What's new

beginners straight

want to jump into using a straight, and have no idea where to start, I want something shave ready and honed, but don't wanna spend much as funds are tight, though i still want something thats cosmetically nice to display too.
Should i go new or used? one of the 20 dollar things going on ebay? try and get an older one? or something else?

Hi Dave... I recently bought a cleaned up, honed and sharpened from the BST. Very cheap option considering and an antique blade looks great to display. I reckon s a great way to go to get started on straights. You ge something shave-ready that's a known quantity.

Cheers.

Check out whippeddog.com. Larry is great to work with. Look at his site, pick out the razor you want, which are very reasonable. Send him an e-mail and he will get back with you, hone it and ship it out. Also check out his Poor Mans Strop kit which is great for a beginner.

Check out whippeddog.com. Larry is great to work with. Look at his site, pick out the razor you want, which are very reasonable. Send him an e-mail and he will get back with you, hone it and ship it out. Also check out his Poor Mans Strop kit which is great for a beginner.

+1:thumbup1: Larry is a great guy!

+1

I recently convinced a friend to order from him. Good stuff, and at that price it won't hurt if you decide straight razor shaving isn't for you.

Aside from that, there are plenty of people here on the BST that know what they're doing, that sell cleaned up and honed vintage razors. might be worth a shot.

thanks for the feedback, in the end i was very kinda offered a custom Bengall, which looks fantastic, also coming with it is a leather strop and balsa strop.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
thanks for the feedback, in the end i was very kinda offered a custom Bengall, which looks fantastic, also coming with it is a leather strop and balsa strop.

You might want to get a cheap strop to start with. You will nick your strop for sure, everyone does.

^^^ I can attest to that. Thankfully I only did it to the very end of my strop. Get a cheap strop, it doesn't do the shaving. Invest in a good blade - or put it off until you can.

The guy who sold me my first straight razor had the following to say:
I don't really believe in starter razors any more than I believe in starter hammers. I'm a firm believer in buying the tool you want to use, and learning how to use it to get the desired results.

I feel like those were wise words.

Last edited:
Top Bottom