What's new

question about buttons...

I was just ironing a couple of shirts, one being a fav of mine with French cuffs, thinking to myself i wish i had more French cuff shirts, especially ones with a bit of quality to it like this one..
This got me thinking about another one in my wardrobe, a shirt i got from a discount clothing store in Australia called lowes, this shirt was made in China I believe but seems to be of pretty good quality.
Now my question is, this Chinese discount store shirt that seems to be pretty well made, has the lowermost button hole stitched in red fabric, whereas the rest of them are in white (the shirt itself being white with feint pink pin-striping).
Why is this last buttonhole stitched in red?

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Not sure. Maybe to make lining up easier on the first button. Assuming you start at the bottom and go up like I do. I have a shirt with the last hole in black thread. I also have a couple where the last hole is cut horizontal rather than vertical like the rest.

yeah its odd, i start buttoning from the top, ive heard of horizontal cut buttonholes but yeah, dunno

More than likely it's just a design feature, the same way some European manufacturers stitch the last buttonhole horizontally vs vertically (which no functionality other than to symbolize it being the last button)...or line the inside suit jacket in red....just something to be a bit different from the rest ;)

I have all my custom shirts made only with French cuffs, then can use them with casual silk knots, sterling cuff links, or just roll up the sleeves. Lots of versatility, they're great!!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
More than likely it's just a design feature, the same way some European manufacturers stitch the last buttonhole horizontally vs vertically (which no functionality other than to symbolize it being the last button)...or line the inside suit jacket in red....just something to be a bit different from the rest ;)

I suspect this is the case. Lots of shirtmakers will do something different with the last buttonhole, be it a different coloured thread, or horizontal, (or both).

FWIW, I've heard that the horizontal buttonhole is supposed to be better at keeping the bottom button buttoned, but can't say if that is actually true.

I have two shirts from Land's End that were made in Hong Kong. The bottom-most button hole on each is cut horizontally and stitched with dark blue thread.

Top Bottom