Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a coffee maker!

Hybrid View

Default I need a coffee maker!

I need a coffee maker. I have a capresso burr grinder already. Convenience and performance is the name of the game. I have mastered the French press, the Chemex, the melitta, the bodum bistro but with 2 little kids I need large volumes of coffee w minimal attention! Espresso machine is out cuz the wifey doesn't think $1000 is well spent on coffee

So...I'm thinking capresso mt600. Technivorm is kinda pricey. Newco is fugly. Any others to consider?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HDPaul View Post
    I need a coffee maker. I have a capresso burr grinder already. Convenience and performance is the name of the game. I have mastered the French press, the Chemex, the melitta, the bodum bistro but with 2 little kids I need large volumes of coffee w minimal attention! Espresso machine is out cuz the wifey doesn't think $1000 is well spent on coffee

So...I'm thinking capresso mt600. Technivorm is kinda pricey. Newco is fugly. Any others to consider?
    love the Capresso!

Price is right, & great brew....
    JON
    "It's not a game, but we know how to play it."

Love my Krups.

Krups Hands down the best for the money... or go for the gusto and spend thousand for an espresso machine

5. Default

Budget, features desired, types of coffee enjoyed, types of drinks, etc? In an ideal world would you WANT an espresso machine and if so, would you want straight espresso or milk drinks?

I have VERY high end espresso machines, commercial grinders AND a superauto, and I just got a Nespresso machine and an Aeroccino JUST to test/compare it to the aforementioned options (full, detailed review to come) and while it can't hold a candle to fresh ground beans and a quality machine for straight espresso, it does a pretty admiral job for milk drinks and the Aeroccino is awfully neat and makes zero noise.
    - Joel
    joel (at) badgerandblade.com

rockviper is online now I caught a fish thiiiiiiiiiiii ... iiiiiiii ... iiiiiiii ... iiiiiis big!
    Images

We use a french press at home.

My original response was to say "get married," but then it hit me that I'm the one who makes the coffee at our house
    Me likey soaps ~Sam (subpar honer extraordinaire!) ... 3017ing Blue Willy! ... ...... ...... ..... It's never too late to help fight breast cancer!
    Bumbling Steward of the Straight Razor and Journals and Diaries fora
    New to B&B? Stop by the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself! ... ...
    Experimenting with straights, or new to DEs and wetshaving in general? Start a journal ... You'll be surprised at what you can learn!

Keurig
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Bunn all the way, no way would I consider anything else after that ridiculous journey of buying what seemed like nearly every coffee maker on the planet for a few years.
    [URL="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=3029425"]My last full photo spread[/URL] It's gotten a bit worse since then - Ken
    I Truly hope B&B makes a full recovery, I didn't realize how great the community was until it was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by probesport View Post
    Bunn all the way, no way would I consider anything else after that ridiculous journey of buying what seemed like nearly every coffee maker on the planet for a few years.

That's what we use. The hot water resivoir makes brewing a pot very quick.

Images

I gather you're looking for a drip maker. No history with Capresso, but I've regularly read good things. The important thing with drip coffee makers is power - most don't have the juice to get your water hot enough for a good cup of coffee.
    -Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Never2Late View Post
    Keurig

Shave yourself.

Ok, after all kinds of research and thinking.....(drum roll....)

I'm not getting one, haha. Thanks for the lively discussion all.

Looking at all of the coffee makers I observed that they are mostly plastic and I am concerned about phthalates and bpa.....so I'm sticking with the chemex and French press

Images

Quote Originally Posted by joel View Post
    I have VERY high end espresso machines, commercial grinders AND a superauto, and I just got a Nespresso machine and an Aeroccino JUST to test/compare it to the aforementioned options (full, detailed review to come) and while it can't hold a candle to fresh ground beans and a quality machine for straight espresso, it does a pretty admiral job for milk drinks and the Aeroccino is awfully neat and makes zero noise.
    I'll admit the Nespresso is the best of the pod machines, but after trying all of their coffee offerings over the years, I've only found 2 that are drinkable and one of them was a limited time special. If you're looking for milk drinks, it will make something better than Starbucks, but for straight espresso, it's marginal.

Any thoughts on this Cuisinart DGB-700BC ?

I have a chance to get one at $75 brand new.
    DIY Signature Kit. Some Assembly Required.
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz123456790

I'm also interested in this information.
    - Nathan

Images

Bunn or Mr. Coffee will make a great cup of coffee. I have a 40 dollar Mr. Coffee with adjustable pot temp , clock, self start timer and a cleaning cycle. I got it 3 years ago after our wedding present Westbend bit the dust. ( It was 13 years old)

Bottom line is how much do you want to spend.
    I'm a ole Minister who loves the Ole South. I am an Arko Acolyte.

Quote Originally Posted by dpm802 View Post

looks good to me, great options, but dunno how lang it would last...i'ld deffenetly take it if i were you, cuz the price is like nothing....

ps if you get it and dont like it, let me know

Quote Originally Posted by dpm802 View Post

My fiancee has a similar one and while it makes good coffee, it doesn't seem to make really HOT coffee.

I have an older, less complicated Cuisinart with a thermal carafe and it makes great, hot coffee.
    You'll feel a lot better after a good bleeding - Theodoric of York, Medieval Barber

I have mastered the French press, the Chemex, the melitta, the bodum bistro but with 2 little kids I need large volumes of coffee w minimal attention! Espresso machine is out cuz the wifey doesn't think $1000 is well spent on coffee.
    Large volumes will also rule out espresso unless you really want to pull 2oz at a time.

"Well spent" is also an interesting (and highly subjective) point. If I didn't have my espresso machine at home I'd easily exceed $1,000 at my favorite coffee shop in about 5 months. My current machine (not high end) paid for itself after 2 1/2 months and has been going strong since 2002.

Technivorm is kinda pricey. Newco is fugly.
    So it's not just convenience and performance then? Budget?
    Last edited by takeshi; 03-23-2011 at 08:50 AM.

Ok, to clarify, are there any other coffee makers comparable to the mt600 I should consider?

The capresso mt600 is within the budget, has the right features, and performs well (I hope).

Regarding the bunn and it's hot water heater...doesn't that waste a lot of energy if it constantly maintains a hot water reservoir? I guess I don't need that.