What's new

Didn't expect that - behind the medicine cabinet

I am doing some renovating and I took out the old medicine cabinet and there was this huge pile of old used DE razor blades! There was a little slit in the back of the medicine cabinet evidently made for this purpose, and I'm not sure if they just expected the razors to fill up behind the wall, or what, but there was several years' worth of blades. :scared:

I am doing some renovating and I took out the old medicine cabinet and there was this huge pile of old used DE razor blades! There was a little slit in the back of the medicine cabinet evidently made for this purpose, and I'm not sure if they just expected the razors to fill up behind the wall, or what, but there was several years' worth of blades. :scared:

jeez... nice they did that for you to clean up!

It was common practice, and contractors knew (and know) what to expect, so the danger is really minimal.

People used to be pretty practical.

You should sell them on eBay.

N

NoelyDeezNutz

The house I currently live in has it in both bathrooms... I use them. I don't plan on ever touching those walls... I'll leave them for the next owner of the house to worry about... lol

That's the way it was in the home I grew up in (my father bought it new for $7,500 in 1956).

I put a lot of injector blades in there in my first few years of shaving.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yeah, great idea isn't it?
No blade banks to worry about, no tossing them in the trash.
They don't do it anymore, so I had to retrofit my place with a slot.

yep I've got one, it's great! and contrary to the (rather strange and shockingly common) belief that they will "fall into the electrical wires/some animal's habitat/cause a problem in any way shape or form," they fall into a (relatively massive with respect to the size of the blades) sealed off area.

I live in a house my grandfather built and he included the blade slot in the medicine cabinet. Makes perfect sense to have a safe place to dispose of sharp things that will probably never be opened.

There was a blade slot in every mirror cabinet of every room in my dorm freshman year of college. Imagine the number of blades in those walls!!!

+1 I work at my college in the summers doing some IT work and while renovating one of our older dorms I found tons of those style mirror cabinets. Pretty cool stuff.

A couple of the hospitals in my area still have functioning blade slots in the bathrooms of the patients' rooms.

My grandfather's place has one. The one time I actually decided to walk up and ask him where those blades were going, he simply said "Out of sight, out of mind". (You can imagine as a curious ten year old back then, that bland answer did little to nothing for me:glare:.)

any pics?

Top Bottom