What's new

DST time change

Does anyone happen to remember the date of the old time change?

It's starting to get annoying with emails that come form servers that are showing an hour late.

It might be less annoying if I knew when they are going to change since they must be on the old date.

Daylight Savings was last Sunday in October and the first Sunday in April. As of 2007 daylight saving time changed to the second Sunday in March and the first Sunday in November.

Thanks guys. I'm making a file on my desktop to refer to in future. :)

I actually did a few google searches before posting and couldn't seem to find anything about the old dates it was all about the current dates.

Frankly, I wish our government would quit screwing around with the time and leave it alone. When I lived in Arizona, it was so nice not to have to fool with clock changes twice a year. Interestingly, according to a number of surveys, most people oppose DST, yet it continues to be forced on us year after year, while the justifications given for it is dubious at best.:thumbdown

I really tried to avoid my usual DST rant but cannot help myself. I despise it. And now that it is so far past the autumnal equinox it is just flat out annoying. For those of us past forty we remember when it was changed the LAST weekend in April and the last weekend in September. This was much better. The days were already longer so it did not matter much in the spring. Now I have a ten year old who will be complaining in another two weeks that light is shining in her window when we need her in bed at 8:30PM. This has been an out and out annoyance. Especially when they were younger and went to bed at 8:00PM.

And the fall. How could anyone be so idiotic? When it changed at just past equinox there was still such and even amount of day vs darkness that you really did not notice so much. Now with it in November it stays dark so long in the mornings that when the girls rode the bus they were getting on in total darkness. Ridiculous. But I especially dislike the psychological effect of darkness falling at 9:15 at summer solstice. Only those of us who live in places where 95-100(40C) are not especially uncommon for the summer knows the effect of thinking; "come on sundown so it will cool at least a little." I just like the idea that it would get dark at 8:00PM so you have another hour of darkness to at least let you think it is getting cooler for the night. This is why Arizona does not follow DST. At least they did not used to. I am unsure anymore. Anyway, I know I am in the minority but I just flat out hate it. It is for the golf and softball crowd.

Regards, Todd

Frankly, I wish our government would quit screwing around with the time and leave it alone. When I lived in Arizona, it was so nice not to have to fool with clock changes twice a year. Interestingly, according to a number of surveys, most people oppose DST, yet it continues to be forced on us year after year, while the justifications given for it is dubious at best.:thumbdown

The federal law that established "daylight time" in the United States does not require any area to observe daylight saving time. But if a state chooses to observe DST, it must follow the starting and ending dates set by the law.

You being from La. will find this interesting.

Published 14-Apr-2010

A new bill has recently been put forward for the state of Louisiana, in the United States (USA), to observe daylight saving time (DST) on all-year-round. If the proposal is successful, Louisiana will remain on Central Daylight Time (CDT), which is five hours behind Coordinated Universal Time, or UTC-5.
http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/louisiana-all-year-dst.html

Maybe you should find out what happened to this.

I really tried to avoid my usual DST rant but cannot help myself. I despise it. And now that it is so far past the autumnal equinox it is just flat out annoying. For those of us past forty we remember when it was changed the LAST weekend in April and the last weekend in September. This was much better. The days were already longer so it did not matter much in the spring. Now I have a ten year old who will be complaining in another two weeks that light is shining in her window when we need her in bed at 8:30PM. This has been an out and out annoyance. Especially when they were younger and went to bed at 8:00PM.

And the fall. How could anyone be so idiotic? When it changed at just past equinox there was still such and even amount of day vs darkness that you really did not notice so much. Now with it in November it stays dark so long in the mornings that when the girls rode the bus they were getting on in total darkness. Ridiculous. But I especially dislike the psychological effect of darkness falling at 9:15 at summer solstice. Only those of us who live in places where 95-100(40C) are not especially uncommon for the summer knows the effect of thinking; "come on sundown so it will cool at least a little." I just like the idea that it would get dark at 8:00PM so you have another hour of darkness to at least let you think it is getting cooler for the night. This is why Arizona does not follow DST. At least they did not used to. I am unsure anymore. Anyway, I know I am in the minority but I just flat out hate it. It is for the golf and softball crowd.

Regards, Todd

I join you in that minority.

I live in Flagstaff and things would be perfect without DST except....

A few miles away is the vast Navajo Reservation and the Navajos DO observe DST. Now, culturally, the Navajos are not good with time. The expression, "Navajo Time" basically means whenever one gets around to it.

So... that mindset coupled with a time change, within the State, can be very annoying. I was a criminal lawyer and a part-time Judge in Flagstaff and the judge's don't even bother to issue arrest warrants right away.

I like DST but have trouble getting used to getting up in the morning. This has to be about the third week and it's all I can do to make it to work on time.

I'll be glad when the ol' bod finally adjusts.

Top Bottom