What's new

New Canoe

getting ready for spring, summer, camping and fishing. we just picked up our 1st ever NEW canoe.

16' Alumimum Lil' Missourian by Osagian, square stern to mount out electric motor for when i take the kids and dog out. it's a 2 seater, but we'll add a couple of slings for the kiddies so we're all sitting like "ducks in a row" for balance, but with a 65lb dog in there, it'll probably be rockin'. don't worry, she wears a life jacket too :bored: you should see the looks we get when we take her in her life jacket. but hey, she's part of the family and if we are in the middle of a lake and we capsize and she get's hurt, we're not leaving her behind :thumbup1:

can't wait to hit the water and do some exploring, fishing (not that i catch anything) and paddling.

That's a nice little canoe. It'll provide years and years of fun. Are you going to get one of the Minn Kota electric motors?

I'm going to buy a Sea Eagle inflatable boat soon for the summer. They are about $800 and it even comes with a Minn Kota electric motor, rigid floorboards so you can stand up, oars, carry bag. And they hold about 4 people (1000 pounds).

http://www.seaeagle.com/gallery/big/124smbFamilyPortrait.jpg

Last edited:
That's a nice little canoe. It'll provide years and years of fun. Are you going to get one of the Minn Kota electric motors?

I'm going to buy a Sea Eagle inflatable boat soon for the summer. They are about $700 and it even comes with an electric motor. And they hold about 6 people (1000 pounds).
[/IMG]

we already have a 30lb electric thrust motor. got it off kijiji last year and then picked up a big costco batter and minkota battery power pack (fancy case). we had a used fiberglass last year, but decided to upgrade this year.

your sea eagle looks like a nice little craft as well. i wasn't sure how much we would like it last year, but we love it. it's nice to get out on the water.

we roof top it on our van when we got camping (tow a hybrid trailer) and this year, i'll be cold water shaving in the lake at some spots, where we don't have resources :w00t:

This is going to be really off topic from the original post, but I'm interested in purchasing my own canoe in the next couple of years. Anyways, I was in a canoe museum and saw a bunch of canoes that had been outrigged to be used with a sail. I thought that was really cool and would be pretty interesting to try. Has anyone tried this?

That is awesome. Your family is going to have so much fun. We take our dog with us when we canoe and he wears a life jacket. He's a basset hound. He's not a real strong swimmer.

Canoes are great! It's nice to grab a fishin' pole and head out before everyone else wakes up.
bring the dog if you like.
good times! :thumbup1:

This is going to be really off topic from the original post, but I'm interested in purchasing my own canoe in the next couple of years. Anyways, I was in a canoe museum and saw a bunch of canoes that had been outrigged to be used with a sail. I thought that was really cool and would be pretty interesting to try. Has anyone tried this?

No, but that's a cool idea. There are several options for propulsion -- motor (electric or a small gasoline), oars, sails. It's nice to have at least 2 options for propulsion. And of course, always wear life jackets. The new ones are lightweight.

I have an old Folbot from the 1960s. I designed a lateen sail rig for it, with outrigger. I can't say I have experience, however, as I have not built it or used it yet. Maybe this summer...

Congrats on the new canoe. Getting the whole family is very cool too. My Dad, Brother, and I picthed in for thirds and got a new canoe in 1970 from the local hardware store. They sold Grummans at the time and we got a 17 footer. That day started a life long passion for canoeing. Over the years Dad took us to most of the major float streams in the Ozarks of Missouri. I am 53 and I am finishing my 5th homemade kevlar tripping canoe in my basement. 17foot and 42 pounds. We now go every year on a week long float trip, mostly to Canada but also Boundary Waters, Quetico, Rio Grande, and in April Georgia for our first foray into a swamp. Enjoy your time on the water.

Congrats! Wife won't let me get one due to lack of storage space, and the kids would kill me if I got a yak. Can't wait to move into a bigger house.

since adding the canoe, we added a sit on top kayak (nice one) from MEC and 2 kids kayaks.

it's like Boating AD for us

I love canoes. This is my Old Town Tripper 172. It has a payload of over 1500lbs. 10 days and 30 miles down river from this picture, I shot a small bull moose. The Tripper hauled us, our gear and that quartered up moose another 30 miles to our takeout point. No problem.

proxy.php

Those Old Towns will take a beating, they're very solidly built.

I've never outrigged a canoe but I know a guy who has with his wife, used aluminum tubing for the crossbars and a PVC 'float' I believe.
More for balance and handling than anything, no sail.

I love canoes. This is my Old Town Tripper 172. It has a payload of over 1500lbs. 10 days and 30 miles down river from this picture, I shot a small bull moose. The Tripper hauled us, our gear and that quartered up moose another 30 miles to our takeout point. No problem.

proxy.php

You fit a quartered moose in THIS canoe? I thought I was a good packer, but now bow my head before a master.

Top Bottom