What's new

Ballard Organics Shaving Bar Soap Bay Rum

Has anyone tried this soap. My first shaving soap was Edwin Jagger Aloe its starting to run a little low and I ordered this. Usually i like some form of Aloe but i can add my own. I read the ingredients it seem to me like something i would like to use.

Made with Organic Oils

High Quality Ingredients for High Quality Skin.™

Bay Rum Shaving Soap has a classic sweet and spicy aroma that entices your imagination. Our custom blend of essential oils and French Green Clay ensure a smooth shave that clarifies and hydrates you skin.

Non Toxic
Biodegradable
Not tested on animals
Vegan
Soy Free
Gluten Free
At Ballard Organics Soap Company our passion is soap. We make one of the best soaps you'll ever use. We are committed to creating the highest quality soap. Our soaps contain no animal products, no synthetic fragrances, no artificial preservatives or dyes. All of our base oils and herbs are certified organic.

This product is certified organic by the Washington State Department of Agriculture

Made in the USA

Saponified Olive Oil (organic), Saponified Coconut Oil (organic), Saponified Palm Oil (organic), Water, Saponified Castor Oil (organic), Essential Oil Blend:, Bay Laurel (Laurus Nobilis) Essential Oil, Cinnamon (Cinnamomum Cassia) Essential Oil, Clove (Eugenia Caryophyilus) Essential Oil, Bergamot (Citrus Aurantium Bergamia) Essential Oil, Cypress (Cupressus Sempervirens) Essential Oil, French Green Clay, Non-GMO Vitamin E (from sunflower oil)

I'm curios to hear your impressions of this soap.

While I'm a user of Olive Oil based bar soap, their seems to be a school of thought around here that Olive Oil as a first or second ingredient in a shave soap should activate your "probably won't lather well" radar.

Only one way to tell, though, so please post your experience with the soap.

Last edited:
I will let you know when it arrives TopGumby. I can only compare it to Edwin jagger as this is my second purchase of shaving soap...

Here is my forum post on Ballard Organics:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=191093&highlight=ballard+organics

In summary, as a shave soap the Ballard Organics Bayrum is horrible, the lather was thin, thin just like sudsed up hand soap. No matter what variation of water and amount of product I used, I could not get it too lather. And, as you can imagine, it shaved even worse than it lathered.

If it hasn't actually shipped yet, I would suggest you cancel the order.

Funny thing is - as a Bay rum scent - it is the absolute best I have smelled. Better than Pinaud Bayrum, ogallala bay rum/sandlewood shave soap, Col Conk, and Mama Bears. I really enjoyed it using it as a shower soap. If it wasn't so expensive relative to other hand soaps, i would use it for shower soap all the time.

Also, I sent feedback to the company AND in the history of the forum I found that they actually posted here a couple times several years ago. i offered to be a tester if they wanted to improve their formulation, but did not receive a response.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SeattleSparky
ANY TIPS FOR GETTING A GOOD LATHER?? SOME folks on here have had troubles I GUESS.

Eeks. Why the yelling?

Ballard Organics shaving soaps may not have the same lather as commercial shaving products you've used. The intention of our shaving soaps is to provide a good shave with high quality certified organic ingredients. All of our soaps are vegan and therefore do not have tallow common in shaving products to produce a high lather. Many conventional shaving products also have additives to produce lather which are not allowed in an organic product. In creating this recipe I used a formula that has a high ratio of castor oil which contributes lather and moisturizing properties.

Sorry to hear the soap isn't working for you. If it's not to your liking then take it back to your retailer.

Top Bottom