What's new

Will You Teach Your Daughter To Shave?

Hi everyone,
I've been reading threads on here about guys teaching their sons to shave. Or people who were never taught and found there way here deep into their shaving life and who vow to teach their sons better.

But I was curious. Will you also teach your daughters?
We ladies on here discussed this before, about how we were taught to shave and for the most part, we were given little to no instruction.

Personally, I was away at Irish summer college and all the "cool" girls there shaved so when I phoned my mum at home I asked her if I could too. She said okay so I went out and bought a Gillette for women and the goo to match and away I went. I remember lying in bed that night rubbing my calves off each other marvelling at how smooth they were. I remember that feeling to this day.

I guess maybe for girls it's easier to just pick up a cart and go for it, and perhaps it's just my self as I am now wishing that someone had sat down and taught me to shave properly. Chances are though, if I had pulled out a badger brush and a Lady Gillette at that Irish camp I would have been teased even more than I already was there (I f-in hated that place).
Chances are if I did that now anywhere I would get some strange looks. In fact I have and have. But most of my close friends know about it now and accept it.

Maybe I just want to share the passion I have now with someone new to shaving. Someone young and more confident in being unique and different than I was back then. (Nowadays I get called "odd" and "random" so much I don't even bat an eyelid. I'd used to being a bit quirky by most people's standards. I kinda like it :shifty:)

So how about it guys and gals? Will you let your daughters take the easy goo and cart route or do you feel it would help them to see the light from the get go?

Interesting point! I always assumed her mum would teach her. But, I know I would not be doing my job if she used goo & cart!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Never thought of that. I would probably teach lather building and how to hold the razor, but leave grandma (or their mothers) to fill in the blanks. Thankfully, women"s legs are a bit different than mens faces :001_smile

Well, considering I've two boys and been a victim of Dr. Snip, I don't think I'll be teaching my daughter to shave.

If I had one, I might advocate for a DE, but I'd leave the nuts and bolts of instructions to Mrs. Topgumby. She uses a Blue Lady Gillette.

Well, we've heard the stories about guys who switched from DE to cartridges who marvel at how "convenient" it is, along with canned goo. This made me think: if I started shaving using a DE and then somebody handed me a Schick (my former razor), instead of contemplating what I'm doing it'd just be zip and I'm done. I'd start using that because it's so much quicker, if price were no object. Or irritation. Or whether I cared how much longer a BBS would last. Okay, maybe I'm not the best person to make an example of :lol:

It's not so much shaving as an introduction to the wide world of razors and soaps and creams and brushes; this is why the B&B community is so passionate about it, I'd wager.

If I have a daughter in the future, though, I'd start her off on wet shaving once it came up. Same goes for a son. But now I wonder what would be more expensive to fund: my kid's AD, or the cost of cartridges :blink:

Hadn't thought about it, but now that you mention it I may get a DE and set it aside for her. Plan on letting my son have my Merkur if I can progress to a str8 by then.

I will probably teach theory to my daughter, and let her try on her own using a brush, soap and whatever equipment she wants to use to start with.

My wife sorta likes the brush and soap, but only if I make it up for her. She doesn't like the DE experience, and I bought her a blue Lady Gillette. She is against all menthol and cooling products, so most of my creams are out, and she is more picky about scent than I am, perfering none.

Turns out the Lady Gillette is the only TTO I remotely like (I perfer 3 piece razors) so all is not lost.

Phil

If she were willing to learn with some thing like a DE, fat chance with a straight rofl. My daughter is 5 months old at this point so, it has not entered my mind and well if it comes to the day I would be glad to tutor her in angle and technique, what to do and what not to do with it and so on. Legs are diff than a face so, I would as a man be limited to what I could teach other than technique and lathering properly.

I would if she liked, would be nice to not see her putting up with those iteration razors and goo. But that would be up to her.

I have a 12 year old niece that I have been teaching stuff too and have already managed to turn her away from a lot of the commercial products already. I don't think it will be a hard stretch to get her into a DE, especially since she has my skin - super sensitive and allergic...

I'm already converting other women because it is so much better for the skin....

Cheers

If I had a daughter I certainly would have! :001_smile

Instead I am working on my wife - but she is not interested at this point. Instead she uses a cart every day while taking a shower.

Only if she's interested in a straight.She's gonna need a strong stomach to sit through the demonstration though.Imagine walking into that room.Middleaged, 200lb out of shape,5'10" wearing a speedo, lather up to my hips showing my daughter how to shave like a man.

Last edited:
My 9yr old daughter wanted (needed) to shave her legs so my wife showed her how. I talked her into an injector but couldn't get the Mrs away from the canned goop so I guess it will fall to me to plant those ideas.

Only if she's interested in a straight.She's gonna need a strong stomach to sit through the demonstration though.Imagine walking into that room.5'10" wearing a speedo, lather up to my hips showing my daughter how to shave like a man.

Damn you.

proxy.php

wife uses 1962 lady G in champagne or 1963 in pink
17 yr old daughter uses 1964 dark blue lady G
10 yr old daughter uses 1964 light blue lady G - I help her with knees, ankles

my 6 yr old son shaves with a 1956 superspeed ( no blade just yet) but his skill is honed to perfection.........

Train them early so they can laugh in their friends faces

Nice thread! I just purchased a Lady Gillette for my wife for Valentine's day, and she almost immediately said that she was looking forward to passing it down to our six month old daughter. I was quite pleasantly surprised by her enthusiasm. :001_smile

Top Bottom