What's new

Coticule layer characteristics?

Howdy all,

I know how much we all love our coticules but I have a question for you more knowledgeable users.

What would you consider the defining characteristics of each layer? I know some are definable by certain dots or what not. Is there a list somewhere that has all of this listed out?

If possible even the finishing characteristics? Would a certain layer be more smooth or a faster cutter with water or slurry?

I would just love to get to know more about these stones but I can't really find this info anywhere.

If anyone can do it I know we can here!

There are going to be variations within each layer so it is impossible to really define characteristics specific for each layer. There are trends though and from my experience and what I've read this is what I know in general of these layers.

La Veinette - own 2 of these. Both extremely fast on slurry (one is just ridiculous) and both are in general slow on water. This leads to a mellow edge IME.

Les Latneuses yellow - fast on both slurry and water. A little more brisk edge from water only.

Les Latneuses Hybrid - Moderate speed on slurry and slow on water. Leaves one of the most smooth and mellow edges I've come across.

La Petite Blanch - Fast on slurry and mine is moderate on water. Leaves an "engaging edge" between mellow and brisk.

La Grosse Jaune - Mine is moderate to fast on slurry and slow to moderate on water. Leaves a very mellow edge.

La Grosse Blanch - very similar to the LGJ

La Grise - Slow on slurry and water. Some are moderate speed on slurry, but I've never seen one discussed as being fast on slurry. Smooth edges.

Not really experienced with La Dressante, La Dressante Au Bleu, La Verte, La Nouvelle Veine or the others I'm forgetting.

Keep in mind that these are characteristics of MY stones only. Each layer and coticule will have it's own characteristics and the fun in all this is figuring out where your stone fits.

In general if you want a fast stone on slurry a La Petite Blanch or La Veinette is your best bet. If you want a finisher only I would probably think a La Grise and certain La Veinettes would fit the bill as well. Granted, I have not come across a coticule that isn't a good finisher once you figure the stone out.

Also, I'm defining the edges as mellow, engaging, and brisk as Bart does in the coticule vault. To be totally honest if you gave me 3 of the same razors each honed on a different coticule that I own in a blindfold test I highly doubt I could tell you which was honed on which layer.

La grosse jaune i own that layer , i must say i had wicked smooth edges of that layer .

I will agree to that. Currently my favorite edge is from a La Veinette, but my LGJ is right there as well. The hybrid side of the Les Latneuses leaves a wicked smooth edge too.

Thanks for the info guys. How can you yell them apart by just looking at them?

I used to think it was a lpb that had all the blue dots on it but now I think it's because of a purple line of the bbw near the combo point.

I think the layer that has all the blue dots on it is a les lat? I'm sure I'm very wrong tho lol.

Top Bottom