What's new

Face Break-in Period?

So I have only completed my 3rd shave. This is going to sound like a dumb question but is there a break-in period for your face while it gets used to the wet shave? I am prepping my face before the shave and taking my time with the shave itself, but I have been getting some wicked razor burn.

I know that much of this is probably due to my lack of technique and experience but just wondered if it takes some time for your face to toughen up and get used to wet shaving. Will it get better in time?

I can't say that your face will "toughen up" either way. I do know that you really shouldn't push your skin past irritation. Give your face a rest if you feel the irritation getting worse.

I'd focus on getting the right blade angle and NO pressure on the blade whatsoever. Good technique can cure the worst of shaves. Give yourself time to master your shave. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

I can't say that your face will "toughen up" either way. I do know that you really shouldn't push your skin past irritation. Give your face a rest if you feel the irritation getting worse.

I'd focus on getting the right blade angle and NO pressure on the blade whatsoever. Good technique can cure the worst of shaves. Give yourself time to master your shave. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

+1
The first couple of weeks, I had redness and tenderness at the corners of my mouth, both it has faded now. I know my technique has improved, and maybe my skin did adapt somewhat, but technique is key.

Like everything else, I think it depends on the person and the face. When I first started with a DE my face was perpetually inflamed and raw from many years of disposables. Add to that some skin sensitivities and acne - my face was a total wreck.

It took about a year for most of the sensitivity to go away. Only place left that I absolutely cannot shave without irritation is my chin, so about 6 months ago I decided to cut my losses and grow a goatee.

My acne is under control, I can shave every day without irritation (something I absolutely could never do before, in over 20 years of shaving), my skin sensitivity is way down, and I can now use alcohol aftershaves without ill effect. It just took about a year to get there.

I think most people starting out are probably just suffering from technique issues, but I think there may be some guys out there with super-tender faces from years of abuse. Determination and patience will probably take care of both technique and most tenderness problems.

Everything from prep to razor to blade...... all makes a difference. A few more shaves and you will start to see an improvment. It might be two steps forward one step back for a little while, but your well on your way. Lots of helpfull people here, and they are always ready to give advice. Just enjoy your shaves and it will all come together.

Maybe. Most of the razor burn, lets say 90% or more, is prep and technic. As your prep improves, the razor will glide over your skin and cut only your whiskers instead of also shaving your skin too much. As your technic improves, there will be less pressure and a better angle for cutting whiskers.

Keep working on both and you will gradually improve.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It's mostly related to your technique. Make sure you have the right blade angle and do not apply any pressure at any time. If you didn't face map the grain of your beard, I would suggest doing so. If you are going ATG for now, I would remove that also until you master WTG and XTG.

I am far from the expert but I've found three things. First, even if you sometimes touched up with a catridge without reapplying a lather, DON'T do it with a DE. One stroke only and when the lathers gone don't shave it. If you have to touch it up grab the brush and put some more lather on. Second, if the blade begins to pull or skip just stop. You're going to rip yourself up. This happens to me when I go ATG and have not cut it down far enough. Third, proper technique. Play with the angle of the blade and see if you can hear and feel when it's doing it's job. I've been learning by experimenting as this is the sort of thing that will eventually become muscle memory and I have a gut feeling you have to learn the feel. Also place no pressure on the razor let it do the work.

PS. I completely ripped myself up at first but now the most I get is a small nick or two. I'm aiming for a day when I can get a shave with no cuts ever (something at 29 I still can't do that with a catridge).

Focus on trying to get a good lather and a comfortable shave.

Do not try to get a BBS.

Give your face a break after a bad shave! (I know it is hard, you want to keep shaving, instead just practice making lather a couple of times a day and leave the razor alone)

Top Bottom