What's new

Newbie needs a top 5 purchase advice

Sorry if the English in my title sounds weird. English is my second language, my first is bad English :lol: anyway, as title says i'looking to keep a razor collection. Nothing too crazy, but I was wondering what would be your mid range top 5 DE razors. I have a EJ 89L so far ant thats about it.

I like new razors, but if I could find a couple nice vintages that would be cool too.

Thanks in advance

Joe

If I was looking to sample vintage Gillettes:

I might look at a Slim, a 47 Super Speed, maybe an early Tech razor, or an English Rocket also a 46-47 Aristocrat. None of these razors are pricey and most likely one or more will put a smile on your face.

Enjoy the journey,,,,,

Cool. Another question, a little off topic. How do you guys run your rotation? One razor a day/week, etc. Some of you guys out there that have to shave twice a day I will never know your pain.

Joe

If you like new, the merkur 37c is a classic. Almost the same as their vintage ones, and you don't have to "Lay Down" much cash for one.

"Don't Walk Away" from any deals on a Gillette adjustable either. Fatboy, slim, super, or even a toggle. An adjustable is a nice addition to any collection.

An old type, any Gillette old type, is another you should have in your "Possession".

I'm done with the bad Bad English references, but there are plenty of other razors to tempt you with. Go poke around Mr Razor to see most Gillette models.

And then stick around and prepare to become enamored with single edge razors too.

Here are my top five suggestions not in order:

Gillette Slim Adjustable
Gillette Red Tip
Merkur Futur
Merkur 37C (Slant)
Merkur 38C (Barber Pole)

I usually rotate whenever I need to change the blade. Hope that helps.

Merkur Progress or Mergress (just a modified Progress from a member), nice to support your fellow boardmembers. :thumbup1:

Thats a superb razor bro! Its a no brainer, cant mess up with that one!

Try out a Merkur Slantbar, everybody should at least try one.

Try a Single Edge (SE) style razor. Like a GEM 1912, everyready brand too.
I am a recent convert to SE from DE, and I love them already!

You already have my favorite DE razor in the EJ89L, so check that one of your list!!!

Sorry Im not a vintage razor collector, so I cant begin to guide you through that! Although My GEM razor is my first old one I own, but am far from expert on those either!

oh yeah my rotation....well it used to go like this:

Mergress set at 4-5 w/ Feather, 2-3 shaves, until blade needed changing.

Then I switched over to the EJ89L for 2-3 shaves with a Feather.

Pretty much a back and forth type deal. Not 100% sometimes I use either for more than a week, and then I end up missing the other one. lol

NOW, I'm strictly SE with my GEM OCMM til I learn that beast! Its going well too, so my DE's may not see much rotation in the future either! :001_cool:

Nice I lists guys. Keep them coming!

I was wondering about those SE razors. And some of those vintage open combs scare the he'll out of me...

IMHO you should try:

Gillette NEW. Inexpensive OC razor.
Super Speed, '40s. One of the classic Gillette TTO razors.
A GEM SE (single edged) razor. 1912, MM, Junior, whatever.
Fat-handled Tech. Another Gillette classic.
Slant. I finally got one, it's a nice razor. I would wait to get this though, as they are still being made, and it's not a good "newbie" razor.

There's enough variety here so that you can figure out what kind of razor you like. Open Comb? Heavy or light? TTO or three-piece? Aggressive or mild or in-between? Etc.

Do not get:
Anything "collectible" unless you find one at an incredible price. That includes most adjustables, variants of older Gillette razors such as the Tuckaway, etc. It's not that these razors aren't good - they are - but they are pricey and there's no reason for you to spend $60+ on a razor when you don't know what you like yet.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Let's see, top 5.

Gillette Tech
Gillette Superspeed
Gillette or Merkur Adjustable (one of them, I think anyone should experiment with an adjustable one day - SuperAdjustable, Slim, Fatboy, Mergress, Future).
Slant
Open Comb (Gillette New would be my recommendation).

If you have a #6, I'd say a custom handle from Cooncatbob is really worth it.

Nice I lists guys. Keep them coming!

I was wondering about those SE razors. And some of those vintage open combs scare the he'll out of me...

Yep, a much better shave, with a less expensive razor is something to fear!

im just kidding with you here.

Seriously try an SE razor, hell I will send you one, i have 20 more coming in within the next few days. Nothing to be afraid of.

Im more afraid of a Gillette DE....afraid of doing 4 passes to get a nice shave and the irritation that I will certainly get.

Top Bottom