What's new

What to do when flying...

My wife and I are going on a trip in a month that will require the use of an airplane (out of the country). I would much rather take along a straight razor than packing my electric... How do you guys handle taking a straight when flying? I have checked, and I would rather not pay $15 each way to check a bag, especially when my razor is not worth a ton of money. I have thought about trying to find a straight when I get there (but who knows what I might find if anything), or maybe sending myself a package containing a razor to the hotel. What do you all think? I know for sure that I won't be trying to take it as a carry on! I had my bottle opener taken away because it had a useless 1/2" blade on it, and that was a few years ago.

Thanks. More or less what I thought. I did a search for "airplane", and only found people saying how they got their straights through security... I didn't want to even attempt that. I guess what people suggest is about what I came up with, either send it ahead of time, check it, or use something else.

...I would rather not pay $15 each way to check a bag, especially when my razor is not worth a ton of money....
What airline is charging you for one bag?

EDIT (much later...): OK - Guess I must have had my head in a bucket or something. I made ~6-8 overseas trips last year and ~1-2 domestic trips - always on SW. Haven't paid any baggage fees at all. Guess things have changed....:blink:

Last edited:
I would take a twin-pack of Bic Comforts (Sensitives or Metals would also work) and Proraso cream (used brushless). Good shave, no need to use an electric and no worries about losing expensive/sentimental/etc. shave gear. But that's just me.

Thanks,
Mike

Flying is really a pain now what with all the restrictions. :thumbdown The only way to take a straight along with you is to check a bag. :mad3:

If you can try flying Southwest, they don't charge for bags. :thumbup1:

I guess when I say I checked, I really mean my wife checked... I will have to look into the possibility of 1 bag free... If so, the only question is do we want to check any luggage or not!

I just arrived in Argentina flying American, and they did not charge for one checked bag on international flights.

The customs official did ask me to open my luggage after x-raying and saw the two straights. After they saw the strop and other materials there was no problem... a recent nick under my lip also helped :001_rolle

Checked is the only way to fly with straights... don't even try not checking... unless you want to lose it and experience potential delays or worse.

That is the first I have heard of airlines charging to check one bag. Last time I flew (my family went on a trip a few months ago). You are allowed to check 2 bags each here (under a certain weight) for FREE. I would look into it more closely.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
CHECK IT. Okay, so you think your razor isn't worth the cost to check a bag... fine. But what is it worth to be able to shave in your accustomed manner with your usual gear?

Don't count on finding a good, shave-ready razor at your destination. You already got one that you are happy with. Take that one. Yes, you COULD take a couple of throwaway BICs, but do you really want to do that? I wouldn't. I would take a favorite razor, mug, brush, soap, and strop.

I was wrong on two accounts...
First, the bag fee on first bag is $25, not $15 like I said.
Second, it applies to flights inside the USA only. First bag is free to Mexico, and most other places. Second bag would be $30 however. I assume this is per passenger, I don't know why it wouldn't be.
I guess now the question is, do we want to check the luggage... I always hate waiting to get luggage...

As to shaving with my usual gear in my usual manner, I have been at this a bit over a week, so although I like straight razor shaving, I wouldn't say it's going to break my spirit if I can't shave with it on vacation. I would just throw in my electric which by that time won't have seen ANY action in over a month!

Definitely don't brandish it while screaming "you can't take my precious Wosty!!!" That will probably put a crimp in your travel plans forever.

Me, I'm more concerned with somebody ganking it out of my luggage. When I travel I bring my Double Arrow and Filly. Surprisingly good shaves on the road, and if they're stolen I'm only out 30 bucks.

I don't think I've ever gone overseas without checking in luggage. You either travel very light or you're one of those people that tries to cram a huge bag in the overhead locker.

Posting a straight to your destination before you go isn't a bad idea.

If you are curious about the baggage fees and restrictions on different airlines, Orbitz has collected a lot of the information here:
https://faq.orbitz.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13002

Excellent resource! You can even check different airlines baggage policies right from their page without having to go looking on other websites. Thank you!

As to traveling light, we do. We are going to a tropical location, so a few swimsuits, t-shirts, shorts, sandals, etc... no need for a laptop or heavy clothing... If we were going somewhere cold, that would be different!

Tomorrow morning early AM me and the wife will be heading out of the country. I packed a straight, all sharpened up nice and sharp, along with a belt for a strop (and a belt), a styptic pencil, and some shaving cream in a tube (something I could find locally). I should be all set for a week of shaving, provided my blade doesn't go dull, or my luggage doesn't turn up missing, or...

Top Bottom