What's new

Hands in the way

Ok, two shaves in with my straight....very cool stuff. Anyway, my question is about how to see up near the ear. I can't figure out how to get my hands in the right place to hold the razor right and still be able to see myself in the mirror. I'm right-handed, so my left hand is wrapped around to pull up at the temple, and my right hand blocks the view for the "sideburn cut" if you know what I mean. Any suggestions?

I have a similar problem, but tend to go by 'feel' at this point. You might try shaving the off side of the face with your off hand. Just a thought....

I turn my body 45 degrees to the mirror to be able to see better.

Also, I do the final shaping of my sideburns with just the tip of the razor, with the blade going from a cheek towards the ear motion(blade vertical).

Legion

Staff member
You should hold the razor in the hand that is on the side you are shaving. The free hand goes over the top of your head and pulls up the skin
at the temple.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Legion's pic is a good illustration.

I wouldn't worry to much about seeing what you are doing, just stay focused & you feel exactly where you are.

I'm blind on my left eye, so I really have no visual at all on my left side, but it's no problem. It's the hand/face/edge connection that tells where you are, your eyes only fool you.

Head-shavers learns this very fast :yesnod:

i take a quick looks out of 2 or 3 periphery views at where the razor is compared to my sideburn and change my view and blade position as needed..

Your's is a common complaint from new straight razor users. I know you think it is important to see everything clearly, after all you have a razor in hand. But a clear view is not as important as you may think, time and experience will enable you to shave more by feel than sight.

Use the Force, Luke!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LTsvOHq3xc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/YOUTUBE]

Your's is a common complaint from new straight razor users. I know you think it is important to see everything clearly, after all you have a razor in hand. But a clear view is not as important as you may think, time and experience will enable you to shave more by feel than sight.

Yes it will. This is what I found happens, but it takes some time until you're comfortable with it. :w00t:

Top Bottom