What's new

Cigar Ring Size

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I think you mean Candela. Panatella is a size, Lancero is sometimes called a small panatella. The green wrapper is called a Candela, Claro-Claro, or a Double Claro.

You are correct sir, thank you for correcting me. For some reason I have always confused those two words. Probably because the only spanish I speak is cigar, food, or beer related.:001_smile

Anytime, jmallen:001_smile
Out of curiosity, I looked up the meaning of panatella and got a laugh; from Spanish, biscuit, cigar, from American Spanish, "long thin biscuit"

I'm a PC and CE or just plain corona kind of guy. I have a few 50 gauge and long, but I still prefer them small.

-Gianni-

Generally anything between 46-50 is ideal for me. Maybe a little larger if I really like the smoke or it's a figurado.

I don't see how in the world guys are smoking those big 60's these days :thumbdown

I generally like robusto or torpedo size cigars. I find with the fatter cigars I don't hot box as much and cause the smoke to get bitter prematurely. With a lancero size I have always had them get to hot on me and get a little acrid.

I love a true corona gorda---5.25 x 46. It's almost always the most full-flavored vitola in the marque. Esencia, Illusione, and Padilla Miami all roll a great one.

But I also like torpedo and pyramide shapes, which tend toward the 52 ring size . . . anything larger than that just feels a little ridiculous, and IME the more binder/filler a cigar has in proportion to wrapper, the less flavorful it's likely to be.

Can't get into lanceros . . . draw's all wrong for me.

NANP™

I'm with you guys on liking the smaller ring gauges, but have noticed the increase in "fat" cigars. I like coronas and lanceros, but I won't complain if someone gives me a great tasting 56 ring cigar =P

My cigar choices stay in the 48-52 ring gauge arena...I was in one of the local B&M's and saw the FdO Giants...just not my thing.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I practically never smoke anything smaller than a 46. When I do, it is a Fuente Hemmingway Short Story, after a meal when I want a nice quick cigar. Of course YMMV on M2C because I only smoke a half dozen or so cigars a year these days.

Well, I've only experienced 43-54 or thereabouts. And since my current favorite (Flor de Oliva Corojo) only comes in sizes 50 and 52, I would say that's my size.

54 would be about the largest I would smoke, due to looks and feel of holding it. Mind you I haven't smoked anything larger, so if I ever do, that might change. Being a reformed cigarette smoker, I like that the larger sizes don't feel anything like holding or drawing from a cigarette. I prefer over a certain length for similar reasons. I won't be trying cigarillos.

I prefer a 50 x 4.5 Robusto for a regular everyday cigar. If I have time, a Corona Gordo 52 x 5 or a Churchill 46,48 x 6. A great smoke for me, Montecristo #4, classic Corona. After a terrific meal, Monte #2 or Opus X Torpedo.

My favorite, very reasonably priced, everyday cigar... well aged... Hoyo De Monterrey, Double Maduro, Robusto 50x4.5. Great cigar at a value oriented price. I've aged boxes of fifty upwards of seven years and they can match any Cuban hands down.

I guess I am of a different ilk. I care less about size than I do about flavor. Sure, the ring gauge matters when time is an issue. But I tend to smoke cigars like I do a pipe. I make sure I have enough time to enjoy it the way it was meant to be enjoyed. Even if I am reading, mowing the lawn, or just sitting and sipping, I like to concentrate on the flavors. I have a myriad of sizes in my humidors. But the ring gauge was never really that important to me.

That said, some of the best cigars I have had were smaller ring gauges like the Tatuaje Vercu #5, Punch Punch, R&J Mille Fleur, etc.

Churchhills for me. I only smoke when I have the time (at the local smoke shop) or at home during the evening. A 60 ring gauge is perfect for me.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
From a practical point of view I'm ok with any size when just sitting down and relaxing. On the other hand it is a bit difficult to clench a 58 Nub between my teeth when I bend over to pick up dog poop.

I prefer a medium to smaller ring gauge as a general rule, but I like to "clench" the cigar at times (also a clencher when it comes to pipes), so larger gauges aren't as comfortable. Though I'll take just about any gauge in perfecto shape (my favorite shape).

Top Bottom