What's new

Opinions on first soap?

I am looking to get my first soap or cream, but can't decide. I was thinking either to go with DR Harris Arlington or some sort of Trumpers. Or a cream like Proraso. Any opinions guys?

I started a couple of weeks ago and picked Williams because it was a mile from my house at CVS. Almost halfway into a bar experience wise. Now today from a wonderful member here I have two new ones to try: a TABAC and a Clonk - both new to me.

First time I was like 'uhh where's the lather'. Then I read up here (heated the bowl, brush and bar while I took a shower) and I immediately found the lather.

My opinion, so take it for what you payed for it.

Start with Proraso or KMF. Both are usually locally available, and latherable by all but the most geriatric of chimpanzees.

Either of these will help you realize what to look for in good lather. Once you have shaved a couple dozen times with one of those, then go pick up the soap of your choice.

And for what its worth, lather has nothing to do with heat (dispite what the MWF purists out there will tell you). It has everything to do with amount of soap, amount of water, and timing on introducing both into the agitation of making lather.

Yep, Proraso seems more reasonable on being cheap and easy to find, especially for a newbie like myself. Thanks guys :thumbup:

A tube of Proraso (or Bigelow) and a handmade bay rum, like mamabears. Start there and then you can slowly go insane from that point.

D R Harris is an excellent choice for a first soap. Other good choices would be Mama Bear or Tabac. In fact, I'd recommend you get both the Harris & Mama Bear because they're excellent representatives of very different kinds of soap. I'd stay away from (the new formulation of) Trumpers because it's not a typical soap, being kind of halfway between two types, which will make it confusing to compare, and difficult to pick a second choice.

I've pretty much hated most creams, so maybe it's better to not give a recommendation there.

Arlington is my favourite UK soap and an excellent performer. Highly recommended. But if you want something that little bit extra special, that lathers like a dream, then look no further than my signature. Cella, Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima.:thumbup::thumbup:

Cella definitely looks like a great buy. That along with Proraso, and Harris I think should let me figure out which i prefer.

Col. Conk almond was my first soap. Granted, I don't have a whole lot to compare it to (Ogallala, Williams) but for $3.50 a puck, it's definitely worth trying, especially if you don't want to plunk down a lot of money. I personally loved it and will pick up a few more when I make my next shaving purchase.

If you are new to wet shaving, I would advise you to get a cream rather than a soap. I think it's easier for a newcomer to create lather from cream than from soap.

Any of the GFT creams would be a wise choice.

Cream - Cella, If you like menthol - Proraso

Soap - MWF, Not very costly but very good and effective - Palmolive

Last edited:
I stick by my reco of picking up Proraso first, but want to second the suggestion of Col Conk for your first soap. Cheap, great scents (I like their Bay Rum and Amber ones best) and easy to lather.

One word....Tabac

It was one of my first soaps (after some conks and vdh)....I bought it and it lasted me over a year and a half with 3-5x per week usage. I just bought a replacement puck. I love the scent (though some don't) but none malign its lather, cushion (it is tallow after all) and efficacy. It's also very cheap relatively compared to the high end soaps out there and it performs just as well.

Ok...that was more than one word...but there you have it.

Top Bottom