What's new

How long does it take you to shave?

I know this issue has been talked about before. But its always worth revisiting as there are always new people here, and also because people's shave-time changes.

How long does it take you to shave.

I'm about 10 to 13 minutes.

You should make this a poll. :smile:

35-40 minutes from the second I step into the shower to the time I'm rubbing in the Proraso.

I can be done in five minutes if I shaved the day before and I only do one pass to clean things up a bit. I have also been known to take as much as an hour if I have a few days' growth, and I'm going for a close shave.

Most days I settle for two passes and ten minutes or so. It takes a very close inspection for someone else tell the difference between two quick passes and BBS, so I save the BBS for the days when I care enough to take the time.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I've been using a calendar, but I've recently been reading up on geologic time scales.

Let's see, I think we're in the cenozoic era, quaternary period, and holocene epoch.

I'm a newbie with 5 (count 'em five) shaves under my belt (4 of them quite good, one barely satisfactory. It takes me 17-20 minutes with about 3-4 passes. I'm glad to here some have it down to 10 because I'd like to be able to most of my shaves in that amount of time - down the road - taking longer when time permits. For now, 20 minutes is acceptable, particularly given the novelty factor.

I take my time. Generally, I shave late-morning or early-afternoon. I shave before I go to the gym, and I shower after my workout; so, skin/beard preparation is important.

I take my time. I don't hurry when building the lather (I used to do it on my face; now I use a bowl). After I initially lather my face, I use my fingertips to massage the lather into my beard; then I wrap my face with a hot towel and let it sit there for a while.

I take my time. I've learned to be methodical and deliberate when I shave. Having a routine doesn't mean not paying attention -- when I'm using a sharp blade anywhere near my face-and-fingers, I become focused.

I take my time. I like to go for a BBS shave every time. Sometimes that requires three passes, sometimes four passes; invariably, it requires a little touch-up work.

I take my time. I use a hot towel between each pass. I use the same towel for a final hot rinse, then a final cold rinse. Then I pat my face dry, and apply witch hazel. Then I use a fresh towel to dry-off my disassembled razor and the bathroom sink and counter-top. Then I shpritz on the cologne or EDT I've chosen.

I take my time. About 30-40 minutes for a shave. They say "Time's money". I say that doesn't apply to shaving; instead, I hold by MasterCard: "Some things are priceless".

YTMV.

I generally run 20+ minutes.

Fetch stuff, preshave routine (soapy wash, Noxzema or Proraso Pre, rinse), take time to build a proper lather, 3 pass shave plus T&C, postshave (alum, cold face wash, WH+Aloe), Cleanup (razor, brush, dry Alum bar, wash and dry sink/counter top), put up stuff, add EdT.

With Shower, the above shave, hair, dress, out the door, I figure 40+ minutes or so on average.

-- John Gehman

I like to take it slow and really enjoy the shave. If I'm only doing a 1-pass shave it takes about 10 minutes including prep. About 15 minutes for a 2-pass.
For every minute that I shave each day, I spend an additional 10 minutes thinking about shaving :w00t: !!

From the time I turn on the tap to wash my beard at the sink, until I rinse the alum, dry my face, and apply aftershave: under 9 minutes. (8.5 minutes the last time I timed it.) I don't hurry, but gradually I've become efficient and don't waste much time. I use a razor that already has a blade in it, and I build the lather directly on my beard, which doesn't take much time. That's a three-pass shave overall (4 passes on upper lip: 2 across-the-grain passes there).

I always shave after the shower. Time from getting in the shower to finishing cleaning up the bathroom is about 40 minutes. Of course, I'm trying to get used toa straight razor so there's stropping in there, and I'm going extra slow.

With a DE I'm showered and shaved in 30 minutes or less.

It depends on what I am using for the shave. During the week, I shave at night. Since I don't shower before the shave, I'll apply one round of lather and leave it on my face for about 3 minutes. Then down to work. It takes about 10 minutes. With a straight razor, I'll spend about 15. Part of that time includes stropping time.

Randy

I use straight razors, and spend 20 mins over a shave. If I want to make myself really smooth, have a really luixurious shave, 30 mins.

20-30 min. I love the whole process of prepping the beard, soaking the brush, warming the bowl and building a rich lather. It's 10 min. before the blade even touches my skin. 10 min. to shave. 5-10 for post and clean up.

A quick once over with the shavette takes me about 15mins from start to finish. A full on shave (on myself) like I give to my clients takes about 1/2 hour. It takes about 40 mins on clients because I really take my time to avoid burn and amputations :w00t:

Cheers

Mat

It usually takes me 30-40 minutes, but I take my time and enjoy the "me" time alone in the man-cave.

If I had somewhere to be, I can shower and shave in 25 minutes.

DE shave is about 10-15 min. If I use Hydrolast (Method Shave), which is what I usually do when pick up the DE, it's closer to 10 min.

With the straight (about 75% of my shaves these days) I usually go about 20-25. I do more prep and take my time with the blade. Although it's longer for me, I find the straight shave process very enjoyable.

I deliberately choose not to pay attention to the time it takes. I choose to shave at a time when I'm not hurried, such as at night after work or on a saturday morning, so it doesn't matter. Besides, watching (or even thinking about) the clock might suck some of the enjoyment out of it for me.

Top Bottom