What's new

Help finding particular Seiko SKX

My wife is getting me a few different watches for our 5th wedding anniversary. One is going to be a Seiko SKX. That said, I'm looking for a particular color combination and I'm having trouble tracking the model number down. What I'm looking for is very similar to the SKX009, except I would like the bezel to be black/red instead of blue/red. The face can be either black or dark grey, but I particularly want black/red instead of blue/red around the bezel. I also want to keep the 4 o'clock crown and 40+ mm size, unlike the SNK033. As for band, I'm just looking for the least expensive since I'll replace it with a leather deployment clasp and/or Breitling link style band anyway.

Also, are there any major benefits to the "J" model SKX watches instead of the "K" models? I understand the "J" models use Japanese made movements, but they are all 7S26, so are the Japanese movements that superior?

Any direction on the model I'm looking for? Hopefully it exists.

Seiko watches in the lower grades are machine made and assembled so there is no difference whether the watch is made in Singapore or Japan.

As to the watch you are talking about, that sounds like a Pepsi Bezel and to my knowledge they only come in that color however Seiko makes so many different watch and color combination you should be able to find one you like. Visit the Seiko and Citizen Watch Forum the guys there are real experts in those watches.

I really don't need another forum or collection... if I join another and my wife finds out, I'll be getting socks for our anniversary.

Anyone have any more detailed guidance on the SKX line? What makes it even harder is the blue/red bezel often LOOKS black/red in online pictures, making it even harder to tell what you're REALLY looking at.

Chronograph.com has one of the biggest selections of Seikos, along with bezels, bracelets, etc.

It looks like some of them are the black/red bezel combo you're looking for. You can email them to see if they have what you're looking for.

I'd also reconsider checking out the Seiko forum - there are guys who have A LOT of knowledge about modern Seikos - lots of guys collect and modify them with different bezel, dial combinations, etc. There's a guy who goes by "Yobokies" (I think) who's well-known third-party who modifies them.

My wife is getting me a few different watches for our 5th wedding anniversary. One is going to be a Seiko SKX. That said, I'm looking for a particular color combination and I'm having trouble tracking the model number down. What I'm looking for is very similar to the SKX009, except I would like the bezel to be black/red instead of blue/red. The face can be either black or dark grey, but I particularly want black/red instead of blue/red around the bezel. I also want to keep the 4 o'clock crown and 40+ mm size, unlike the SNK033. As for band, I'm just looking for the least expensive since I'll replace it with a leather deployment clasp and/or Breitling link style band anyway.

Also, are there any major benefits to the "J" model SKX watches instead of the "K" models? I understand the "J" models use Japanese made movements, but they are all 7S26, so are the Japanese movements that superior?

Any direction on the model I'm looking for? Hopefully it exists.

From what I've found there is no red/black bezel available stock from Seiko... all of the SKX009 and SKX175 models have blue/red bezel inserts, even though MANY of the pictures online (stock and user) make the bezel look black.

That said, it looks like a custom black/red "Coke" bezel insert can be ordered for around $20 from a few different sources. I guess the most prudent thing to do would be receive the stock SKX009 from my wife and then decide if I want to mod the bezel.

Now I just hope she doesn't skin me for replacing the band with an Super Oyster or Super Engineer right away...

From what I've found there is no red/black bezel available stock from Seiko... all of the SKX009 and SKX175 models have blue/red bezel inserts, even though MANY of the pictures online (stock and user) make the bezel look black.

That said, it looks like a custom black/red "Coke" bezel insert can be ordered for around $20 from a few different sources. I guess the most prudent thing to do would be receive the stock SKX009 from my wife and then decide if I want to mod the bezel.

Now I just hope she doesn't skin me for replacing the band with an Super Oyster or Super Engineer right away...

Agreed - I have never seen and don't think they've made the "pepsi" bezel in black/red.

I have an SKX175 which is a fantastic watch from top to bottom. And it is worth changing out the stock jubilee or rubber for a super oyster.

I have a 173 with the stock rubber, jubilee and super oyster bands. I prefer the jubilee over them all! But that's what makes these watches so fun - TONS of options! Good luck on the bezel mod!

What are the differences between the Super Oyster and regular Oyester? Is it just the fat spring pins and clasp? I'm considering a third-party oyster that's much more like the Super Oyster but with a somewhat proprietary single-sided button deployment clasp.

The Jubilee just seems too thin, light, and old for my tastes. I have a two-tone jubilee on a very thin/light Presidential Day-Date style quartz Seiko I received as a graduation gift back in '01, but it rarely gets worn.

Anyone know of a Breitling style bracelet other than the Super Engineer (which seems expensive at $80ish)?

Top Bottom