What's new

Finally got around to trying the "Lord Premium Safety Razor"

I was very impressed with what I got for 10 dollars, loaded it with a fresh derby and got an extremely comfortable 3 pass shave which bordered on BBS territory.

You definitely seem to get much more than what you pay for with this razor, and the best thing is it's so cheap I can afford to buy them and attempt to convert friends while not have to sacrifice quality!

Only possible downside is that it's rather light (as it is made of aluminium) but not so much that it's problematic.

Has anyone else been as impressed as I have been by this razor?

(you can buy these from ntguy who I believe is also a b&b member here)

I too love this razor. I was heavily touting it's merit's about a year ago, but stopped due to it being generally unavailable at that point.

This razor is every bit as good as a Merkur razor, but at 1/3 the cost. :thumbup1:

Now that it is available (but only from Ntguy, and a few Ebayers) I would without reservation recommend it as a 1st razor for any newbie; it's likely the only razor they will ever need.

P.S. For those not familiar with this razor, the head on it is a copy of a the Merkur style head. This is a newer offering from Lord, and vastly different from their older offerings that feature a Gillette Tech style head.

Is there a difference in this razor and the Lord Smart? Other than the handle of course. Just wondered if the heads are the same.

I like it as well, only downside is it's a little light. But for $10(Sam includes a pack of Bluebirds at that price) it is a great extra razor to throw into a travel kit. I would not hesitate, this could be a daily shaver as well if you were so inclined. I agree that this a perfect razor for a noob to give a DE a try for very little investment.

I have one but have not tried it yet as I enjoy vintage equipment only. Impressive to have your own personalised razor and blade though. I must be the only member in this position..unless there is a Mr Gillette, Schick, Gem or EverReady in the ranks :001_smile

I've had my first shave with this Lord Smart/S625 and am mighty IMPRESSED. It shaves as well as any in my stable...AND I have a herd of razors...I still enjoy shaving with my 100 year old SE or whatever...The Rolls Razor...but that just coolness. The shave is wonderful from this inexpensive razor. Someone said they're on AMAZON for ~ $6.
Tom

I started with the long-handled version, and it was great. My foster-son is now shaving his peachfuzz with it.

I was very impressed with what I got for 10 dollars, loaded it with a fresh derby and got an extremely comfortable 3 pass shave which bordered on BBS territory.

You definitely seem to get much more than what you pay for with this razor, and the best thing is it's so cheap I can afford to buy them and attempt to convert friends while not have to sacrifice quality!

Only possible downside is that it's rather light (as it is made of aluminium) but not so much that it's problematic.

Has anyone else been as impressed as I have been by this razor?

(you can buy these from ntguy who I believe is also a b&b member here)

I too am impressed with the quality of the Lord DE razors. Comfortable shaving, cheap, and effective. You can't go wrong with these in my opinion.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but the link below is my thoughts on the Lord "Smart" razor. Just trying to get the word out about these surprisingly good razors.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...d-S625-quot-Smart-quot-razor?referrerid=36272

Love the Lord L6. Mine never left the rotation from the day I got it. I plan on picking up another. Compared to my Muhle R89, the shaves are just as good. I pair mine with a Merkur 15C handle.

I agree 100% on this one, It happened to be my first razor too, also purchased from ntguy on an ebay auction, It also came with a fairly decent blade sampler which I am glad to say included one of my favourite blades.

As for light, yes it is indeed so made of Aluminium which is good as it cuts down on the ferrous metals thus decreasing potential corrosion issues(this can happen sometimes if the chrome finishing get marred or scratched)

I am indeed suitably impressed by this razor and would also recommend it to friends.
All in all a great razor who quality for price is unparalleled.

Great product, amazing value.

I use a Lord L6 (LP1822L) most days. I made a custom handle for it that is thicker and heavier than the light aluminum handle it comes with. I get consistently excellent shaves with Personna Blues, Astras, or Crystals.

I just bought two more and need to make a couple new handles. One will go in my travel kit and the other will be a spare.

I have recently started using DE. I bought this razor and have been happy with it. I am currently in week 2 of the learning process. My dilemma is that I purchased a second razor. I bought a Edwin Jagger Chrome Double Edge Safety Razor (De89lbl) for $23. My instinct is to not try the new razor until I have mastered the basics. Any advice for this recent convert.

Thanks!

It's all I use, no need for anything else

Just then thought I would order a spare. My usual uk vendor doesn't have them anymore ( not sure if that's permanent ) but is offering the L5 and the Smart for the same price as the L6 - so you get the Merkur and tech style heads with the aluminium and a plastic handle. That's not too bad is it :)

Last edited:
I have recently started using DE. I bought this razor and have been happy with it. I am currently in week 2 of the learning process. My dilemma is that I purchased a second razor. I bought a Edwin Jagger Chrome Double Edge Safety Razor (De89lbl) for $23. My instinct is to not try the new razor until I have mastered the basics. Any advice for this recent convert.
Thanks!

Your instinct would be correct, depending how comfortable and trouble-free; rare or no nicks,weepers or Razor Burn, I'd give the current Razor another week or two. Remember, when switching to the E-J, the Razor may not be at the same angle for the blade to be at the correct angle, and the added weight will give your shave a different feel, easy adjustments when you're ready to switch.

It's all I use, no need for anything else

Just then thought I would order a spare. My usual uk vendor doesn't have them anymore ( not sure if that's permanent ) but is offering the L5 and the Smart for the same price as the L6 - so you get the Merkur and tech style heads with the aluminium and a plastic handle. That's not too bad is it :)

The Lord L6 is the only Current production Razor in my rotation & possession, I think the Lord Razor Line-up is a very good product for the price. BTW, I use the Lord Razors totally Stock, I don't mind the light weight.

I had ordered the L5 in 2010 on a whim, and to get free shipping on some other items I was buying for Christmas. After receiving the Razor and using it for two months, getting enjoyable & comfortable shaves, I decided to Purchase the L6 in early 2011. The L6 was even more enjoyable and after three months of sitting on my shelf, the E-J 89L had to be sent to a loving home, I've PIFed the L5 and the L6 sees regular action in my rotation of Vintage only DE's, SE's & Injectors.

Your instinct would be correct, depending how comfortable and trouble-free; rare or no nicks,weepers or Razor Burn, I'd give the current Razor another week or two. Remember, when switching to the E-J, the Razor may not be at the same angle for the blade to be at the correct angle, and the added weight will give your shave a different feel, easy adjustments when you're ready to switch.

The Lord L6 is the only Current production Razor in my rotation & possession, I think the Lord Razor Line-up is a very good product for the price. BTW, I use the Lord Razors totally Stock, I don't mind the light weight.
Thanks for the advice. My plan is to continue with the L6 for a couple of weeks and then compare the 2 razors using the Derby and shark blades. At that point, I will choose which razor to test using a sample pack that I will order.

The Lord L6 is a sweet razor, one of my fav - but it seems that there is anewer version then the L6... The Lord FRESH Premium Safety Razor Model L125 ( L6 was model LP1822L) - it says on amazon that it an Improved design over the old L6 model. Can anyone tell how it is improved...???

Top Bottom