What's new

Buying a dovo: best quality vs tortoise special

Seems these are two great cost effective razors for a newbie after shaving shavette/DE for 9 months..
anyone have experience on which is the best get?

I have heard many call the best quality the one they like the best out of their many dovo's, and others say the tortoise sharpens really well, so I'm stuck.. I do personally think the tortoise shell looks kind of weird in photos, but then the plastic on the best quality can't much better I guess.

I have a best quality and I can vouch that it is a fantastic razor. However that being said, whichever one you choose you need to get it honed properly, the factory edge is not good enough.

I plan on getting it from classicshaving or srd, which has them honed by lynn..

Do you feel that the plastic is ok for the weight balance? Here is where I'm stuck between the 5/8 and 6/8 especially with the weight.

Last edited:
You really can;t go wrong with either one. I have a 5/8 BQ from SRD and it is a great razor. Smooth shaver, takes a killer edge, and you can't beat the price.

called srd and they said the special was a much nicer straight.. but ive only heard that the difference is really just in the plastic vs tortoise on the forums?

It seems that the general consensus is that the only real differences between the two are the scales and the Special has gold wash and a nice finish. The BQ also has a nice finish, but it is fairly plain. I definitely want a Special in the future, but I went with a BQ from the get-go because I didn't want to screw a nice razor up with newbieisms. Again, either way you can't go wrong!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If anyone is interested, there is a killer deal available at the superior shave. Look in the vintage blades section for brand new razors that were used one time, and are offered at a very nice price.

Theromanone,

I have the Best & the Special ('Tortoise'), and they are both superb shavers.

The faux tortoise-shell scales of the Special are really very nice when seen in the 'flesh' !

The Best is a more keenly priced razor, and you really can't go wrong with it; it is also a very easy razor to maintain - the hardness of the steel is just right, with the edge lastng for a sensible period, and then being very easy to touch up. It responds superbly to CrOx pasted strops. The Best was my first new staright after I re-started shaving with a straight, and it is so good, thet it is still in my rotation some years later.

The Special has more upmarket scales, and goldwashing on the blade, so is less plain than the Best. It too is an excellent shaver, and also very easy to maintain.

IMHO if you choose either of them (or both :smile:), you will have made an excellent choice !

Good luck !

Have fin !

Best regards

Russ

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm going to hold off on making purchases for a while until I can take care of some things.. more time to perfect my preshave routine!

However, looks to be I'll be getting the BQ with the advice here. Thanks!

If anyone is interested, there is a killer deal available at the superior shave. Look in the vintage blades section for brand new razors that were used one time, and are offered at a very nice price.

:thumbup: I am thinking about grabbing one of those Dovo tortoise Specials and I already have a Dovo Best Quality. That really is a great deal, and the Superior Shave is always a pleasure to deal with. If he still has them in a few weeks when I can buy more stuff!

Top Bottom