What's new

Olive oil

I prefer a crisp ,hrebaecious olive oil with the maximum amount of "back of the throat" burn...extreme "pepper" finish some call it...I have been purchasing LAUDEMIO oil from italy...it has a nice strong ,fresh green olive taste,and a moderate afterburn...anyone know of something with a more severe intensity ?

No. I do not know of a better olive oil. In fact, I usually assume that all olive oil is suspect. I expect the cheap stuff to be half olive oil and half canola oil. The expensive olive oil is just average olive oil they scrape from the steam extraction ducts. I am sceptical that way.

What I have been able to find out is that in order to get that "peppery" burn that you want, it is generally associated with fresh olive oil. Living in a Mediterranean country, olive oil is a staple here. There are many brands to choose from, including European imports. I have only gotten the "peppery" flavor when on two occasions we were able to buy fresh pressed oil at the annual harvest of the Druze community in Northern Israel. Our Druze acquaintance from the village told me that the spicier olive oil comes from the first harvest, and the first pressing of the olives. This harvest takes place 3 to 4 days after the first rain of the season. I don't know how much luck you will have finding this in a bottled product on the shelf. If there is an ethnic grocer around your neighborhood that deals in Mediterranean foods and such (Italian, Greek, etc.), they may be able to point you in the right direction.

We bought a gallon of OO from Sam's Club.
I think it was mined from underground somewhere.
it has a warning on it that says "No olives were harmed in the making of this product" :tongue_sm

We wouldn't know good OO if it fell on us.
I love olives, but SWMBO doesn't. Olive oil isn't used much in our house.

I prefer a crisp ,hrebaecious olive oil with the maximum amount of "back of the throat" burn...extreme "pepper" finish some call it...I have been purchasing LAUDEMIO oil from italy...it has a nice strong ,fresh green olive taste,and a moderate afterburn...anyone know of something with a more severe intensity ?

Ah, a topic very close to my heart:001_smile

That 'back of the throat burn' is what tells you it's a "healthy oil" that is high in polyphenols:thumbup:

The key, IMO, is to get a fresh oil. You want to consume the oil as close to the harvest as possible and you want to make sure you buy an oil that has been stored properly and careful. Also, the oil must be pressed a hew hours after harvesting, before the olives begin to lose their goodness. It blows me away when I see producers that sell oil in clear glass bottles. It tells me right away that they have no understanding of the product they are selling.

Good oil is a truly amazing product of nature and a luxury I personally indulge in.

I guess I've been using the cheap stuff as I've never experienced this from an OO. :lol:

Sounds good though.

That 'back of the throat burn' is what tells you it's a "healthy oil" that is high in polyphenols:thumbup:

The key, IMO, is to get a fresh oil. You want to consume the oil as close to the harvest as possible and you want to make sure you buy an oil that has been stored properly and careful. Also, the oil must be pressed a hew hours after harvesting, before the olives begin to lose their goodness. It blows me away when I see producers that sell oil in clear glass bottles. It tells me right away that they have no understanding of the product they are selling.

Good oil is a truly amazing product of nature and a luxury I personally indulge in.

What do you recommend?

What olive oil is in your kitchen cabinet right now?:biggrin1:

I guess I've been using the cheap stuff as I've never experienced this from an OO. :lol:

Sounds good though.

the olive oil with the "burn" is sometimes referred to as "nuovo" or "novello" in italy..the spanish refer to it as "intenso",but many have the great peppery finish that only have the estate or company's name...the majority of italians like the "buttery" smooth oil,especially in the north...the extreme "bite" in an olive oil is the hardest oil to find...I pay $35 usd for the laudemio,it really is superb,with a wonderful clear jade green hue...great for dipping sour dough or sweet dough breads

Last edited:
Would you cook with it as well? Or are the more expensive ones best saved for this?

NO...don't waste this delicious oil in a pot of sauce or anything else ! this is for drizzling or dipping....in my pasta sauce I will use a nice mid grade oil,but for baking I use bertoli "light" olive oil ,it is almost flavorless,perfect in cakes,cookies etc...by the way,many experts agree that olive oil shuld not be used for frying...it is a delicate oil,and the medicinal qualities are destroyed by heat....a smarter way to fry is with grape seed oil,a very healthy oil,even better is rice BRAN oil...this oil fries superbly,but does NOT produce trans fat ! it also has been scientifically proven to reduce cholesterol within the human body...one oil to avoid is pomace olive oil...this oil is made from the leftover crap after the good oil is squeezed out..they use a solvent to extract whats left in the sludge...I like this oil for making cold process soap, and I lubricate my oster classic 76 clipper blades with it....other than that,internal use is not recommended !!

NO...don't waste this delicious oil in a pot of sauce or anything else ! this is for drizzling or dipping....in my pasta sauce I will use a nice mid grade oil,but for baking I use bertoli "light" olive oil ,it is almost flavorless,perfect in cakes,cookies etc...by the way,many experts agree that olive oil shuld not be used for frying...it is a delicate oil,and the medicinal qualities are destroyed by heat....a smarter way to fry is with grape seed oil,a very healthy oil,even better is rice BRAN oil...this oil fries superbly,but does NOT produce trans fat ! it also has been scientifically proven to reduce cholesterol within the human body...one oil to avoid is pomace olive oil...this oil is made from the leftover crap after the good oil is squeezed out..they use a solvent to extract whats left in the sludge...I like this oil for making cold process soap, and I lubricate my oster classic 76 clipper blades with it....other than that,internal use is not recommended !!

Thank you!

Sounds good though.

Haha, same here. When I'm in allout workout and diet mode, i'll drink a shot of OO a day. Doubt I'd do that with the stuff these guys are discussing here.

I have tried several California oils trying to get the taste of some of the oils I tried at a boutique in Florence. There are several good ones and one that had the spiciness you talked about was this one: http://www.apollooliveoil.com/recipes-b.php

There are several other really good ones, just google and look for first press California Olive Oil also.

Michael

PASOLIVO EXTRA VIRGIN - 500 ml Estate Tuscan Blend

That is serious business!!! Sounds just like what you are looking for! :thumbup:

They have a shop here in The Marina so you can come check it out and taste first hand! :001_smile

Here is a local brand that might meet your requirement. I don't know how "north" you are in Norcal, but this ranch is a couple of miles away from me in a valley that is ramping up to be a serious competitor to the Italian and Spanish growers.
http://capayvalleyfarmshop.csaware.com/extra-virgin-olive-oil-C6
I have to admit though that I really like Colavita, but this is a different profile than that.
Brent.

PASOLIVO EXTRA VIRGIN - 500 ml Estate Tuscan Blend

That is serious business!!! Sounds just like what you are looking for! :thumbup:

They have a shop here in The Marina so you can come check it out and taste first hand! :001_smile

nice price on this,and the can does protect...I will get by there one day...the olive oil seller at the ferry building farmers market has a nice tuscan a few months out of the year, from tuscan olives grown here in california...I love that sting of a good tuscan style oil.

Top Bottom