What's new

Welcome to the Straight Razor Shave Clinic!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to the new part of this forum!

Starting with a new shaving implement can be scary, maybe every scarier when it's a straight razor. Rest assured, this part of the forum will provide all the help you need! :thumbup1:

Jump right in! Keep a journal of your shaves! Ask some questions and share your experience!

An excellent idea, Luc!

And, may I say that you're doing an excellent job as leader of the straight razor community here at B&B! :thumbup:

I assume this new forum is for shaving technique related questions. If so, I think this is a great idea!

Is there a good collection of shaving technique “tips and tricks” out there somewhere? I’m relatively new to SR shaving and am learning mostly by trial and error concerning what passes work, what angles work, etc. I’m progressing nicely, but I can’t help but think that I might be reinventing the wheel when it comes to tackling some of the challenging areas. A collection of tips from experienced users would be most helpful. For example (and just as an example): when shaving the concave areas of the neck, is it best to use the heel of the razor or the toe? What is the best way to tackle the hair under the jawline (as a continuation of the WTG pass on the cheeks, or come at them horizontally)? What’s the best way to tackle the patch immediately below the chin? For the area immediately below the lower lip, how do you do the XTG pass without clipping your chin? When shaving the upper lip, is it easier to complete the XTG pass starting mid-lip or come in from the side? How exactly do you hold the razor when completing the ATG pass on the upper lip? What’s the proper grip for completing the ATG pass on the neck? What’s the best way to avoid nicking the Adam’s apple area? etc., etc. etc.

The above are just examples. I’m sure I will learn all the above over time, but a collection of tips and techniques would greatly accelerate my progress. Thoughts?

Welcome to B&B and the world of straight razor shaving diyguy. Have a look through the sticky threads here.

There is some great info.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I assume this new forum is for shaving technique related questions. If so, I think this is a great idea!

Is there a good collection of shaving technique “tips and tricks” out there somewhere? I’m relatively new to SR shaving and am learning mostly by trial and error concerning what passes work, what angles work, etc. I’m progressing nicely, but I can’t help but think that I might be reinventing the wheel when it comes to tackling some of the challenging areas. A collection of tips from experienced users would be most helpful. For example (and just as an example): when shaving the concave areas of the neck, is it best to use the heel of the razor or the toe? What is the best way to tackle the hair under the jawline (as a continuation of the WTG pass on the cheeks, or come at them horizontally)? What’s the best way to tackle the patch immediately below the chin? For the area immediately below the lower lip, how do you do the XTG pass without clipping your chin? When shaving the upper lip, is it easier to complete the XTG pass starting mid-lip or come in from the side? How exactly do you hold the razor when completing the ATG pass on the upper lip? What’s the proper grip for completing the ATG pass on the neck? What’s the best way to avoid nicking the Adam’s apple area? etc., etc. etc.

The above are just examples. I’m sure I will learn all the above over time, but a collection of tips and techniques would greatly accelerate my progress. Thoughts?

Welcome to B&B!

Yes, if you have any questions, don't be shy!

yay! I am going to be annoying you guys with lots of questions, I'm 3 months in and still tweaking/learning/failing, and fast approaching the need to purchase and learn to use some hones...

yay! I am going to be annoying you guys with lots of questions, I'm 3 months in and still tweaking/learning/failing, and fast approaching the need to purchase and learn to use some hones...

Not annoying ... we all had to learn the basics from someone else. No one was born knowing how to hone and shave with a straight razor.

DIYguy,

The answers to your questions probably lie in Luc's signature - check out his Wiki. I am still very new at straight-razor shaving and well, I started writing a book. Just read Luc's Wiki, take it slow and easy, keep an open mind, and wait for the lightbulbs to go off.

Enjoy your shaves :thumbup1:

Top Bottom