Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: New guy looking for wisdom.

  1. Default New guy looking for wisdom.

    Hi. I'm an American grad student living in Macau, and I'm looking for comments from some of the experts.

    I'm using this thing:


    And the accompanying blades, because they're cheap and available at many stores.

    I'm considering a more expensive double edge (I like nice things), and I'm wondering how people have used this cheap Chinese Gillette feel it compares to higher priced models.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Posts
    4,420

    Default

    dang! I can't compare for you!

    In general, the weight of vintage DE's is part of their charm.
    Eric V

    i'd rather learn from one bird how to sing than to teach ten thousand stars how not to dance. e. e. cummings

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Linköping, Sweden
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Hi and welcome to B&B!

    I don't know about the one youre using but you should really consider having a look at the Merkur Progress Adjustable razor.
    Tom - Linköping, Sweden

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Lodge
    Posts
    12,182
    Images
    1

    Default

    Welcome
    Rocco

  5. #5

    Default

    Welcome!

    I have no experience with that razor/blade combo. How is it working for you? Some of the best razors I have were very inexpensive and others were not. I agree with Eric V that a well made razor with some weight to it makes for a better shaver.
    Best regards, Fran

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Charles, Missouri
    Posts
    578

    Default

    Welcome. Any Merkur would be a good choice.

  7. #7

    Default

    I think you will notice a difference in the shorter all metal vintage Gillette or modern Merkur like the Progress or other razors with a beefier head. That weight is what controls the shave for you.
    Scott

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    19,194
    Images
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by life2short1971 View Post
    I think you will notice a difference in the shorter all metal vintage Gillette or modern Merkur like the Progress or other razors with a beefier head. That weight is what controls the shave for you.
    +1. I am a big fan of adjustables and like the slim or FB, if you can find them, or the Merkur Progress. All are fine razors.
    Jim P. - St. Petersburg, FL

    ackvil (at) badgerandblade.com

    Any questions? Just ask! Since I may not read all of the posts feel free to PM or Email me.

    "Winning is
    like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."
    Jack Kemp

    “Be a gentleman at all times. Shine your shoes, shave every day, be considerate of others, and don't chew with your mouth open.” Words of advice from my late mother.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    13,107
    Images
    1

    Default

    Welcome to B&B!

  10. Thread Starter

    Default

    Seems to work ok, actually. I haven't used a double edge since my grandfather taught me when I was a kid, so I don't really have a standard for comparison. Kind of rough under the jawline still, but I'm working on it. I'm sure when my shipment of supplies gets here and I can get away from Gillette aerosol foam it'll be even better.

    The weight is what I was wondering about. I like the length of the handle, I've got a big hand. This thing requires you to apply some pressure if you want to shave anything.

    I keep hoping I'll run into some of these Weishi razors in a store someplace, because I'm sure they'll cost absolutely nothing and be fun to play with.. I'm not really desperately looking for something else, I'm just curious how other razors might feel with this one as a standard for comparison.

    Quote Originally Posted by franstjohn View Post
    Welcome!

    I have no experience with that razor/blade combo. How is it working for you? Some of the best razors I have were very inexpensive and others were not. I agree with Eric V that a well made razor with some weight to it makes for a better shaver.
    Quote Originally Posted by life2short1971 View Post
    I think you will notice a difference in the shorter all metal vintage Gillette or modern Merkur like the Progress or other razors with a beefier head. That weight is what controls the shave for you.

  11. #11

    Default

    I think the Weishi is very similar to what you have now in terms of weight. (NONE) So don't be too disappointed if you find one.
    Scott

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Pennsylvania
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Welcome!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Centerville Ohio, USA
    Posts
    10,727

    Default

    Welcome to B&B !!
    There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of those. - Casey Stengel

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Posts
    24,850

    Default

    Welcome to Badger & Blade!
    Matthew | QueenCharlotteSoaps.com - Handmade hand & body soap, shampoo bars, tallow shaving cream and soap, aftershave balm, and much more

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettgearing View Post
    Seems to work ok, actually. I haven't used a double edge since my grandfather taught me when I was a kid, so I don't really have a standard for comparison. Kind of rough under the jawline still, but I'm working on it. I'm sure when my shipment of supplies gets here and I can get away from Gillette aerosol foam it'll be even better.

    The weight is what I was wondering about. I like the length of the handle, I've got a big hand. This thing requires you to apply some pressure if you want to shave anything.

    I keep hoping I'll run into some of these Weishi razors in a store someplace, because I'm sure they'll cost absolutely nothing and be fun to play with.. I'm not really desperately looking for something else, I'm just curious how other razors might feel with this one as a standard for comparison.
    I have big hands also. Once I realized that I held the razor with my fingers and not in my fist, the length of the handle was less of a consideration. My razor collection includes both long and short handled and all are easy to use.
    Best regards, Fran

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Welcome to B&B!
    As long as your going to be thinking anyway, think big.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Saint Charles, Missouri
    Posts
    2,579
    Images
    1

    Default

    Welcome to B&B!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fort Myers, FL
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Welcome to B&B. I'm still using my EJ DE89L and don't have a comparison to that but if it works for you then that is all that matters. Of course if you get a chance to try a vintage razor I've heard they're great and after I've got 30 shaves or so under my belt I'm planning on trying one of the 2 vintage Gillettes I've picked up.
    Will |Life is Pain, you suffer until you die.-me|Half wookie - Chewbacca is my my cousin.

Similar Threads

  1. Ant wisdom
    By Alacrity59 in forum The Barber Shop
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 08:57 AM
  2. Need the Wisdom from Here
    By dickenscpa in forum The Haberdashery
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-18-2011, 06:37 AM
  3. Conventional Wisdom
    By dmalcolm in forum Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 10:20 AM
  4. Need some more collective wisdom!
    By zigar01 in forum General Straight Razor Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 10:06 AM
  5. Xmas wisdom
    By VampyreWolf in forum The Barber Shop
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 06:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.