What's new

Beers You Would Not Try Again

There are many favorite lists on the B&B. I thought I would start a list of the opposite. In this case, here are some beers that really did not like even though I may like other beers by the same brewer.

1. Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA - just awful. I drank the whole thing but only because I paid for it. I like most of Sam's beers, with Oktoberfest being my favorite. The Latitude 48 IPA is very bitter and has a horrid aftertaste.

2. Sam Adams Noble Pils - just yuck.

3. Allagash Interlude - I love several Allagash beers, including the Curieux, the White, Dubbel and Tripel; however the interlude was too many tastes. It is part beer, part wine and part champagne. It is an interesting taste, but definitely not worth the money and not something I want to try again.

Last edited:
I enjoy most beers, some more than others. The only beer I really disliked was a cherry flavoured lambic beer from Belgium. It just did not fit into my schema of what a beer should be.

Pete

I've had only a couple beers I wouldn't drink again:

Harpoon IPA - I bought this on a whim to try something new. I started drinking one but it tasted disgusting. I got another buddy to try one and he couldn't finish his. In all, we had six different people try one and each person thought it was awful. In hindsight, the beer was probably old and very skunky. However, it was easily my worst encounter with beer ever.

Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss - I like beers with fruit flavor on occasion. However, this one was like berry juice with beer flavor. I think I drank one and gave away the rest of the six pack.

There are many more I probably wouldn't purchase again, but it's just because I didn't like them as much as others.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Hamms

PBR

Miller Lite

Schmidt

Old Milwaukee

I do not think you can even get most of these anymore.

Seeing Leiny's posted above. I remember in the early 80's when we would go to Wisconsin Salmon fishing it was a dirt cheap beer. You could get a case of bottles for $5.00. You would crap your drawers the next day. Now it is a premier up scale beer.

I am a fan of porters and stouts mainly. Some strong ales, ambers, and lagers do get thrown in from time to time. But every time I try something like Lambic or Leinenkugel I am reminded why I choose the bitter, chocolate, coffee, nutty beers 9 out of 10.

With a couple of exceptions, I'll pretty much try any beer once - so more a case of beers I'll never try again. Sure I know what I like (Imperial IPAs top the list, but I'll enjoy most beers) but I'll always give a beer a try, especially if I'm out of town when I'll always look to try a local beer.

Exception number one - low quality extra strength lagers (Tennents Super, Carlsberg Special brew, etc.) We had a major falling out during my impetuous youth that ended in a long and loud shouting match (and me calling to God on the great white telephone). I can't even smell one without wanting to give it the technicolor yodel.

Exception number two - Budweiser & Bud lite. Started as a joke - how long could I avoid the stuff when I first moved to the US, and I used it as an excuse to always try the local beers, but it seems to have taken a life of its own. And to be honest, when I'm in the UK on business I'll avoid the mass produced European lagers (Carling, Heineken, Carlsberg, etc) and search out smaller brews (Hobgoblin was on the menu last trip back...)

But if that's you fave brew - enjoy.

Cheers, or
Slainte to those of you just getting over St. Pats, or
L'Chaim to those enjoying Purim.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. I had a couple of drafts while on vacation in Ky last year. It starts off good, but about half-way through the glass, the bourbon flavor begins to overpower the ale. I'm not a whiskey or bourbon drinker so it's not for me.

1. Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA - just awful. I drank the whole thing but only because I paid for it. I like most of Sam's beers, with Oktoberfest being my favorite. The Latitude 48 IPA is very bitter and has a horrid aftertaste.

2. Sam Adams Noble Pils - just yuck.

I could not agree more about Sam Adams, There's not a wide selection of their beers available to me at my home, but I went to a conference in St. Louis and bought a sampler case of their beer. Half the case was awful. I was surprised at how hit or miss their beers were.

Hamms

PBR

Miller Lite

Schmidt

Old Milwaukee

I am positive that you can still get all of them (well the only one i'm not sure of is the Schmidt).

I did not like Old Speckled Hen...although I have been forced to try it several times. I do not have a taste for Guinness or Famosa.

Blue Moon, Shock Top, or any Belgian White style - there's not enough "there" there...

Corona. Worst. Beer. Ever. With all the excellent Mexican beers available I can't for the life of me understand how this stuff survives, much less thrives. Marketed in Mexico to low-income customers, it makes Bud or Miller look heavy and over-hopped. Plus it's always light-struck thanks to the cheap clear bottles.

Hamms

PBR

Miller Lite

Schmidt

Old Milwaukee

You can definitely get PBR, Old Milwauke, and Miller Lite still has commercials on TV, so I assume its still available :biggrin1: never tried Schmidt before, but in College, one of the bars near campus had a "Thirsty Thursday" special where you could get PBR tallboys for 50 cents, so I've had my fair share of that...

Most of the Dogfish Line, with Midas Touch leading the pack

I hope you are excluding their "XX minute IPA" line-- the 60 and 90 are good, and the 120 is pretty good considering its high ABV...

Fosters lager

+1... I always felt it had a wierd finish

Corona. Worst. Beer. Ever. With all the excellent Mexican beers available I can't for the life of me understand how this stuff survives, much less thrives. Marketed in Mexico to low-income customers, it makes Bud or Miller look heavy and over-hopped. Plus it's always light-struck thanks to the cheap clear bottles.

It survives due to clever branding and aggressive marketing. But I agree definitely an inferior exampple of Mexican beer... Dos Equis, Modelo, and Pacifico are all better, and those are just as mainstream as Corona.

The beers I can't stomach are Rolling Rock and Redstripe (love their ads about ugly bottles making you beautiful, but hate whats in the bottles)

Rolling Rock

Keystone

Lucky Lager

Miller anything

Olympia

With so many good beers available, why settle?

Top Bottom