What's new

show me your hunting rifle/shotgun/levergun

Below is my FWB 300 match air rifle from the early seventies, it's still a tack driver.

proxy.php

Larry

Got one of those, and agree fully about tack driver, or match lighter accuracy. It's probably the absolute most accurate gun I have ever used.

The trigger is adjustable fore and aft on a little rail, pivots left and right and also can be canted side to side to fit your finger exactly, which helps when the trigger pull is only a couple of ounces.

It is totally recoilless, recoil in a spring air gun coming from the violent motion of the mainspring. When you pull the trigger it also releases the cylinder/barrel assembly which slids back on a couple of rails and counters the recoil effect of the spring and piston moving forward.

I also have a FWB 124 sporter, thats dates from early-mid 70's. It's a 1000fps performer, and although the trigger is not nearly as good as the model 300, and recoil is harsh, is extremely accurate.

I understand some of the newer pre charged pneumatics are more accurate, as are some of the CO2 guns, but they have gotten so expensive I cannot justify one, nor do I think at my age and with 66 year old eyes could come close to shooting to it's potential.

Either are good for pests or very small game, especially the model 124.

For bird hunting I prefer a little Darne( sliding breech French made double barrel) 28 ga, Small game either my old Marling 39a 22 that dad bought me when I was about 7 years old, or a little Marling 1894 in 32-20. For deer, pigs, my old 1964 vintage Winchester Mod 70 featherweight in 30-06. None are still shiney with new, but are acquiring the well cared for patina of age.

I have a lot of other guns in bigger and smaller calibers that are a lot of fun to shoot, but see very little hunting. One rifle I picked up a few years back may see a bit of deer hunting later this year. It's a 1929 vintage Swedish Husqvarna Model 6 sporter in 9.3x57 Mauser. It shoots a big bullet at modest velocity so recoil is mild, plus I like the long 26" barrel with express type sight. The old gun just fits me well, and shoots good with open sights.

Last edited:
Long barrel Model 94 with my 586 and some leather I made, and my short barrel 94 that is also sporting some leather I made.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Long barrel Model 94 with my 586 and some leather I made, and my short barrel 94 that is also sporting some leather I made.

proxy.php

proxy.php

nice one! do you find the cobra sling cumbersome when you're out hunting? I have a Montana Sling on my bolt-action and will probably use a Montana Sling should I ever get a lever gun

Here is one of my .45-70 lever guns.... I had this one cut down to 16" and put XS sights and scout rail on it. I really like how it handles and it is a HAMMER!!

proxy.php

Tom

was the barrel originally 20"? did shortening the barrel effect how it shoots in any way? do you have to deal with significant muzzle blast?

nice one! do you find the cobra sling cumbersome when you're out hunting? I have a Montana Sling on my bolt-action and will probably use a Montana Sling should I ever get a lever gun

I carry this out and around the farm pretty frequently, the cobra head I padded and it's really quite nice. I wear it muzzle down (not as installed in that picture) so that I can still use the strap to stabilize for an off hand shot. I'll have to snap a few pictures of my 45-70 and muzzle loader this weekend.

On a side note if you don't own a lever gun, do yourself a favor and get one (or 5). I have 6 and still want more.

On a side note if you don't own a lever gun, do yourself a favor and get one (or 5). I have 6 and still want more.

trust me, i've been wanting a lever gun for some time now and i'm hoping I can get one soon. I'll likely get a Winchester 94 or a Marlin 336 (older production) chambered in a 30-30. I also wouldn't mind owning the Marlin 39A .22 lever gun, but that'll have to wait.

I've got all three. The 336's are fun resto guns and can be had dirt cheap! I have a 39A 'Golden' that has seen no less than 100k rounds, great gun to teach people to shoot on.

was the barrel originally 20"? did shortening the barrel effect how it shoots in any way? do you have to deal with significant muzzle blast?

I honestly can't remember, I think it was a 20-24". I never shot it without having it shortened. I do have a longer barreled .45-70 Marlin and there isn't much noticeable difference in shooting them...

From what I have read it shouldn't really affect the performance much ether, MAYBE a couple of hundred fps.

Tom

Top Bottom