What's new

semogue 1305 vs. Semogue owner's club boar brushes

I have both - they are subtly but significantly different... and I would not pick one over the other. You can't go wrong with either... or with both!

1305 has a painted handle, SOC has wood.

1305 has dyed bristle (to make it look like badger), SOC has undyed bristle.

SOC is bigger than the 1305.

Get both :thumbup:

I got all three :blushing: I just couldn't resist having the SOC with both handles and I wouldn't trade of any (but don't listen to me, I'm a brushoholic :w00t:).

The 2000 isn't bad either - a bit larger than the 1305 and with a wooden handle in a different design.

I have both. I've been using the 1305 mainly, and the paint does chip off the handle easily (not a performance issue, so that's really neither here nor there!). However, after 12 months or so steady use it is shedding quite a lot - I hope the OC is more secure!

My SOC had a very unevenly formed knot/loft. It is a bit too dense for me. I don't have a 1305 but I prefer my Omega 30005 boar that has similar dims to it.

I have both. The SOC is denser and took longer to break in. The handle issue isn't a problem with either one if you take proper care of them. (don't soak the whole brush, only the hair and don't drop them on your tile floor) Being bigger, the SOC will hold more lather but I have no problem doing three passes with either one.

They're both first class. Get both!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The SOC is bigger and denser, but the hair is finer and softer. I've not owned a current 1305, but I did have an 830 - the SOC was more luxurious, but I could see how some mind fine it a little too soft if they're really into the backbone that boar can provide. I think the SOC is a nice boar for winning over badgerists, but the 830 was more of an all around performer. Kind of the Rooney 3/1 of the boar realm. The 1305 sacrifices some density, so maybe that advantage is lost. I'm leaning toward SOC between the two as a recommendation.

The aesthetic is totally up to you, but it's hard to vote against the SOC - I love the natural looking bristle and new darker wood handles.

You guys are killing me!!!!

I have had an SOC on order from VS for over a week now...I wish it was here.

Any advice for a boar newbie? I have plenty of badgers but this will be my first boar...:w00t:

Last edited:
Its funny because I just bought a 1305 yesterday and very psyched to try it out. I already own an SOC and love it. Although I mainly bowl lather, I sometimes face lather with the SOC and works great! But I guess from the reviews and posts about the 1305, it is far superior for face lathering. I am pretty excited.

You guys are killing me!!!!

I have had an SOC on order from VS for over a week now...I wish it was here.

Any advice for a boar newbie? I have plenty of badgers but this will be my first boar...:w00t:

Pre-soak the brush - a badger will let you get away with a quick rinse, but (especially when new) a boar LOVES water. Also, they cling to water less, so it may seem sloppy/drippy when it actually has the right amount of water.

I'm pretty sure the Boar Lathering Video Challenge made the stickies list - some helpful videos and discussion therein.

I have both too.. the 1305 is just great. Not fully broken in yet, but i love it.

The SOC just started splittin hair just the other day and i hope it will be nice, but the 1305 is the leader so far!

I have a 1305 and a SOC in Ash and Cherry. All three are great brushes but I prefer my SOC brushes. As for as break-in and use, this is what I do and it has worked well for me for the past 40+ years.

I use hot tap water from the kitchen sink. My hot water heater is located in my basement under that sink so that is where I get the hottest water. Let the water get as hot as possible and soak the brush in the water (only cover about 75% of the bristle in water) for 20 minutes. Lather as you normally would and when you are through, rinse well in hot water, then give the brush a good shaking and hang bristles down.

Do not use boiling water and don't soak the bristles all the way up to the knot.

Doing this will help the tips split faster and the brush will start to perform at its peak within 10-days.

Have both. Just started trying a brand new 1305-so far I haven't been able to get it to lather worth a damn. I'm hopeful that it will break in eventually. The SOC is starting to break in after about 10 lathers/dries and is just an awesome brush. As is my 620-which is also a great but has a smaller, firmer knot-very different brush.

Top Bottom