What's new

Any custom stand ideas?

I was thinking about making a few custom stands, I don't really need any at the moment but I enjoy metalworking and own nearly every tool that you could use for that hobby.

I have some plans in my head that I want to get down into metal but I was curious if anyone has something they wanted that I could try to create as well - pictures/drawings would be nice.

I think a custom stand may be my first PIF to the community once I do make some. I'm not into "stealing" ideas so anything you post please be sure you don't mind if I end up creating it.

Ken...I had always envisioned a spiral DE holder. Think spiral staircase with the DE heads essentially being the steps. Capiche? How difficult would something like that be to produce?...I'm thinking probably tall enough to support 8 razors or so would make it tall enough to be useful, but not so tall that the width required for the base stability would be too large to be impractical for countertop application.

The spiral thing was just the first thing that popped into my head as soon as I acquired more than one DE.

A modified version that would accomodate straights in some manner would look awesome! (I don't shave with straights, so feel free to build mine first...mmmmk? Thanks a bunch.:lol:)

When I got my first DE and brush I had no stand...guess what I did???

I took an old metal clothes hanger from the closet and I unwound it straightened it and then bent it in several ways until I had a make shift brush stand that was stable if not nicely sturdy, had the straight shaft in center, a large circuler bottom that I was proud was so stable and a ring I did at the top that would hold my brush at the rim that the handle of the brush, could pop it in and out easily and it functioned like a dream.

Oddly I amaze myself some times at my own ingenuity, I kinda regret throwing it away when I finally got my brush and razor stand from Shave Nation as it was such a cool piece though crude.

Ken...I had always envisioned a spiral DE holder. Think spiral staircase with the DE heads essentially being the steps.......

whoah - I plan on starting to make a spiral looking 5 razor holder tonight, that was my first plan I wanted 4 on the outsides and one in the middle.

Key point on the spiral concept would be integrated legs for stability, lots of options there...a normal round flat base would likely be fairly large to support the weight of DE's...hummm...that will be a fun build for sure keep us posted on how it goes! As I might be interested in purchasing one if that's the rout you wanna go :thumbup:

Key point on the spiral concept would be integrated legs for stability, lots of options there...a normal round flat base would likely be fairly large to support the weight of DE's...hummm...that will be a fun build for sure keep us posted on how it goes! As I might be interested in purchasing one if that's the rout you wanna go :thumbup:

I'm inclined to agree...ball feet might be the best route, Although the base could be round and flat if it were moderately thick, but that would be more material and more costly....

Now, a granite or marble base....oooooh. Probes! Make it so!:mad3:

I'm inclined to agree...ball feet might be the best route, Although the base could be round and flat if it were moderately thick, but that would be more material and more costly....

Now, a granite or marble base....oooooh. Probes! Make it so!

True that, also would depend on weather the height is proportional to the width if not slightly wider as that would contribute to stability and distribution of weight ratio. Also...that idea would allow for more razors to be hung in a visually deceptive 'smaller' space...or rather shorter, but actually it would be a larger space due to the width type stoutness...although that would make it more space hungry but save the headaches of vertical design.

Oi gonna shut my trap now, I'm starting to think physics and I can be a rambler...lets keep it fair simple lol.

Marble would be quite elegant, though harder to produce lets one had the tools to bore and thread such things. And yes with out proper hook ends on the hangers one would easily pull that "Domino" effect, but I think we could compensate for that.

Last edited:
Dear Ken,

Thank you for your kind and generous offer to build me a custom razor stand spiral staircase. I like chrome.

Sincerely yours,
F.

True that, also would depend on weather the height is proportional to the width if not slightly wider as that would contribute to stability and distribution of weight ratio. Also...that idea would allow for more razors to be hung in a visually deceptive 'smaller' space...or rather shorter, but actually it would be a larger space due to the width type stoutness...although that would make it more space hungry but save the headaches of vertical design.

Oi gonna shut my trap now, I'm starting to think physics and I can be a rambler...lets keep it fair simple lol.

Marble would be quite elegant, though harder to produce lets one had the tools to bore and thread such things. And yes with out proper hook ends on the hangers one would easily pull that "Domino" effect, but I think we could compensate for that.

Would definitely require a "hook" type of effect. Still better than a ringlet type of holder, though, in my opinion.

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your kind and generous offer to build me a custom razor stand spiral staircase. I like chrome.

Sincerely yours,
F.

EGAD! Thanks Franz, I completely forgot about the finish! Probes, I prefer brushed stainless/aluminum, but that black PVD coating is cool too. Or powdercoated. I'm flexible. Do the analysis and report your findings, post haste.:thumbup:

Settle down you badgers :biggrin: My first one is going to be mild steel and probably epoxy coated, hot cured. I'm just experimenting at the moment but I assure something will be posted this week, maybe even tonight but it just may be the beginnings of a stand.

It will probably have feet as well, exotic bases could happen in the future if I like whats coming out of the shop, if not I'll go back to building cars for awhile :glare:

Also just a thought...copper brass could be a nice option...those who love that deep warm polish would love that, also those that like how it oxidizes too...IF you like that greenish patina lol. Avoid pewter...crummy material and it is too breakable, bronze could do in a pinch though it smells funny but they are fair materials that exude old school.

Great ideas though, I am sure some thing could be made of it.

I'm a fabricator not a jeweler :001_smile now I may be able to mold and cast some of the pieces I make into other stuff, but at the end of the day I'm an ape with a nice collection of tools that I build cars with.

Well hey as a powerlifter...most times I am a big ape with a big club...Hulk Smash! lol Seriously though, good idea and if you can pull it off with what you have, even better. I love creative and stimulatin ventures that make a tangible end result, good luck and if you pull it off post pics and we can all chip in with ideas to help out.

Here is my custom stand:
full

Made a few of them and I got some good reviews.

Of course everyone's collection and conditions are a little different.

best,
Mrscottishman
p.s.
That is my great-grandfather's shaving mug.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a fabricator not a jeweler :001_smile now I may be able to mold and cast some of the pieces I make into other stuff, but at the end of the day I'm an ape with a nice collection of tools that I build cars with.

Oh here we go now...with all the disclaimers! :lol:

Can't wait to see what you come up with Ken! thumbup1:

Always remember the mantra:

Alright you whiners, here is the first prototype. I will warn you that it is VERY rough, the welds are not pretty and nothing was finished or sanded. I made it as soon as I got home from work so I had a version 1 to go from.

I dub this model the "Slim Twist"

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I would be worried about the metal on metal contact with the finish of my razors. With that being said, I did have an idea for an anodized matte black powder coated stand. I think plating on matte black would be a good look. Spiraled like your setup one side for razors as I only own 3 and one side for brushes. Nice wide base, wouldnt have to be that tall and would fit nicely with my marble counter top and fixtures.

You can't anodize over powdercoating and you cannot anodize steel. If I were to make a usable stand I would probably epoxy coat it which would provide some cushion and wont transfer over to the razor metal.

Chrome plating allows more direct metal to metal contact than painting or powdercoating.

What is your concern about metal touching a razor?

Top Bottom