What's new

I've never tasted brandy

It occurred to me recently, that I have no idea what brandy tastes like. Can you gentlemen recommend a bottle to start out with? Somewhere around $20 would be perfect, but I could possibly go higher.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Dave:
I think any of the below brandies would be a good start that is within your price limits. :lol1:

E & J XO Brandy

Paul Masson VSOP Brandy

Christian Brothers Amber VSOP Brandy

Korbel Brandy

Asbach Uralt (German), Brandy

St. Remy VSOP (French), Brandy

Christopher
proxy.php
"Drinking is a way of ending the day". Ernest Hemingway

E&J XO is my "go to" brandy and likely the best bang for the buck. I find it very smooth and good to mix (sidecars, Yum!) or sip.

Dang, I grabbed the wrong bottle then :laugh:
I decided to wing it last night, and nabbed a pint bottle of E&J VS since it was only 6 bucks. They have the XO version for only around $13, so I think I'll head back soon. Here are my first impressions:
Not only is the brandy much cheaper than scotch ($40 for the most expensive cognac they had,) I can actually drink it. Don't get me wrong, I like scotch and whiskey, but since I switched reflux medications I cannot drink them without suffering from major heartburn. Though similar, the brandy goes down easier and does not upset my stomach. It's smoother in mouthfeel and lacks a lot of the burn. The finish is nice and sweet. I read that brandy is best when slightly chilled, so I placed a scotch glass in the freezer for 20 minutes and swirled the brandy before drinking.
Between me and my brother, we have the major distilled liquors covered. He prefers the scotch and bourbon, I'll take my brandy and cognac :thumbup1:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Dang, I grabbed the wrong bottle then :laugh:
I decided to wing it last night, and nabbed a pint bottle of E&J VS since it was only 6 bucks. They have the XO version for only around $13, so I think I'll head back soon. Here are my first impressions:
Not only is the brandy much cheaper than scotch ($40 for the most expensive cognac they had,) I can actually drink it. Don't get me wrong, I like scotch and whiskey, but since I switched reflux medications I cannot drink them without suffering from major heartburn. Though similar, the brandy goes down easier and does not upset my stomach. It's smoother in mouthfeel and lacks a lot of the burn. The finish is nice and sweet. I read that brandy is best when slightly chilled, so I placed a scotch glass in the freezer for 20 minutes and swirled the brandy before drinking.
Between me and my brother, we have the major distilled liquors covered. He prefers the scotch and bourbon, I'll take my brandy and cognac :thumbup1:
Mycon:
Cheers!!!

Christopher
proxy.php
"Drinking is a way of ending the day". Ernest Hemingway

I like my brandy with two cubes. The room temp brandy will melt down the ice slowly. Ive always wanted to try christian brothers brandy frost...

Odd seeing this post as I finish my first bottle of brandy. I've just started my adventure into brandy with a bottle of Marquis de Villard, it was good but obviously my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. My next bottle is going to be from South Africa, I've read that they legally have to follow the same production methods that are practiced in the Cognac region of France and thus produce excellent brandy for their price point. Any here have experience with SA brandy?

For my part I go almost exclusively with Hennessy XO. VSOP is good for mixing and I once got a bottle of Extra as gift that I whished I could convince myself to afford again, but there are limits to what I want to spend. (Limits not applicable to shaving équipment of course!)
Related to Cognac is also the Calvados, some can be too sweet abd fruity for me but some. mm just heaven ;)

Prefer to drink unchilled in a rounded tumbler or classic cogac glass - The small one, not the gigantic you can put your head inside!

On the days that I do not have to go to work, my first cup of coffee will contain a shot of brandy. For using with coffee I buy the brand that is on sale, Christian Bros, E&J or Paul Masson.

My favorite brandies are plum brandies (Serbian ones to be more specific)

Zuta Osa Slivovica (Yellow Wasp, slivo=plum)
Imperial Slivovica
Stara Sokolova (probably won't find this in the liquor store)
Manastirka Slivovica

Those are my favorite Serbian plum brandies (some like it mixed with honey, 2 parts slivo, 1 part honey, but i only drink it this way with the cheap stuff)

Raynal VSOP French Brandy is excellent alone; with soda or in a Side Car. If you can find it, buy it. It's reasonably priced and a better deal at $20 a large bottle than the cheap stuff which is $20 a gallon; or the too expensive stuff that is no better than Raynal. Trust me on this one. The Side Car is one of my favorite mixed drinks and I only use Raynal. The only problem is that it is sometimes hard to find. If you live in a reasonably civilized area, at least one purveyor will have it.

So I decided to try the Sidecar last night. It wasn't a true Sidecar as I didn't feel like shelling out for Cointreau right now, so I subbed it with a splash of blue raspberry vodka.
Maybe I should call it a Summer Sidecar? Either way it was :thumbup:

Courvoisier VSOP is very nice, a bit more expensive but was the "brandy of Napoleon". The better cognacs/brandies go down nicely neat at room temp but the less expensive ones do very well with soda and in the US, ice.

I love brandy - damn its a school night and now I'm tempted to pour myself a glass.

Anyway - I recommend staying away from the big name cognacs. I love cognac but since they became hip and rappers started pouring them on naked girls they are just too pricey and most of the money goes to a multinational anyway. Any good liquor store should stock some small batch brandys, congacs, armengacs, calvados etc for less than a bottle of Remy-Martin will set you back.

Having said that - I like E and J and its a fine brandy for the price especially if its going in a cocktail.

Top Bottom