmith for years. I love working on the 1911. I've built and modified so many of these over the years I've lost count.

M dad owns a few 1911's that he shot in competition. They may have started out as traditional 1911's, but they were heavily customized by legendary gunsmith Jim Clark out of Shreveport, LA. Great guns, I love them!

Love the 1911, I have a Defender and a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail, both in stainless. The two best shooting guns I've owned by a longshot, though the Wesson needed some out of the box tweaking. Happy 100th!

I have my grandfather's WWII issue 1911a1 in original condition. It was made by Remington Rand (the typewriter company rather than the gun company). The only non-original part is a Colt barrel from the same time period. Knowing my grandfather's general lack of interest in handguns I suspect the barrel was replaced while still in military service for some reason. It is in excellent condition except for some marring or other cosmetic damage to the front right side of the slide which (I think) was caused by it being left in a leather holster for too long.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I need to find one - there are not many in stock in these parts anyway, particularly genuine Colts. But I promised myself that this would be the year I finally picked up an '11.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Happy Birthday to ol' slabsides...and all of the variations!

There is just something about a Colt .45 that is just....

Happy birthday 1911. And a huge posthumous thank you to John Moses Browning. You done good right there old son.

Regards, Todd

I love my Kimber, I have the CDP II.

This is one of my absolute favorite platforms. I've been Colt Model "O" certified as a gunsmith for years. I love working on the 1911. I've built and modified so many of these over the years I've lost count.

I never thought about doing much to mine but what are some recommendations you suggest? Mine shoots flawless but curious what is available in enhancing the performance.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Went out to the pasture (front yard) to give some fireworks to the anniversary of the 1911 and ran 3 clips through the Colt...ummm, well...

One clip of Remington Golden Saber, two clips of Speer Gold Dot, and...

Worked like a charm. I think that I have it tuned well.

My Colt just has a full length recoil spring guide (with Wolff recoil springs I installed from a tuning kit), match barrel bushing, Bo-Mar low mount sights, ejection port lowered, chamber throated, feed ramp polished, slide mated to frame, ambi safety and extended slide release, skeleton trigger on the length that I need for my hand size, and a trigger job for 5 pounds of pull instead of 2 pounds...it's a carry (work) gun and they put a nice bit of slack in the trigger pull for safety.

And a few other things.

Your magazines (clips) are important also.

If you want to modify your weapon you need to know what you want it to do. :thumbup:

I have my grandfather's WWII issue 1911a1 in original condition. It was made by Remington Rand (the typewriter company rather than the gun company). The only non-original part is a Colt barrel from the same time period. Knowing my grandfather's general lack of interest in handguns I suspect the barrel was replaced while still in military service for some reason. It is in excellent condition except for some marring or other cosmetic damage to the front right side of the slide which (I think) was caused by it being left in a leather holster for too long.

Now that is awesome! Pics?

I never thought about doing much to mine but what are some recommendations you suggest? Mine shoots flawless but curious what is available in enhancing the performance.

Really depends on what level you purchased your gun at and what your intentions are with it. Like any other gun (car, motorcycle etc.) there is a nearly limitless availability of accessories for the 1911. Sights, magazine release levers, safeties, hammers, triggers, ambidextrous options, barrel upgrades, slide/frame enhancements.... The list goes on and on. That said, if you aren't competing with it and have been happy with it this long, chances are you don't really NEED to do anything at all to it.

The 1911 is my favorite all around pistol. It has great history, reliability, look, feel, and accuracy. IMHO it can't be beat.

.... That said, if you aren't competing with it and have been happy with it this long, chances are you don't really NEED to do anything at all to it.

Wisdom.

Alvin York didn't even have custom grips on his M1911. Didn't seem to slow the good Corporal down any.

proxy.php

Top Bottom