What's new

How much of a difference does 2mm make?

I know that jumping from a 26mm knot to a 28mm knot may not be a big transition but I am more curious say going from a 20mm knot to a 22mm knot or 22mm to a 24mm knot.

*NOTE* This is from the same manufacturer and same hair, with the proportions of loft. So lets just talk about the sizing and forget other variables.

So here is my dilemma, I have a 24mm knot in silver that I think is too big. I am looking to go smaller but was curious if going down 2mm would be a difference or if I should just go down 4mm. I know that most of this is going to be subjective, but would like some thoughts and perspectives. Anyone else have this same problem?

Hmmm. Hard to say without having the brushes side by side. I'd say my 22mm knot brush seems noticeably smaller than my 24mm brushes. But depending on hair type and loft, there is quite a difference. If I don't suggest this, someone else will, so... Get one of each! Try them out and sell the one you don't want on the B/S/T. Who knows, you may be a smaller brush sorta guy. And unless you are looking at Plissons, that size of brush shouldn't break the bank.

If the lofts are the same 2 mm will be a noticeable but not enormous difference. However if you contacted the vendor and they happen to have a brush 2mm smaller and several mm shorter that would be a real size down. The shorter loft would make for a slightly scrubbier brush though.

Also of note is that if you went from a 24mm brush with X loft, to a 22mm brush with X loft the 22 would be slightly more floppy. This is why when most brushes step down in knot size, they also step down in loft size by a couple mm. Normally the 22mm brush would have loft in the ball park of X - (2 or 3mm).

I have one at 20mm and 2 at 22mm and I've been looking at a 24mm wondering if it will be too big. I feel a big difference between 20mm Berkeley and 22mm Colonel, but I don't know how much is due to the shorter loft and handle as opposed to the knot size. Here's a size comparison:

Attachments

• $3 brushes.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 153
If you want a noticeable difference then I would say go the full 4mm. My brushes have a 5mm difference (20,25 and 30) and they are a good graduating set.

I have one at 20mm and 2 at 22mm and I've been looking at a 24mm wondering if it will be too big. I feel a big difference between 20mm Berkeley and 22mm Colonel, but I don't know how much is due to the shorter loft and handle as opposed to the knot size. Here's a size comparison:

Another factor in your size difference is the Pronounced bulb shape of the Berkeley vs, the flatter almost fan shape of the other two brushes. A flat knot keeps more bristles on your face at any one time. The shorter support hairs of a bulb shaped knot keep only the hairs in tangent to your face in contact.

Another factor in your size difference is the Pronounced bulb shape of the Berkeley vs, the flatter almost fan shape of the other two brushes. A flat knot keeps more bristles on your face at any one time. The shorter support hairs of a bulb shaped knot keep only the hairs in tangent to your face in contact.

And even though the Rooney and Colonel have the same knot size, they are totally different brushes. The Colonel has far more backbone and the Rooney is a little moppy.

Also of note is that if you went from a 24mm brush with X loft, to a 22mm brush with X loft the 22 would be slightly more floppy. This is why when most brushes step down in knot size, they also step down in loft size by a couple mm. Normally the 22mm brush would have loft in the ball park of X - (2 or 3mm).

OK... so this is what it is: currently a 24mm knot with 54mm loft and was wondering if the 22mm knot with 52mm loft would be significant or just go to the 20mm knot with 50mm loft.

hmmmmm... time to ponder

Last edited:
Top Bottom