What's new

Shave Secret

I wasn't sure which forum to put this thread in. I've heard some people say good things about shave secret, some people say great things, some people say it changed their shave forever while other people say its too oily and its not the greatest or it clogs the razor because its too oily. I want to know what you think about shave secret and is it worth getting if I have hard water and it's difficult to get a close shave because of it. My TOBS avocado breaks down no matter how many different ways I try to improve it (moisture ratio, more product, bowl lather, face lather... the works). Would shave secret improve my shave greatly if I use hard water so I don't have as many problems as i do with proraso pre shave, which doesn't seem to soften the beard enough and TOBS avocado, which is never right always too dry or when I'm done shaving my cheeks the lather just disappears on my throat.

I use SS for a pre-shave oil -- using 3 drops well-massaged into my face before lathering -- and it works well for me. At about $3.50/bottle at your local WalMart, why not just give it a try for yourself? Even if you find it's not for you, it's not too much coin spent...

Ive never tried shave secret but I have hard water.
I suggest using filtered water from the fridge door or buying some distilled water to use for shaving and making lather.
You don't need much to build the lather and it makes ALL the difference in the lather building.

I've tried it and it works fine! However, I find the smell of the clove essential oil in the product to be overpowering to the point of being offensive. Some folks like the smell -- I don't. To each his own opinion.

I've used the Pacific Shaving Company oil and like it better based on the scent. It has a light citrus odor.

As far as either product being better for shaving lubrication, I find them a toss up. If over applied, they can cause clogging of the razor, but the oil washes out easily enough. You may want to purchase a bottle of each and compare them.

I've tried it and it works fine! However, I find the smell of the clove essential oil in the product to be overpowering to the point of being offensive. Some folks like the smell -- I don't. To each his own opinion.

I've used the Pacific Shaving Company oil and like it better based on the scent. It has a light citrus odor.

As far as either product being better for shaving lubrication, I find them a toss up. If over applied, they can cause clogging of the razor, but the oil washes out easily enough. You may want to purchase a bottle of each and compare them.

+1 that the Pacific shave Company oil smells MUCH better. It's a very light scent, and slightly citrusy. The oil is not as thick as SS, either, which makes it less likely to clog and much better for use as a PRE-SHAVE. If I had to shave with just one oil or the other, I guess I'd take the SS (more protection), but to use as a preshave the Pacific Shave stuff is far superior.

I'll be trying the new BentonClay PSO soon; hoping it will be better still!

Ironically I tried Save Secret for the first time today. I just used it as directed. It was ok - not game changing. I will try it again tomorrow but as a pre-shave oil before putting on proraso.
One thing I have been trying lately is using coconut oil as a preshave oil. I have had some really great shaves - smells good and leaves your face really soft and smooth.

Anyone else use coconut oil as a preshave?

Top Bottom