What's new

Question on combo coticules

So what is the main advantage of a combo coticule vs a standard one? Is the darker side more used for setting a bevel? Basically I think I am going to get a coticule for my first hone (and maybe something in the 1k range for bevels) but trying to decide what the combo part is used for and if I would not need a 1k stone if I get a combo coticule.

The only reason to get a combo is if you want to use the BBW for honing as well.

One of the early methods for using a combo was to use the coticule first with heavy slurry, then move to the BBW with slurry and finally back to the coticule side on water only.

New methods (dilucot and unitcot) you can just use the coticule side to get a great edge and that is all you need.

Personally I own several combos, but rarely ever use the BBW side. If you are just starting I would get a coticule on slate to save some money and spend a lot of time learning how to get a great edge from it only.

There is a bit of a resurgence in interest in using the BBW side to hone, but I never use mine. I guess it just depends on whether you want to use it or not... but you can definitely go without it.

There's no need for a bevel setter with a Coticule, really. I see this all the time and I'm quite confused by it. It only takes me a minute or two to set the bevel on full hollow razors with slurry, and at most about 5 minutes with a wedge. Unless you plan on full restoring razors (honing out chips, etc.) I don't think there's a need for a separate bevel setter.

Thanks for the info.

One last question.. for the slurry stone.. I see they have some 'special' slurry stones that look like they can also be used as small travel hones. Should I just not worry with this and get the smaller more square slurry stone? (looking at thesuperiorshave.com and comparing a $16 slurry stone vs a $22-$24 'special' slurry stone that is more rectangular)

#'s 26, 27, and 28 are probably your best bets on a tiny travel hone for touch-ups. I've fully dilucoted razors on slurry stones like this, but it does require that you really know a fully sized stone before tackling or at least in my case it did. Just don't expect to be using it right away, and it would be a good idea to get one of those as a slurry stone.

Any reason for suggesting the more triangular ones vs a more rectangular? I was looking at #8 so was curious why 26-28 would be a better/different stone to use a a slurry stone initially with the ability to use as a travel hone.

Yes, the rectangular ones that are left are very short. I imagine it would be very hard to maintain slurry on a stone that is less than 100mm long. If using for just touch ups, then under 100mm forces a very sharp diagonal x-stroke, and I would imagine annoying to hone on.

To use as a slurry stone, the shape doesn't matter.

To use just for finishing or touchups, the shape doesn't really matter.

To use for full honing, you want a closer to rectangle shape with at least one longer side. Triangle shapes and diamond shapes are harder to use because you have to be really careful to not push the slurry off of the sloped sides of the hone. That being said, it can be done.

Shorter more square shaped hones work well with using circles instead of halfstrokes.

Well I was planning on getting a regular sized/shape stone. I was just interested in maybe getting a dual function slurry stone that could be used for slight finishings as well.

Well I was planning on getting a regular sized/shape stone. I was just interested in maybe getting a dual function slurry stone that could be used for slight finishings as well.

If you find a nice long narrow one I say give this a try. Its not nearly as easy to learn on a little slurry bout, but with the basics its actually fun. I have one and use it from time to time just for kicks. Geeky I know, but its fun in its own fist cramping kind of way.

To use as a slurry stone, the shape doesn't matter.

To use just for finishing or touchups, the shape doesn't really matter.

To use for full honing, you want a closer to rectangle shape with at least one longer side. Triangle shapes and diamond shapes are harder to use because you have to be really careful to not push the slurry off of the sloped sides of the hone. That being said, it can be done.

Shorter more square shaped hones work well with using circles instead of halfstrokes.

+1- This is good advice. I have used a bunch of different small bouts for touch ups and they all seem to do just fine. I have also used about a 2" x 3" stone to go from dull to ready, but it does take some time. Longer stones are indeed better for this.

Also, I rarely use the BBW side of the combos I have. Save the money and go with a slate backing is also pretty good advice from the posts above.

This is the stone I picked and it will be my first coti....should arrive soon and am looking forward to the hand cramps and all..:biggrin1:

The special slurry stones are a great value....as stated many will be used as a touch up/travel hones...well worth the extra money over the standard slurry stones.

Last edited:
Yeah.. I ended up going with #8 on the special slurry stones to complement my #3 standard coticule. Can't wait for both to arrive =)

Personally I own several combos, but rarely ever use the BBW side. If you are just starting I would get a coticule on slate to save some money and spend a lot of time learning how to get a great edge from it only.

Would that be enough for Str8s from *- Bay, I thought of purchasing a DMT Dia- Sharp Fine(600) and Extra Fine(1200) with a Coticule or Chinese 12k with Slurry Stone.

Bought 2 REAL CHEAP Str8s 6.99 & 13.00, if I ruin the blade while learning it wouldn't matter too much.

DMT Dia- Sharp Fine(600) and Extra Fine(1200) with a Coticule or Chinese 12k with Slurry Stone.

That would do it. If you get a razor in really bad shape a 325 might make the job a bit quicker, but will fix about anything you would want to shave with.

That would do it. If you get a razor in really bad shape a 325 might make the job a bit quicker, but will fix about anything you would want to shave with.

Thanks for the Advice, I picked up this; 3-inch Dia-Sharp® Sharpener, Credit Card Sized- Extra-Fine, Fine and Coarse Diamond by DM, They measure 3 X 2.5"; and From Group 3 a Slurry stone, from here: http://www.thesuperiorshave.com/Coticules.html

#29 ~221-23x72x13mm img9898 (shown ABOVE) $25.00
I figured the 2 cheap str8s and the stone will be what I learn with, I also purchased a 2 sided Paddle strop and the DMT's will be for knives, with the coarse doubling as a lapping/ Slurry stone. HOPE I DID Alright :blush:

Thanks for the Advice, I picked up this; 3-inch Dia-Sharp® Sharpener, Credit Card Sized- Extra-Fine, Fine and Coarse Diamond by DM, They measure 3 X 2.5"; and From Group 3 a Slurry stone, from here: http://www.thesuperiorshave.com/Coticules.html

#29 ~221-23x72x13mm img9898 (shown ABOVE) $25.00
I figured the 2 cheap str8s and the stone will be what I learn with, I also purchased a 2 sided Paddle strop and the DMT's will be for knives, with the coarse doubling as a lapping/ Slurry stone. HOPE I DID Alright :blush:

I have taken those credit card size DMT plates and using double sided tape attached them to a small piece of wood to make a table hone. It is an integral part of my travel honing setup.

I have the DMT600/1200 combo and cotis and it works great. The DMT for chips/bevel work, the coti for the rest.

Top Bottom