What's new

Do shaving creams have expiration dates?

Arko stamps a 'born on' date on the carton the tube of cream comes in. The instructions state to use within five years of that date. I suspect you could go double that and be OK.

-- John Gehman

I realize that shaving creams won't last indefinitely, but does anyone know about how long they do last? This is assuming that they are kept in a dry storage area, like in a cabinet of a bathroom and pulled out only when that specific cream is being used.

Good question. Oh, about fifteen years ago Crabtree and Evelyn stopped making their super Hungary Water cream. I decided to hoard my only tube for special occasions. Years passed and now I am on the last one or two shaves. The last time I tried it, the goop inside had turned a more liquid texture and also had turned a tannish color from the original white. Yet it made a great lather and smelled just as good as ever.

I suppose the time to use the last bit will be for my birthday in March.

On the product label there is usually a picture of a tub with an open lid and a number followed by M, meaning months. This is the product's estimated expiry date once it is opened. I've found that most of the shaving cream tubs I've seen have 12M written on the label, meaning they have an estimated life of one year once they're opened.

Shawn
you are correct, sir

I'm NOT a chemist, but just surmise...
The soap properties have very, very long lives.
The fragrance elements are subject to change and deterioration over time, with exposure to heat, air.
I can imagine, a cream refrigerated might last for 50 to 100 years!
I have a tube of 1950-something Palmolive that lathers fine; perhaps the scent is slightly off.
And I have a tub of 2013-something Castle Forbes that probably had some heat exposure, that scentwise and latherwise is fine, but is clearly less-dense than when originally packed.
So, go figure. As they say, YMMV. Just try and enjoy!

$gillette tech june 24 2013.jpg

$2013-11-01T12-48-38_0.jpg

Thankfully shaving cream is not (yet) made like modern consumer electronics, or it would turn into stinking black goo within a week after the 12M period.

I used a can of Barbarsol that was over 20 years old. My mom found it in some camping gear in a rucksack in my old room closet.

I've been using Nancy Boy blossomwood every day for a month and a half because it developed little clumpy balls and I will continue to use it daily until it is gone. I did the same with NB's original scent cream when I realized it was past its prime.
Although I think NB a superior cream, I would suggest to those of us whose software rotation is large to be cognizant of NB's shelf life.

Last edited:
I ignore SC expiration dates just like I ignore drug expiration dates. If it works, it works. It's not like it's going to spoil and make you sick.

You all should use TOBS grapefruit cream. My 6 shooter. I go through this in 2 weeks, so no need to worry about it going out to pasture!
The stuff is great!

Nice day
Jimmy

After you open them they go bad FAST!!! Thankfully I know how dispose of them lawfully and quickly. PM me for my address and I will get rid of all of your old dirty soap, containers, razors and brushes... Just doing my civic duty:drool:

Lane

I'm glad I found this thread, I was just going to start one on this subject. I only own 2 tubes of creams and I was concerned about the expiration date. Now I'm not so worried about it. As long as they look good I'll use them.

Got a can of Hai Karate shave cream I'm giving to my brothr for Christmas. I'm just worried he'll jump kick me!

I think the expiration dates that manufacturers put on their products are primarily there to encourage you to buy more product before you've used up the entire batch. I have many items that are long past their dates and they work just fine. This includes both shaving gear, other grooming products and edibles in the kitchen.

The only shaving cream I've ever had seems to have gone dead on me is a tub of Proraso green croap. I bought it used from the BST, and I can't get this to lather to save my life. Another tub of the white croap that came in with the same sale, and is about the same age, seems to work just fine.

I think the expiration dates that manufacturers put on their products are primarily there to encourage you to buy more product before you've used up the entire batch.

No! How could you say they do that! There must be no truth in this statement and you just forgot the [sarcasm] tags!

In Germany the Producers are legally bound to print a best-before date on the packaging.
But my experience is that the creams are good applicable after that date. My oldest cream is years over and performs as on the first day.

There are definately going to be changes in the product. Chemicals all have half-lives...they will break down at some point. Now, perhaps it will not break down to the point it hurts anything (likely it won't), but it will become less effective. AND it won't do that over night. The expiration date or whatever is likely related to the half life of the shortest lasting ingredient.

For example, I really enjoy spicy foods and use crushed red peppers a lot on pizza/pasta. We recently threw out a container that was ~2 years out of date. When I started the new container, the peppers were MUCH hotter than the others.

All that to say, if it still makes good lather and the look/smell doesn't put you off, it's probably ok to use. The date is likely a partial money grab, but also a way for the manufacturer to ensure their product is consistent over a certain period.

The expiration date is the time in which the manufactures have to ensure that the product works or food is eatable.

I have 4 tubs of creams - 2 Castle Forbes (Lime and Cedarwood) and 2 TOBS (Sandalwood and Grapefruit). The CF Lime and TOBS Sandalwood are almost finished, and the other 2 have approximately 80% left. I'm not worried about them "expiring" whatsoever. I think it's probably more of an issue if you hoard creams like they're going out of style.

Top Bottom