What's new

Shaving one's head?

As I'm very new to this resurgence in traditional shaving methods, I have a question that may have already been addressed but that I've not been able to find an answer for.

I've shaved my head for years with the standard disposable blade shaving system but now that I've been exposed, I'm very interested in switching over to a DE or straight blade, although I'm hesitant about the latter. Has anyone ever shaved their head with a DE/straight blade without scalping themselves? Any suggestions for getting started?

Thanks for your advice and assistance as I start.

Yes! There are several of us who do. I used to Mach 3 the head and DE the face, but now I DE both. There are some good threads on head shaving, but my general approach is the same as shaving the face. Some quick thoughts:

• Make sure you have good prep (mine is Kyle's Prep) and a nice, cushiony lather.
  • For your first attempt, try just going WTG on a couple days' growth. I prefer to shave at the sink so I can see what I'm doing, but the back of your head will probably need to be done by feel.

• Pick a forgiving razor+blade combo initially, then experiment with more aggressive setups.

What is your level of expertise? To anyone contemplating this, I'd suggest learning proper technique on the face -- especially blade angle and no pressure -- before moving on to the head. :w00t:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Here are a couple of head shaving threads Christopher (The Count of Merkur Cristo) was kind enough to point me to when I joined. There are many more, ofc.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=189150
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=149397
Francesco:
Thanx your reply, support and sharing. :yesnod:

Christopher
proxy.php
"Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

Thanks for the insight and the links. I'll check them out and keep you posted on how it goes when I start up.

As far as my level of expertise, I've never used a DE before, so I don't know what to expect. And I only found out about traditional shaving when I stumbling upon www.artofmanliness.com. At the time, I was looking up the 13 virtues that Benjamin Franklin incorporated into his daily life, and once on the site, started looking around and found the page on shaving which sparked my interest.

In that case, I'd say learn on your face first. If you haven't run across it already, this page is a good compendium of stickied threads on "the basics" of traditional wetshaving.

Top Bottom