What's new

2 band comparison

Well, of sorts anyways. I generally like 24mm knots so all of these are close to that save the chubby 2 which has been sold as of yesterday, but I included it in the pictures for the benefit of the community.

The contenders in no particular order: New Forest Tubby 1, Simpsons Chubby 2, Rooney Heritage Stubby 1XL, Vie Long 2 band, Custom Shavemac, M&F blonde badger, TGN 24mm fan in vintage handle, and a Semogue 2 band.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Overhead shot order as follows: 1st row: M&F, 1XL Rooney, Semogue SOC. 2nd row, Shavemac, Simpson, New Forest. Third row, TGN 24mm Fan, Vie Long 16726.

Update 3-29-11, New Forest Tubby 1

Okay today was my first time with the tubby. No pictures of lather shots for the simple reason it was the first time...all brushes may require a little different technique than others so I wanted to be fair.

I use somewhat of an oddball lathering technique, I typically load the brush and make a small amount of lather in a bowl...then reload and proceed to lather my face. In between passes I may dip into the small bowl and pick up a little extra lather, but this typically doesnt happen to the 3rd or 4th pass. On this round, I would use Acca Kappa 1869 out of the tub....and I learned right away that my usual technique was a bad choice with this brush.

This brush holds a decent amount of water, retains heat well...and will absorb a deceptive amount of product. Suffice to say, I did not need my small bowl and all 4 passes were done with the brush, no reloading. And in fact when I rinsed it out, there was still a ton of product in the brush. I was really surprised by the amount this 24mm knot would hold....at one point I had so much lather the brush handle had become engulfed and I actually dropped the brush....luckily I caught it before it struck anything.

Backbone is decent...by that I mean nothing stellar, but not entirely lacking either. The tips are very soft. Its not a scrubby brush.

The biggest complaint...its a shedder so far. 10-15 hairs on the initial loading and first pass. After that things seemed to have settled down.....I'm hoping so, I've never had a brush shed this much on its initial use.

Update 3-30-11 Semogue SOC 2 band

Peter had contacted me last night about the shedding problem, something he is concerned with and has contacted his knot maker about combing out the loose hairs more effectively. So hopefully future brushes will not exhibit this problem, or at least not in the extreme I have noticed.

Onto todays test....Semogue SOC 2 band. Soap used today was Benton Clays vetiver paradasi....a lovely smelling grapefruit/vetiver combination. The tips have a bit of scritch to them, but being a new brush this may very well go away with more time. Backbone was decent.....I should clarify this comment, I typically use 3 band brushes....a TGN extra stuffed super badger and a Semogue 2010 LE. When I say decent, I am comparing to these brushes I normally use..meaning, theres a little more backbone but nothing earth shattering there. Its not floppy by any means, just nothing spectacular either. Density on this brush as I said in another post is about average for its price range. It did not shed a single hair. It did have some badger funk to it, but this is pretty common and it wasnt as hideous as a vie long funk. It absorbed an decent amount of water, absorbed a normal amount of soap/cream product and retained heat nicely. As with the New Forest tubby, I dont find this to be a real scrubby brush.

In direct comparison to the New Forest Tubby 1, the tubby wins in tips dept, backbone is even between the two as is density. The tubby will absorb more product which may or may not be a good thing depending on how you lather, I found it useful that I could make 3 passes and a 4th touch up pass without having to reload the brush. The Tubby did not have any badger funk to it. BUT, the Semogue did not shed a single hair which may end up being the achilles heel of the new forest tubby brush.

The last thing I forgot to mention was a price comparison...the Tubby 1 was sold to me for 43 GBP, around 70 dollars shipped which is a good chunk of money less than the SOC. In fact, the tubby 1 is the second cheapest brush in the round up, only one being cheaper of course the TGN knot and vintage handle. If Peter can remedy the potential shedding problem, it would be very easy to recommend the tubby 1 for those on a budget.

Simpson Chubby 1 on order from bullgooseshaving, simpson needs to be represented in this shoot out

Update 3-31-11 Morris and Forndran blonde badger

Going into the shave this morning I was hoping to be surprised by the M&F....it just wasnt too impressive sitting there with the rest of the brushes. I was in for a surprise, good and not so good (bad is too strong).

This brush like the others absorbed water well, retained heat well, and absorbed a good amount of product....not as much as the new forest, but more than the Semogue. On the first lather pass I immediately noticed two things. This brush had more backbone than I initially would have guessed which is the good......the not so good is the tips were rather scritchy. I'm hoping this goes away once its broken in, but its more than tolerable at this point. This brush is more of a scrubber than the other two, which is a good thing for the face lather crowd. If the tips break in nicely and soften up I think its a real winner. One single hair shed during the usual 3 pass shave.....this brush did have a bit of funk to it, but we all know that eventually goes away.

The handle is simple yet elegant....I like that its a white white and not an ivory like so many other brushes. I really like the font used for the logo/writing, very nicely done.

Overall this brush is interesting...it puts up good backbone, more of a scrubber than the other two, but has scritchy tips and less density than the other two. The last thing to factor in is cost...price on these brushes has varied wildly, but at the time I bought mine I paid 105 shipped to my door. That makes this brush the most expensive tested THUS far. If the tips can soften up over time I would rate this above the semogue and a little advantage over the new forest (pending the shedding stops) since it has better backbone and a classier handle shape/logo.

Last edited:
Are you planning on comparing them when it comes to lathering? (pictures *crosses my fingers*) or feel on the face? or backbone?

Are you planning on comparing them when it comes to lathering? (pictures *crosses my fingers*) or feel on the face? or backbone?

Of course! haha, I was waiting for the Tubby to arrive and it came today.....all of the brushes are new except the 1XL....which was well cared for and looks new to me anyways also.

I will be making some comments about initial impressions soon.

Wow, I've owned all these save the semogue, NF, and chubby 2 band.

My favorite of the bunch is the Shavemac D01 2-band flat top. Very dense with silky soft tips and plenty of backbone (though mine is incredibly low lofted).

The Rooney XL would probably be my next pick. Amazingly soft brush with plenty of density and backbone.

M&F would be my third place getter. Great backbone, lacking on density and scritchy tips at first that are slowly softening up.

The TGN 24mm fan is a really nice knot for the price. Dense enough with decent backbone and the softest tips of all the TGN finest sized knots I've tried.

The Vie-long is also insanely soft, but lacks both density and backbone.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the rest of these I haven't tried in relation to each other. :thumbup1:

The shavemac is probably the king of that collection. I got mine on bernds thank you sale and ~160 shipped buys you a lot of brush and a lot of options. Extreme flat top, 24mm knot 48mm loft. 2 band D01 hair.

Simpson, well known for their density is a great brush also and has ton of backbone. Only gripe is the cost of one and the size....I needed a chubby 1.

Rooney 1XL..nice tips, good backbone but behind simpson and shavemac, good density. I've heard others say the standard heritage brushes were floppy and the XL series fixed this problem. Being a 25mm knot with 46mm loft I would have thought it would be a pretty stiff brush.

M&F....I'm not overly impressed with this initially. Its really just middle of the road on everything. Like you say, good backbone, lacks density, tips on mine arent too bad but should break in nicely.

New Forest.....with all the griping lately, this is one of the new tubbys with the handle made in england and logo printed there. It has a nice solid feel, just as good as any of the others. Density is a little better than the M&F, decent backbone, tips are decent also. I might give these a slight edge over the M&F initially, but as these brushes break in and get more use we'll see how things go.

Semogue Owners club....Good backbone, soft tips, density on par for its price range. Good all around brush for its price range.

TGN...dirt cheap, lacks density, decent back bone and decent tips. If you have the know how and want to be cheap, stuff it into a vintage handle like I did and you'll have a decent brush.

Vie long.....exactly what you said. Softest tips by far out of the collection, however lack of density and backbone actually make it the odd duck in the group. If Vie would stuff the brushes with extra hair and maybe go to a 24mm knot with the 48mm loft it might stand up to other brushes better.

And theres my initial thoughts on these brushes. Really this can be broken down into two categories.....the brushes over 100 and the ones below. When you hit the 1XL, Chubby, Shavemac price range the first thing a person notices is the density of the brushes.

Last edited:
Excellent thread! I really like the photos and eagerly await your comparison after further use. I would say you have covered the gamut of popular 2 bands and could do a little 2 band brush wars ala Joel if you wanted. I notice quite a difference in the shape of the knots, from light bulb to fan to flat top. Any thoughts on how this relates to face feel and perceived density?

btw, that Chubby 2 looks like a monster next to the others.

Excellent thread! I really like the photos and eagerly await your comparison after further use. I would say you have covered the gamut of popular 2 bands and could do a little 2 band brush wars ala Joel if you wanted. I notice quite a difference in the shape of the knots, from light bulb to fan to flat top. Any thoughts on how this relates to face feel and perceived density?

btw, that Chubby 2 looks like a monster next to the others.

Initial use of tubby 1 is posted, see first post.

Fans seem to have a little less perceived backbone than light bulb knots because the hairs are closer in length...with a light bulb shape you have a lot of shorter hairs around the outside which provide more support for the inner/longer hairs. On the flip side of that, fan and the flat top have more hairs in contact with your face..and will seem like you are using a much larger brush if you're used to the light bulb shape.

The Shavemac is well stuffed no doubt....the contact area of the 24mm flat top feels about the same as putting the 26-27mm chubby 2 to your face. So in a way, you can have the feel of a monster brush with a much smaller knot if you go with an extreme flat top.

Ultimately though the test will come when the brushes get used for their first time. Stay tuned for more!

Test is limited to 2 band brushes. Show me where to buy a rooney finest 2 band 3/1 and I'll buy it for the test.

I bought these brushes as some of them became available. One here, one there...it was a little over a month long process. Unfortunately I didnt pick a chubby 1 super up, thought I could manage the 2 but alas that thing was just too much for me.

Test is limited to 2 band brushes. Show me where to buy a rooney finest 2 band 3/1 and I'll buy it for the test.

I bought these brushes as some of them became available. One here, one there...it was a little over a month long process. Unfortunately I didnt pick a chubby 1 super up, thought I could manage the 2 but alas that thing was just too much for me.

Only on BST as far as I know.

Ken

Bump to the top......today I tested the Semogue SOC 2 band and received some feedback from Peter on the tubby shedding problem.

If you are trying to score a Rooney Finest, you kind of take what you can get. But if you can choose, I'd recommend the size 2 knot rather than size 1. Just MHO.

Oh, got a question for you ctkelly. How many uses do you plan for each brush before posting an opinion? Most 2 bands are known for a break in period. Heck, I'm probably months away from breaking in my Finest. Don't want the 2 band comparison to end up like the Pepsi challenge.

For now its initial impressions...second usage I will gather some lather photos. From there the final conclusion will probably be months away or as the brushes reach their final break in point.

And on that note, I plan to use a tgn knot and experiment with placing the tips in a ultrasonic cleaner to see if it is possible to speed up break in. I have done a whole brush before and it changes the feel somewhat.

Last edited:
Update 4-1-11 TGN finest, Chubby 1 has landed!

Last night I setup the TGN knot into a vintage ever ready handle. The knot is a 24mm, fan shape, finest from TGN.....note this is not an extra stuffed model. I short lofted the knot at 43-44mm because it was a fan shape and a normal density model. I did a small experiment when setting up this particular brush...mainly because I wanted to see if badger funk is really from the badger hair, or the epoxy being used. The epoxy I use to fill the handle has a very distinct smell....I typically fill the handle to the approximate level I require, let it harden.....as it hardens it tends to dish in the middle and allows me to apply a second epoxy to the plug and dished area, which results in epoxy bonding to the sides of the plug and bottom. This time, I would fill the handle higher and just set the knot and let the epoxy harden.

Conculsion of the test....more than likely the vast majority if "badger funk" we experience is due to the epoxy used to set the knot. Vie long and the semogue 2010 LE badger both have a very similar smell to them....and I doubt its the badger. I've had several TGN knots and none demonstrated a particular smell when set in the normal fashion I do.....this time, It was very clear that the scent of the epoxy had been asborbed into the hairs.

Onto to the test....The brush absorbed a good amount of water, but was below average on product absorbed like the previous brushes tested before it...heat retention was okay, also below the others. The tips on this brush however were very very soft, no scritch here. Backbone was decent, but still falls short of the scrubby brush category which the M&F is the only one to reach so far. The fan shape did provide more contact area with the face and with these soft tips it was pure heaven from that stand point. If you face lather and prefer something soft, look hard at a 24mm TGN finest knot.

This knot did not shed a single hair.....it should be noted that most TGN extra stuffed knots will shed a few hairs here and there and eventually settle down, just the nature of the beast when stuffing more hairs into a plug I suppose.

Now onto some direct comparisons within the TGN family. It has been speculated by some members familiar with TGN knots that the 2 band finest is the best knot offered by them....specifically, the 24mm. I own and regularly use a 24mm TGN super badger knot, extra stuffed set at 48mm....I can say the 24mm finest has equally if not slightly better tips than the super badger. I've also owned two 26mm finest brushes that rudy vey spun up for me some time ago and while they were excellent brushes/knots in their own right, the 24mm was superior to the 26mm finest knots.

Cost break down....roughly 30 dollars for the knot and shipping, 3 dollars for that vintage handle, and some elbow grease removing the knot, enlarging the hole, setting up new knot etc etc...call it 38 dollars total invested. If you have the know how and arent afraid to do a little work, this is a very reasonable route for those of us on a budget.

Update 4-2-11, Rooney 1xl tested

Boy I was excited for this one. Ever since I laid my hands onto this brush I had really high expectations of it. Im not sure why, but I just felt like it was a real winner. I was in for a bit of a surprise with this brush.

Density is excellent on this brush, considering the ones I've reviewed so far this is in the top 3 for density coming in behind simpson and shavemac. This brush is a 25mm knot set to a low 46mm loft, which would make one think it should have great back bone. Well in use, it has good backbone, but I think its actually behind the Morris and Forndran brush in the backbone dept. The tips are soft, I did notice a small amount of scritch....substantially less than the Morris and Forndran, I would venture a guess this will go away quickly once the brush has had more use. Oddly, when I left my brush to soak and returned to shave....it seemed it hadn't absorbed much water compared to the others. It did pick up a good amount of product but I was forced to introduce some water into the mix several times to get things just right. It retained heat well.

This one was a bit of a surprise for me. I wouldnt categorize this as a scrubby brush, it does exhibit good backbone but not as much as the M&F. I guess I might call this a TGN 24mm finest knot on steroids, I mean this in a very nice way. For the face lather crowd that likes a soft tipped brush with good backbone but doesn't cross into the scrubby area, or maybe if you have sensitive skin this is a very capable brush thats gentle. Really there isnt much I could say would make this a better brush, it has good density, the loft is short, its a 25mm knot...it just didn't end up where I thought it would in this shoot out. Dont get me wrong here, I'm not saying this is a bad brush by any means....it was just really different than what I expected.

Last edited:
Since I pretty much refused to deal with the monstrosity known as the chubby 2, I felt some may think this test was biased since there wasn't a simpson product being represented here. I would enlist the help of well known vendor here at badger and blade, Dr Phil.....err, okay its just Phil from Bullgooseshaving. Phil is known for his quick shipping, reasonable pricing (hey he even had a sale going too!) and excellent service and knowledge. But, to be fair.....the simpson maybe a ringer as I told Phil to pick me a good one....lol, he had 3 or 4 so its not like he scoured a vast collection to pick the best ever chubby 1, but he did deliver a beauty!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Okay this last photo should be some interest.....Top left, Rooney 1XL, 25mm knot....Top Right, shavemac 24mm knot, bottom left....chubby 1, 23mm knot....and lastly....the vie long 23mm knot. One of these does not belong with the others, can you guess which one? haha

Top Bottom