What's new

How many shaves with a Feather blade

I was wondering how many shaves you guys are getting out of a Feather blade. I really like them for their sharpness, but I don't seem to be getting much milage out of them. Wondering if this is the case for most.

Regards

~Steve~

I can do more but @ 3 I notice diminished sharpness, and sharpness is why I use them.
If I forget how many times I've used them I toss them and grab a new one.
DE blades, even Feathers, are dirt cheap. Why so serious? :batman:

Lately I have been really good at only using a blade twice then dumping it. It is a decision I made a few months ago, and it is working out great.
If anything, this decision has improved the Feathers most. They stay sharp long, but become a bit jagged after 2 or 3 shaves.

3. The fourth is going to be compromised, usually. But, on occassion, if I use the same razor*, I have gotten a decent fifth shave.

I am not sure if that is the "batchiness" of the Feather or some other variable, as I have pulled some blades that were never right on any shave.

*Also, I find if I switch the blade to different razors during its rotation, I am asking for trouble.

I have tried the 2-and-out thing but am just too cheap.

Finally, with the Feather, the second shave is the best shave. The first is a tad too aggressive. I really should do the 2-and-out. Dammit!!

My beard is light to medium and light skin, not too sensitive.

Longevity is my main (only) problem with Feathers; for a premium price I get one great and one ok shave out of a blade. There are a lot of blades at a much better price point that can give me a third or fourth shave at least as good as the Feathers' second. The first shave is really nice though but not good enough to buy them in large numbers.

3 good + 1 iffy shave with Feathers, but that's about right. I get 3 good shaves from most and usually don't even attempt a fourth.

i can get about 5-6. i have a goatee, which is where my really thick hairs are, so i dont shave my whole face. i guess that is why i get a few more shaves.

Gentlemen:

I have a standard rule of three shaves per blade, including the Feather. I feel the blade begins to lose its edges after the third shave. With some blades, for instance Derby, I usually go for one or two shaves maximum before replacing the blade.

Regards,

Obelit

I have a beard and a pretty sensitive neck :( So, I get between 2 & 3 shaves. I love them when I shave with a new one...and wish I wasn't so cheap when I shave with a second time.

Last edited:
As with most blades, the first shave with a feather is a little rough
The second shave is perfection
The third shave is excellent
By the fourth shave, the blade is over the hill

There are better blades to be had for more consistent results and without the premium price

2nd shave just a minute a go and it was very good. I'll see how the 3rd feels tomorrow. If it's good I might put them in the rotation with IPs, if not then I may not spend the extra dough.

Top Bottom