What's new

Making the scent of homemade AS last - HOW?

Well, our kitchen has turned into a lab at this point and my Bay Rum is coming along. To those who responded wanting free samples I am looking forward to it, but I want it to be my best. This second batch is MUCH improved over my first, much. But I am stuck on how to get the scent to last. I have added vanilla, a good deal of vanilla as a fixative and it is somewhat better, only somewhat.

My fear is that this may be much more involved than I thought. How do I get it to last like my Clubman does? Any ideas out there?

I am not an expert in this. I was interested in creating my own just for fun but I discovered that buying it off the shelf was cheaper.

Anyway, it sounds like you need more concentration in the scent oil. These people might have a suggestion for you. I have never used them but I had saved this website.

http://www.perfumersworld.com/

They have a West Indiain Bay Oil under Aromas-Spice (I think the number is Ch21). Anyway you might want to shoot them an Email.

Capt, I sent you the info. ... Glycerine, and the synthetic fixative Glucam was it? There might be others, just google perfume fixatives.

It wouldn't surprise me if places like Snowdrift farm had fixatives for retail sale.

Well, it is surprising what can happen in just two days if you tinker enough. Either it has "matured" or whatever but I think I am finally THERE. Believe it or not, I put in some more vanilla but then added orange extract from the grocery. It does now have its own character and seemed to last longer last night. Will check again in a few days...

Great find! That's a fantastic site as well, my black pepper concoction lasts a very short time, I'll be trying to up the oil, and adding that P20 and glycerin per your findings in the hope that it shores up the aroma for a much longer time! I'm not overly optimistic, I'm guessing black pepper just flat out dissipates too quickly, even the black pepper EdT I have dissipates in a couple hours regardless of the volume I apply, but I'm holding out hope as I love the smell!

Top Bottom