What's new

First interior shots of my Modern Gentry barbershop... for anyone who remembers it.

Hey guys,

Some of you may remember the barbershop I'm designing right now. I've posted several threads here about it, but nothing recently.

Well, I've moved far enough along in the project that I have an interior shot to share now. Please be aware that this is an "untextured" Revit perspective. That is why everything is plain white. I will go in before rendering and assign materials to everything.

What you see in this shot is the haircutting area. Four chairs and two sinks (not visible - one blocked by a wall and one blocked by a chair). On the other side of the green chairs is another similar area, only with two chairs dedicated to straight shaves and a large four person shoe shine stand. The spiral stair leads upstairs to the lounge where there is a bar and a fireplace among other things.

Anyway, tell me what you think.

having not seen any of the previous threads about this project, I'm curious:

Are you designing this "For Real" (as in to actually be built)? Or as a lark?
What is "the vibe" going to be? In that render, it appears very modern, but I know that you said it was a bare render.

As to my opinion:
It looks excellent-- I dig the contemporary style (if that is going to stand) and think that this space would be right at home in a South Beach Hotel, or an Office Building in any urban center.
My favorite parts are the large Picture windows upstairs and the staircase. That spiral staircase is awesome, do you have a plan to utilize the space 'under' the stairs?

May I ask a few questions? Make a few suggestions, I'm sure you had good reasons for setting things the way you did, and I'm curious as to your reasoning:
why no shelves behind the chairs for the barbers' individual tools?
why the 2x2 setup rather than 4 in a row as I've traditionally seen, if you did the row parrallel to the waiting area, the barbers and customers could continue to carry on a dialogue (this is how my old barbershop was setup so perhaps I'm a bit biased)
any thougts to put a retail area in the shop?
Why not arrange the waiting area to inspire conversation (a loose semicircle to sort of force the customers to look at each other rather than eyes-ahead-don't-talk-to-me sort of behavior?

I hope that the questions/suggestions are not off-putting, I genuinely think it looks great as is, just was curious if you had thought these things out and decided against them for a particular reason (after all this is not my area of expertise at all)

It's a class project he is working on. Very modern looking.... Maybe a little too modern. But still excellent work

having not seen any of the previous threads about this project, I'm curious:

What is "the vibe" going to be? In that render, it appears very modern, but I know that you said it was a bare render.

As to my opinion:
It looks excellent-- I dig the contemporary style (if that is going to stand) and think that this space would be right at home in a South Beach Hotel, or an Office Building in any urban center.
My favorite parts are the large Picture windows upstairs and the staircase. That spiral staircase is awesome, do you have a plan to utilize the space 'under' the stairs?

May I ask a few questions? Make a few suggestions, I'm sure you had good reasons for setting things the way you did, and I'm curious as to your reasoning:
why the 2x2 setup rather than 4 in a row as I've traditionally seen, if you did the row parrallel to the waiting area, the barbers and customers could continue to carry on a dialogue (this is how my old barbershop was setup so perhaps I'm a bit biased)
Why not arrange the waiting area to inspire conversation (a loose semicircle to sort of force the customers to look at each other rather than eyes-ahead-don't-talk-to-me sort of behavior?

I hope that the questions/suggestions are not off-putting, I genuinely think it looks great as is, just was curious if you had thought these things out and decided against them for a particular reason (after all this is not my area of expertise at all)

Having not seen any of the previous threads about this project, I'm curious:

It isn't for real... yet. It's a hypothetical interior design project for my last semester before graduating with my bachelor's degree.

As to my opinion:

You can't see in this view, but the space under the stairs is occupied by a sizable storage and mechanical room.

As of now, there is a large full wall shelf for barbicide jars, etc, under the two visible windows. I do intend to add smaller tables against the wall behind each chair as well.

I looked at a lot of shops, and you're right... the 4 in a row configuration is most prevalent. However, I went with 2x2 to maximize cross-conversation potential.

There is one. A large one. I'll try to get up pics soon. I'm calling it an apothecary, although I really only sell shaving and grooming supplies. It's in the front of the store, so it's the point of entry for everyone (to potentially maximize profits).

There's another service area to the right in this perspective that you can't see. These chairs serve as a small waiting area for each of these services areas, and the conversational groupings are focused more towards the areas for which the customers are waiting. The upstairs lounge is the "real" waiting room, and it features lots of comfortable chairs in classic conversation groupings.

Your questions aren't off-putting at all. I enjoyed them. Thanks for taking such a thorough look at what I've done.

It's a class project he is working on. Very modern looking.... Maybe a little too modern. But still excellent work

I agree it looks that way now. I think it's because of all the stark whiteness, and the glass railings are probably throwing you off. I think you'll be happy with the final product, though. It's got a long way to go yet.

I agree it looks that way now. I think it's because of all the stark whiteness, and the glass railings are probably throwing you off. I think you'll be happy with the final product, though. It's got a long way to go yet.

Awesome. I'll keep monitoring this thread with anticipaton!!

I think the main problem with your design is your whole space has tons of natural light, except in the one place that should have it the most, the hair cutting area. At the very least you should knock out that wall between the hair cutting area and the window wall.

Let me propose a more drastic change though. The tucked away area where the hair cutting area is now is a perfect location for the bar/fireplace. Put the hair cutting area upstairs, in the open, in the light.

If you think about it it is much more practical for a business. Your front entrance will be ground level so your waiting area / bar should be ground level. Plus this will cut the amount of random foot traffic / distraction going past your hair cutting area.

Last edited:
I see the postmodern thing you got going on with the columns and the window juxtaposed with the sleeker elements. I like the green in the customer chairs but having the customer exposed in the waiting area in the middle of the room might make him feel like more of a specimen than a customer. I have to tell you the design looks a bit clinical to me. Perhaps more appropriate for a dental office? But if you had a toothache it might be murder walking down all those steps!

Very interesting but a few details:
I don't like the 2x2 seating configuration. Guys are used to sitting side by side to chat like at a bar. If they sit face to face they will be looking around and gesturing to each other which means they move their heads more which will annoy the barbers very quickly! Side by side is closer and will still lead to good banter but in a more traditional, controlled and "you can do your job while I chat" kind of way. Also barbers will need a mirror directly in front of their client to cross check the cut.

Their is A Lot of space in here. This isn't a bad thing right now but the decor will make or break this. Is needs to be warm and welcoming and the more space you have the harder this will be to achieve. I look forward to seeing the fully rendered version!

The cutting area is really tucked in there, I would hope the natural light flow wouldn't interfere with the necessary artificial light you would need at the cutting stations. In my college whenthe sun is at about 3pm is GLARES into my workstation and it's horrible. Natural light needs to be well utilised and controlled.

What is the Center seating section there for? The seats look uncomforable so as you mentioned it's not a waitng area. Why not put a pool table there instead?

Every complaint you guys are making stems from the fact that the space is unfinished. There's a ton of natural light because there's no roof, for example. The walls are all white because I haven't assigned materials to anything. The green on those chairs wasn't even chosen by me. They came that way and I've yet to assign a new material to them.

I stared at pics of Taylor of Old Bond Street, Truefitt & Hill, Geo F. Trumper, Penhaligon's, and Baxter Finley in California for days on end. Trust me when I say that the space will exude the same prestige and intimacy when it's done.

I guess I probably shouldn't have put this pic up yet. It's maybe a little TOO preliminary.

I think it's great that you put it up. It shows your maturity and the fact you wanted some feedback. I understand it's prelimiary and it's high time someone had a new approach to the concept!

One thing I would say you might want the focus on the customer leaving the barber salon and not coming into the barber salon. If you have a guy coming in maybe he doesn't look that good and yet he has to walk down a sweeping rather dramatic staircase and walk out into an expanse and sit down in an exposed position it says: look at me! A guy might want to be looked at going out but not coming in.

Last edited:
Thanks. Now that I have the attention of so many, I'll try to get some more descriptive images up tonight. One thing Revit does that I dislike is that it makes spaces look cavernous in perspective views. For instance, Danielle, there's only 5' - 10" of space between those barber chairs and the waiting chairs in the middle of the room. It looks like 10' in this image though.

Ah okay. But what about needing a countertop beside of and a mirror in front of each client?
Also are the basins made so the barber can stand behind the basin and wash the hair or do they have to lean over the client's head?

As of now, there is a large full wall shelf for barbicide jars, etc, under the two visible windows. I do intend to add smaller tables against the wall behind each chair as well.
Ah, OK-- I saw the long shelf but didn't put 2 and 2 together.

There is one. A large one. I'll try to get up pics soon. I'm calling it an apothecary, although I really only sell shaving and grooming supplies. It's in the front of the store, so it's the point of entry for everyone (to potentially maximize profits).
I'm not sure how accurate your project has to be, but careful calling the shop an apothecary might get you in trouble in real life as that term usually describes a pharmacy (and in Florida, if you call a shop an apothecary you have to have a pharmacy license-- just fyi)

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this-- do you have a floor plan view of the whole space? might help some of us to visualize the dimensions that the render exagerated?

elevator access? you got to have handicapped access these days. also, even with industrial a/c sitting in the sunlight would annoy me.

I think it looks pretty slick, esp considering that you've told us textures have not been rendered/roof has not been put in, etc.

I agree with Barber-Eile though... I would turn the two sets of chairs you have outward, something like this (where the opening of the caret is the front of the chair) - also allows for mirrors to be put in:

> <
> <

Totally dig the spiral staircase too.

Nice work so far. Keep us posted!

- ice

It seems weird to me that in a barbershop the hair cutting area takes up the least amount of square footage.

I think you need to read this: Sales per Square Foot

"Retail real estate (IE, paying for storefront) is one of the largest costs for retailers and restaurants, and Sales per square foot measures how successful the company is at making money off of this key asset. Companies with low sales per square foot have less cushion to cover their expenses, and their business model may not make the best use possible of their retail space."

Top Bottom