What's new

Frank shaving Silvertip Badger?

I've got a Frank Shaving Finest Badger and I like it a lot (so much so that I gave two as gifts to my brothers). The Finest seems to be regarded as a better deal than the Silvertip, which is considered too floppy by some.

Not as nice as your 3/1, imho. I have several FS brushes. The finest remains a solid value although prices have risen. They have nice backbone and are quite soft on the face. However, the silvertip is floppy and you already have a nicer brush. Just my .02. Regards, Bradley

I've got a finest and custom loft (shorter, 48mm) Silvertip on the way.
Hopefully the shorter loft on the Silvertip reduces the 'floppiness' problem many have experienced.

I have the best and a mixed , like them both . Everyone would like to have a nice English brush but not everyone can afford the price . Two nice brushes for under 30 bucks . Maybe some day , as I have used the brushes for well over a year and they still look as good as new and have a nice loft and back bone .

any opinions?
I have one and I like it very much - much better than my AoS Pure Badger.

Is it as good as a $150 brush? I seriously doubt it.

Is a $150 brush 6 times better? I doubt it.

They are a great value. In fact, I'll probably order another one as a backup.

Last edited:
I'm using one now; five shaves in and it's still shedding. I'm giving it a few more shaves and if it doesn't stop I'll return it. It does, however, lather well and it's nice and soft. I like it except for the shedding.

I have one and love it. It is not as dense as the 3/1 but that's part of the Rooney problem for me. The Rooney is so dense that it doesn't release lather easily. The Frank Silver Tip is soft and releases lather quite nicely. I don't use my Rooney 3/1 much anymore, mostly rotate my Frank Shaving Silver Tip and 2 in Finest.

I've had one for about 6 months. I love it and have had no problems with it. I think it's a good value for the money.

Consensus is the Silver Tip is floppy and the Warwick in Best Badger is the better overall brush.
I opted for Finest in the Berwick handle that had the slimmest knot. Requested loft set lower and have been very happy with it's face lathering capabilities.

I'm using one now; five shaves in and it's still shedding. I'm giving it a few more shaves and if it doesn't stop I'll return it. It does, however, lather well and it's nice and soft. I like it except for the shedding.

UPDATE: Star Shaving sent me a replacement brush and it stopped shedding after two uses; I guess the first one was just defective. Anyway, kudos to Star Shaving for great customer service!

I bought a Silvertip Richmond and have used it for about two weeks. It shed about a dozen hairs the first shave, but none since. I do find it a bit soft (but I haven't tried enough brushes to compare) but it does hold lots of lather. Overall I am happy with it.

Top Bottom