What's new

Blade Rotation Vs. Cream/Soap Rotation

I was wondering if anyone else determined their blade/cream rotation upon where they are in the life of their current razor blade.

For instance, I tend to get a really harsh shave w/a brand new blade. IP's are this way for me to the point that I don't use them, and sometimes even my beloved derbys give me a harsh first shave. In expectation of that experience, whenever I start out w/a new blade I use a reliably "cushiony" cream like Nancy Boy, T&H UC or TOBS avocado. I've found the extra protection counteracts the expectant harsh shave.

After the initial shave w/a new blade, I can usually interchange most any soap/cream. But when I notice that I'm not getting as close of a shave w/my current blade, then I change to only soaps for the last 1 or 2 shaves. My thought process being that you can usually get a closer shave w/less effort w/a soap due to its lack of cushion compared to a cream, which counteracts the duller blade.

Keep in mind, I primarily use Derbys and have yet to let a Derby stick around until it starts pulling my hair. I got 7 shaves out of my latest Derby blade, the last being this morning w/some HBS Bay rum. And I didn't get a single stubble pull out of ANY of those 7 shaves. The shaves tend to take longer once I've used the balde, sometimes even taking one more full pass than I usually do, but they never pull on my stubbl. But this number of shaves on one blade is actually very out of the norm for me, especially w/a derby. I usually get 5 shaves/blade.

~Joshua

5 shaves max from any DE blade (or injector blade for that matter).

Blades are so cheap I don't worry about trying to extend their life.

5 shaves max from any DE blade (or injector blade for that matter).

Blades are so cheap I don't worry about trying to extend their life.

I'm actually not doing my rotation this way to extend blade life, but to try and get the most comfortable shave each time. I just noted the 7 shave Derby blade b/c it was an anomaly.

I don't shave w/a cushy cream the first shave w/every blade to prevent dulling the blade, but to prevent a harsh shave.

~Joshua

Josh,

Great point. I just finished a 4th day on a Derby and the last 3 days were increasingly smooth compared to the first day. I will try to start with a cream, I like Nancy Boy as well, and see if that makes a difference not only with the Derby's but also with the Gillettes and Feathers.

Thanks for the tip.

Jeff

The Derby blades start pulling on the 3rd shave. The best blade I can get is a fresh Derby. Just shows how much YMMV.

Joshua,
I have been doing the very thing you describe in one form or another for quite a while. I'm an English cream user and find that Coates has the most cushion followed by Trumper, Taylor, Salter, and T&H. When I shave with a Feather blade I will start of with Coates for a couple of days, then go with either Trumper or Taylor for another two shaves, and then finish with T&H. With a Swedish Gillette I'll start with Trumper or Taylor, then go to Salter, and finish with T&H again.

Matching the level of cushion to where the blade is in its life cycle does make a difference for me. If I used the same cream for all six shaves (the usual number I get from my preferred blades) I would only get a couple of great shaves while the rest would be somewhat "off". Doing it this way keeps the blade in its sweet spot. Serious wet shavers tend to rotate products anyway, why not arrange the rotation to work with your equipment?

I use straights, so it's not so much of a problem. Whenever I got a new "junk shop" razor, if I wasn't too sure about it after tuning it up, I used Musgo Real cream and aftershave. The combination seems incredibly forgiving for me- if the blade isn't as sharp as it should be, the cream is ace at softening stubble, so it's not too much of an issue, and if the edge isn't so smooth (sometimes they "settle" after a couple of uses & stropping, with no need for further honing) it's so slick, it doesn't really cause any trouble. And the aftershave is really therapeutic too, just gives me a bit more confidence with a new blade.
But if it does turn out not to be ready yet, I just put it down and finish the job with an old favourite, a little more time with the hone is no trouble at all, compared to pulling bristles out with a dull razor. Same when an old one needs honing- if it seems not to be shaving as well as it did, I'll just chuck it on my desk to be honed, and use another. Theres no use mauling yourself with an imperfect blade.
Disposible blades sound quite a nuisance, with the crappy shaves with a new blade, then good shaves, then progressive decline into dullness. Do any of you use a sharpenable saftey razor, such as the Rolls Razor? They go for peanuts on ebay, don't need much cleaning up, and can surely offer equal blade consistency to a straight, but with the tricky parts of honing automated. I'd be interested to hear from anybody who uses them- maybe you could write a review?

I was wondering if anyone else determined their blade/cream rotation upon where they are in the life of their current razor blade.

For instance, I tend to get a really harsh shave w/a brand new blade. IP's are this way for me to the point that I don't use them, and sometimes even my beloved derbys give me a harsh first shave. In expectation of that experience, whenever I start out w/a new blade I use a reliably "cushiony" cream like Nancy Boy, T&H UC or TOBS avocado. I've found the extra protection counteracts the expectant harsh shave.

After the initial shave w/a new blade, I can usually interchange most any soap/cream. But when I notice that I'm not getting as close of a shave w/my current blade, then I change to only soaps for the last 1 or 2 shaves. My thought process being that you can usually get a closer shave w/less effort w/a soap due to its lack of cushion compared to a cream, which counteracts the duller blade.

Keep in mind, I primarily use Derbys and have yet to let a Derby stick around until it starts pulling my hair. I got 7 shaves out of my latest Derby blade, the last being this morning w/some HBS Bay rum. And I didn't get a single stubble pull out of ANY of those 7 shaves. The shaves tend to take longer once I've used the balde, sometimes even taking one more full pass than I usually do, but they never pull on my stubbl. But this number of shaves on one blade is actually very out of the norm for me, especially w/a derby. I usually get 5 shaves/blade.

~Joshua

Another example of YMMV, I have always gotten my best shave from a brand new blade with diminishing returns with each consecutive use. I only recently switched from using Dove bath soap with my brush to shave specific soaps and creams so I haven't got enough experience with them to contribute more to this discussion. Very happy to have made the change though.

Jimmy

A good soap is a god soap no matter the brand. Its the only kind I use. I mainly use straights also but when I do use a DE I get an equal shave whether its the first with the blade or the last. I guess using a straight makes using a DE seem like childs play.

Top Bottom