What's new

Camping Knife

Hey fellers,

To commemorate this nice new forum, lets talk about what knife you take with you on your wilderness outings. Any type will do, fixed blade or folder, pricey or not or homemade.

Here's what I recently picked up for camping, a KaBar Becker BK-2 Campanion and a KaBar Becker BK-11 "necker". Both of which are strong, hardy carbon steel fixed blades that can be used for all sorts of outdoor tasks. Some folks like to use the BK-2 to "baton" chunks of firewood to make excellent kindling for campfires.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Before picking these guys up I would usually bring a Victorinox swiss army knife or my girlfriends Mauser swiss army style multitool.

So let's see what you've got!

That's the way to start it off right!

I've got a BK9 and a BK14. The 14 is my EDC. I just wrapped some paracord throught the sheath and wear it on my belt.

proxy.php

proxy.php

So far it's fully awesome, like a sharpened pry-bar. Hard to imagine the BK2 not being able to handle anything out in the bush, from chopping veg to splitting wood, and I've even seen some folks do a bit of whittling with it.

Will make a full report after my upcoming spring camping trip.

Legion

Staff member
For heavy work I use a Ka-Bar USMC knife, the carbon one with the leather handle and sheath.

For regular chores I have this. It's made by a knife-smith called Matt Lesniewski who runs ML Knives in NY. He makes all his knives using traditional blacksmith equipment and techniques. This one has a tiger maple handle. Very nice to use and takes a wicked edge.

proxy.php

Hiya,

Here's what I believe to be an early version of the Barry Dawson Commando Field and Camp Knife. It's over 20 years old, but no idea of it's real age. I used to carry this around with me on camping trips years ago.

I'm guessing the handle material is maybe rosewood or ebony.........doesn't seem like micarta. No idea what the metal used on this thing, although it says '60' on the sheath and blade (whatever that means).

There's a pic of it with a Swiss Army knife, and another one next to an old Buck 124.

Martin

When camping, I carry this one. It's a Benchmade 9130. The thing is (relatively) small and light, though I'm sure any ultralight backpackers would beg to differ. Hasn't failed me yet.
proxy.php

My knife is 5 inches with a rosewood handle, handmade from a suspension leaf spring out of a truck. It was a gift from my to be father-in-law.

I keep a Mil-Tac folder in my pocket at all times. I carry either my Busse Combat knife (I forget the name) or one of my kukris.

Top Bottom