What's new

Decent everyday automatic watches?

I've always liked self winding watches and I wear a watch almost daily. So I'm looking for something that would be a decent everyday automatic watch. Something that looks nice but if it takes an occasional beating I'm not going to get in a twist over it either. I tend to wear a watch no matter what I'm doing during the day. I've sat a desk with a watch, helped friends/family build a retaining wall out of block, and done all kinds of house projects including laying tile with a watch on. Anyone have any suggestions? Two tone band preferred, stainless next, and I really don't like leather bands.

What about the movements of some of those different makers in terms of qualilty? All about the same quality or can we rank them in terms of lowest to highest?

Check out all the great auto-offerings from Seiko. Seiko 5 line is tough to beat. Many styles, great prices, solid watches.

If $ isn't an issue, I'd get a Hamilton out of that list. Probably a Khaki King Auto with black dial. I'm not a big leather strap guy either, but strap on this watch looks good.

But you can get a Seiko5 for a fifth of the price and it'll still be a nice watch that won't wreck your day if you knock it around.

Last edited:
I've always liked self winding watches and I wear a watch almost daily. So I'm looking for something that would be a decent everyday automatic watch. Something that looks nice but if it takes an occasional beating I'm not going to get in a twist over it either. I tend to wear a watch no matter what I'm doing during the day. I've sat a desk with a watch, helped friends/family build a retaining wall out of block, and done all kinds of house projects including laying tile with a watch on. Anyone have any suggestions? Two tone band preferred, stainless next, and I really don't like leather bands.

What's your budget ?

Regards

:001_smile

My main problem with the Seiko 5 line is they all seem to be in the 36mm range, too small for my tastes. If you would like something a bit bigger (40mm-ish) check out the automatic Pro Diver line from Invicta. Reliable Japanese automatic movement, many/most with exhibition casebacks, and fairly classic Rolex styling.

Any of the Seiko divers are a great choice! I love mine, it never leaves my wrist.

proxy.php

Invicta Pro Diver would be a good place to jump in. Not bad looking watches (since they rip-off every other watch manufacturer's design tey should look nice!), and can be found at a decent price; probably less than $75.00.

If you want to go up a bit in price, you absolutely can't go wrong with the Seiko SKX line of Diver's. Most guys go with the SKX007, or with my preference, the SKX173. I prefer the triangle indices of the 173 over the round ones on the 007, but it's your decission, not mine!

proxy.php

Another consideration might be the Orient Mako II Diver. I didn't have an orange face watch and this one fit the bill nicely! It's about 45mm, so it might be too big, but I love the way it wears.

proxy.php

Hope this helps and I also hope you find just the right watch!

Budget wise I'd like to stay under $200. I've considered the Invictas before, in fact one of my fathers friends is a jewler and he was selling them for a while. He stopped carrying them because they would never ship him replacement parts when they came in for repairs. He had to send them back to the company, which obviously didn't help his watch repair business. So the idea that should something need repair puts me off about having to ship a watch out for a few weeks when I know he can have it done in a dew days.

Budget wise I'd like to stay under $200. I've considered the Invictas before, in fact one of my fathers friends is a jewler and he was selling them for a while. He stopped carrying them because they would never ship him replacement parts when they came in for repairs. He had to send them back to the company, which obviously didn't help his watch repair business. So the idea that should something need repair puts me off about having to ship a watch out for a few weeks when I know he can have it done in a dew days.

I wouldn't be worrying about repairs on a $200 watch. If it breaks you would probably just pitch it and buy another because a repair would probably cost you well over $100. In your price range Seiko and Citizen and Orient are your best options. You could also check out Christopher Ward and also some of the Russian Brands too.

Don't flame me but a few years ago I got a Rousseau Watch from Amazon that I absolutely love...it is a skeleton with Auto - eco movement, and it is the best watch I never spent a mint on. It was $78 shipped, works like a charm, is beautiful, and has not lost a second in all that time...I also own a passed-down Rolex, albeit a fine watch, but not better than my Rousseau, and I appreciate seeing the movement on the Rousseau! :thumbup:

See http://www.rousseauwatches.com/ for more info.

Have you looked at Vostok Amphibias? Russian autos at great prices! I have a Vostok Komondirskie that is a manual wind movement from the same company, and it runs great! (it's the wristwatch in my avatar):001_smile

I wouldn't be worrying about repairs on a $200 watch. If it breaks you would probably just pitch it and buy another because a repair would probably cost you well over $100. In your price range Seiko and Citizen and Orient are your best options. You could also check out Christopher Ward and also some of the Russian Brands too.

Well having him as my fathers friend means my repairs are usually free :001_smile. Although I do like that black and red bevel diver one. Can you get it in a two tone?

If you're referring to the one I posted, it is actually a very dark blue and red, with a dark blue face - but they do make a black and red IIRC. Mine is an SKX175. They have a whole lineup of those style divers which have variations in color on the face/bezel, as well as different shapes of hour markers and of course different bands. They use the 7s26 movement which is very nice and has been used in their lineup for decades. They can be had under your $200 mark and come with a 1 year warranty.

Top Bottom