What's new

Shick Krona, 1st Impressions...WOW

so i picked up an old Schick Krona recently on the BST from "meglad" for $12.50 (shipping to CAD included) and it came yesterday. i cleaned it up, sterilized it and put an Astra in it.

face lathered some RazoRock and went to town.

WOWSERS! it was one of my best shaves ever. no bleeding, no knicks, cuts or weepers, no redness. i got 4 passes and a near BBS from it.

no, it's not as close a shave as my 89 with a feather, but i also didn't get any redness or irritation. and it's still better then any rotary or cartridge shave as far as closeness.

i'll be using it again shortly and more often. :biggrin1:

it's not the prettiest razor out there, not the most talked about compared with Gillette, Gillette, Gillette, but for $10-15 like they regularly are, if you are new, you should probably try one out. heck there were 4 of them on the BST yesterday, including shipping and none had sold yet.

looking back, i sure wish i had started with a Krona instead of a Merkur 38C, at least until i got my lather and techinique down.

:thumbup1:

Last edited:
I'll add my kudos in any Krona thread that pops up. It's the one DE that stays in or near my ongoing rotation. Low profile and mild and perfect when I need a quick shave that's easy on my face.

Another Krona fan. They are nice razors. Gillette made one with a similar design called the Knack. (I think they were called Slim Twists in Europe.)

Both are nice razors with a nice weight to the head - really good for learning to "let the razor do the work".

I've got a Krona, Knack, and Slim-Twist and they are all really good shavers with whatever blade I put into them.

If I've had a particularly adventurous shave with an aggressive razor the night before, and my face could use a little break, I often reach for one of the Kronas.

The Krona is a great razor, to me - better than a superspeed since it has a lower profile head. It gets into places like under the nose like a gillette tech would. I'm glad I got one a while back! Sure, it has a plastic handle but it's a nice one :)

The Krona is a great razor, to me - better than a superspeed since it has a lower profile head. It gets into places like under the nose like a gillette tech would. I'm glad I got one a while back! Sure, it has a plastic handle but it's a nice one :)

Agreed.
The head profile is one of the best if not the best design, IMO. If you want a great shave, just stick A feather blade in that Krona . I know of no better razor for someone new to DE shaving. I bet they will keep it in their rotation or near by it as they progress to other razors. Besides you can always send that Krona and have that plastic handle rhodium plated for 65.00. bwahaha :lol:

Agreed.
The head profile is one of the best if not the best design, IMO. If you want a great shave, just stick A feather blade in that Krona . I know of no better razor for someone new to DE shaving. I bet they will keep it in their rotation or near by it as they progress to other razors. Besides you can always send that Krona and have that plastic handle rhodium plated for 65.00. bwahaha :lol:

This is the razor I started my shaving with. I have always liked it.

The Krona was not a razor that liked me. It barely cut stubble. In fact, I could hear the whiskers mocking the razor as I shaved.

YMMV

Top Bottom