What's new

More Issues with stone progression

Okay I have been honing up my own razors for a while now and I am sure something is missing.

What I do

DMT 325
Naniwa 1000 ss
Coticule
Strop with TI Pate A Rasoir
Strop with Crox
Linen
Leather

Now what I am finding when I go through each stage,
dmt 325 - leaves micro chips in the blade, but certainly brings it to an edge

Naniwa 1000 ss - shrinks the micro chips down but are still there just a lot smaller

Coticule - When I finish Dilocote it looks like theres a round edge under the microscope there is a tiny strip which illuminates like the stone has not taken the metal to it's edge and there are tiny blips barely visible along it, which I assume are the micro chips left from the 1k stone.

To get over this recently I have been going to the TI rasoir pate because this cuts through very fast and then back to the coticule, and rinse and repeat this until the majority of the blips in the blade have gone.

I am wondering if I need a stone to bridge the gap between those two stones say a Naniwa 3k or 5k / Shapton 4k / Norton 4K, if this is the case which stone would you advise.

I have tried doing very large numbers of laps very patiently aiming to use no pressure on the 1k stone, this however does not shrink the micro chips.

Opinions and theories welcome

I wouldn't use the DMT in the progression. I only use mine to get rid of chips in blades. The scratches from a DMT325 are very deep and I suspect you're not getting rid of them fully with the 1k and coticule. Try using your 1k as the bevel setter.

I wouldn't use the DMT in the progression. I only use mine to get rid of chips in blades. The scratches from a DMT325 are very deep and I suspect you're not getting rid of them fully with the 1k and coticule. Try using your 1k as the bevel setter.

Or just use your 1K long enough to remove the scratches. I use the DMT 325 all the time with wedges and have no issues with my chosera 1K removing the scratches.

You also shouldn't need pastes after the coticule, so this suggests that you need a bit more practice on it.

Make sure your razor shaves arm hair coming off the 1K, then you can dull it with one stroke on glass and then make sure it shaves arm hair again coming off a thick slurry on your coticule. When it does progress through your dilucot.

Top Bottom