What's new

My first Open Comb shave...

I recently purchased a Merkur "1904" Classic #41 (a replica of the original Gillette?) - cheap enough, paid $28.00 & change for it (free ship)

Tried it for the first time an hour ago...WOW! :thumbup1:

For some reason, I thought the open comb would be aggressive...I mean, it looks dangerous... :laugh:

Anyway, pre shave - you know the drill; lather with Proraso, popped a 2 shave old 7 o'clock in it & went to work.

Immediately I felt a noticeable difference from the EJ89 I have been using. Much more forgiving & gentle - and that is saying a lot since the EJ89 is a forgiving razor as well.

I had to do 4 passes on a 1 day growth. It didn't remove as much beard with each pass, but when finished I realized I have just completed my first BBS! :thumbup:

Funny thing is, I wasn't even trying for that! But it happened. I was able to go ATG & XTG with no tugging or discomfort. Not once did I feel that I had to "back off" a bit lest I break the skin.

For now, this noob has just found his new favorite "go to" razor. I realize it may take a little more time to achieve a good shave (more passes)

- but come to think of it - isn't that what it's all about anyway? Enjoying the actual sport of it?

I wounder if I would have to complete 8 passes on a 2 day growth?!? :laugh:

Oh yeah - this little thing is a beaut too! I am actually getting used to the shorter handled razors at this point. Just wanted to share! I had fun!

:w00t:

Stock photo of my new toy! The etched design hexagon handle is neat. At some point I will post pics of all the gear I have accumulated so far.

proxy.php

Nice! I also have the EJ89L and although I have aquired quite a few vintage Gillettes lately that I have been using. I have been thinking about the 1904. Maybe I'll have to give this one a shot!

It's a beauty for sure, I am still rubbing my smooth face some four hours later! :laugh:

Can anyone tell me - "a replica of the original Gillette" - what that means?

Is there a "1904 Gillette" razor floating around that this is a replica of? Sorry for the noob question, but I am new to this.

I searched around some razor sites but could not find an early Gillette that looks like this. Everything I see from that era has a knurled round handle...

Oh, and while I'm at it - what does "single ring" mean?

Again, sorry - noob alert! :blushing:

Enjoy you new open comb. The combs tell you when your razor angle is not perfect when the combs touch your face.

The first Gillette DE razors were made and patented in the middle of the first decade of the 20th century (1904-1909). King Gillette's invention didn't really take off until several years after it hit the market.

check out the wiki here on B&B:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Single_Ring
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Double_Ring

I don't really find a whole lot of similarity between Merkur's 1904 and these Old Types besides the size... go figure.

Thanks for those links. I have been going through the B&B wiki...guess I haven't made it that far yet, as there is so much to absorb! :laugh:

The main similarity I see is the head/comb area, I guess...

The handle doesn't resemble it at all...someone at Merkur needs to be consulted on this... :blink:

Maybe they should rename it the Gillette 1904 franken-replica! :laugh:

I find the open comb mild also. I have the Muhle R41, but it gets little look in now as I prefer my 39C Slant and closed bar razors for a more aggressive shave.

Not so good a result today...

I popped a KAI in from my sample pack on 2 days growth & I don't know what happened, lol...

Scraped up my neck more then I ever have since I started this. :blushing:

Not so good a result today...

I popped a KAI in from my sample pack on 2 days growth & I don't know what happened, lol...

Scraped up my neck more then I ever have since I started this. :blushing:

Go with the grain on your neck for two passes. When you use the ATG pass, use a very loose grip on the end of the razor handle. Like holding a dime between your fingers, very gingerly................my technique, works for me.

I like the Merkur 1904 Open Comb. What a bargain at about $25, and very mild. The comb helps me maintain a proper blade angle which prevents ingrown hairs for me. I found that it worked great with a Personna Red Pack which is the only razor that I could get that blade to work well for me.

I am most fond of open-comb razors! I have a few, but my faves are the old German bakelite open-comb slants. I wish, wish, wish someone would make a metal one. That I would buy...

Be seeing you.

Top Bottom