What's new

Kimchi

Could live on this stuff,anyone else brew it?
proxy.php

Is so simple to make,only thing that is a must is to get real Korean chili powder (Gochugaru) eat this stuff every day you will never get a cold or the flu.

Being in South Korea, I have developed quite the affinity for this. It can make or break a meal. Sometimes I get it where it has fermented for too long and has a heavy vinegar, almost spoiled taste and it's no good. Please share your recipe so I can make this when I get home.

I just sort of dump and pour but basically:
2 lb napa cabbage (cut up) in a large bowl or SS pot add 3rd cup Kosher salt,mix well.
Add water to cover,wgt it down with plate or lid let set at room temp over night.
Next morning drain (save the brine)
In a small bowl mix: 3/4 cup Korean Chili powder with,1Tbl soy sauce,1/8 cup fish sauce.
Put the drained cabbage back in the bowl add 5 cloves minced garlic, couple tbls minced ginger,some chopped up carrots (couple cups) large bunch chopped scallions.
Mix all well (wear rubber gloves) pack all in jars,pour in brine to cover,mix well again.
Leave the loosley coverd jars at room temp for 3/4 days, will be fermenting so do not cover with lids (may explode)
Taste after a couple days,if you like it newish,cover and refridgerate,some let it go and get real funky,when okay to you your done,keeps a long time in the fridge.
But If you eat it like I do,you will make it every week.Enjoy
Some people add dakin radish, turnips, whatever.

I just sort of dump and pour but basically:
2 lb napa cabbage (cut up) in a large bowl or SS pot add 3rd cup Kosher salt,mix well.
Add water to cover,wgt it down with plate or lid let set at room temp over night.
Next morning drain (save the brine)
In a small bowl mix: 3/4 cup Korean Chili powder with,1Tbl soy sauce,1/8 cup fish sauce.
Put the drained cabbage back in the bowl add 5 cloves minced garlic, couple tbls minced ginger,some chopped up carrots (couple cups) large bunch chopped scallions.
Mix all well (wear rubber gloves) pack all in jars,pour in brine to cover,mix well again.
Leave the loosley coverd jars at room temp for 3/4 days, will be fermenting so do not cover with lids (may explode)
Taste after a couple days,if you like it newish,cover and refridgerate,some let it go and get real funky,when okay to you your done,keeps a long time in the fridge.
But If you eat it like I do,you will make it every week.Enjoy
Some people add dakin radish, turnips, whatever.

Excellent recipe! I have a lot of that stuff in my house right now.
figure it would be good with any vegetables wont it?

Oh, you're talking about CABBAGE. The kimchi I like most is the "winter kimchi", made with those big radishes, etc. MUCH better than "hot sauce on cabbage", as I sometimes call it.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Mmmmmm Good....Kimchi w/ Sticky Rice. :w00t:

Christopher
proxy.php
"[It is the] innovator, experimenter, [and] missionary in bringing the gospel of good cooking to the home table." Craig Claiborne

I love Kimchi! Going to have to give this a try, there's no Korean restaurants where I live now. I used to go to one with a Korean friend of mine, and the first time I ordered the Kimchi soup, the waiter looked at my friend and they spoke to each other in Korean before he left.

She told me that he said I didn't know what I was asking for and that she should tell me to pick something else!:lol: She had to reassure him twice that I knew what i was doing. Man that stuff was good.

From one AD to the next...went to one of the local Asian markets over the weekend and picked up the veggies to make this (had sourced the chili powder from another market locally). I'm doing a fridge version (using vinegar instead of natural ferment)...can't wait for it to be ready to sample (it's in the salting stage)...smells so good right now.

Top Bottom