What's new

My First Attempt / Blade Change

So after reading many posts and asking some questions and receiving some great advice on here I went out and purchased an EJ89L. I had my first shave tonight using a Derby blade that came with it. I was quite pleased that I had no cuts or nicks. The shave was not as close as I had hoped and I had some razor burn but I hope that will change in time as my shaving improves.

I know that different blades work for different people. My question is how long should I continue using a brand of blade before trying another to see if it is "my blade"? I am going to purchase some feathers because I have heard they work quite well in the EJ89L but I'm not sure that I am ready for them yet.

Personally, I would give it at least 3 shaves. You should get 3 good shaves out of just about any razor (by "good" i mean the blade shouldn't noticably dull, whether the actual blade is suited to your face/razor enough to give you a "good shave" is entirely different).
I'm on my 2nd Astra blade, with two shaves left in it. After this I am thinking of trying something new.

This may sound stupid, but make notes after you shave. That way after you try a few different blades you actually have something to go on.

If you do change the blade, don't change anything else. The more variables you introduce the more chances you can derail any chances of success.

If the Derby is working for you, I'd stick with it for a few weeks at least. There are so many moving parts when you're starting out ... it's good to keep some of them stationary.

I waited a whole three weeks before I bought my second razor. :laugh:

I second the idea of a blade sampler pack. Don't limit yourself to a Derby and Feather - they are two very different blades. Something in between may prove to be a better match.

3 shaves is good advice. Get a blade sampler. You will make a better decision.

+1.

As Derby is your first blade, it's now basically your baseline. Once you get a sampler, the next blade you try will be one of three things; better, worse or on-par with the Derby. And so on and so forth as you get through more and more of sampler. I went through 8 different brands before settling on a favorite that hit the sweet spot.

Thanks for all the advice. I will was just not sure how long I should stick with one brand of blade before trying another. I figured sticking with a brand for at least a week or two before changing. Didn't want to sell a blade short based on only a few shaves.

Bubba, IMO sice you're new to DE shaving I wouldn't change a thing except to change the blade when it's dull. You'll know, it'll start tugging and if it's dull enough it'll cause nicks.

Get your technique down. To do that change no variables and just concentrate on technique. You can evaluate blades in a bit. It won't take long to get the gist of technique.

Top Bottom