Thread: A family affair...?

Default A family affair...?

Hello B&B-ers!

I am new to the site in the sense that I, myself, have been wet shaving for not-so-long and that I just made an account for myself today. But B&B has been part of my daily conversations basically because of my partner. Yes, I am one of those mysterious SWMBOs. The B&Ber that I've been attached to for many a year goes by the name Elecid.

At first, I was happy to let wet shaving just be his thing-- honestly, I didn't want to have much to do with it. I was happy with my bubblegum and seafoam green colored Gillette disposables and every time he suggested I give his double edge a try, I groaned and made up an excuse. Personally, I wanted the gleaming metal contraption-- which I thought looked like it belonged on a dentist's tray more than my legs-- as far away from me as possible.

But as he talked more about new balms and soaps and strategies and I learned more... I started to find the whole thing fun. I still didn't want to SHAVE with the razors, but I liked learning about them. I'm really interested in mid-American history and advertising and, as a lifelong geek, I soaked in this information and went looking for more info and history. I helped look through antique stores and eBay and specialty shaving sites and, before I knew it, I was caught in the wet shaving trap.

When did I know for sure we were a B&B couple? When we BOTH bought each other razors for Valentine's Day. (And I picked out a really nice straight for him, if I do say so myself...)

I'm still learning to use the very cool (1960s?) DE he got me-- I think something about being MY set-up and not borrowed helps push away the "ugh..." factor-- and, so far, I've had relative success using it. A bit of razor burn on my last shave since I still haven't mastered the "no, really, ZERO pressure" thing and I usually shave in the shower only 20 mins. after just waking up... no cuts, though, and my legs have been pretty smooth!

Below are two photos of my oh-so-tiny set up. I just use the Kiss My Face pump soap for the lather... but if anyone has any good in-shower suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I'm not a big fan of the soap and would love to use something else, but I think a bowl and brush would be too difficult for my rushed/half-asleep morning schedule.

Look forward to chatting around the forum! I'm sure there will be odd tangential and historical posts from me in the coming weeks.

All my best,

Tsuki Shaves

Shaving requires attention, even when you don't dance while at it. (Charles Dickens)

Images

Welcome to B&B, but then again you've been here all along!
    -Harry

“Politeness is a sign of dignity, not subservience”
    Theodore Roosevelt

Please Support Badger & Blade

harry @ badgerandblade.com

Well hiya! Welcome to the club!

It's cool to hear somebody is so interested in the history of shaving. But, we all are a little bit. Enjoy your shaves!
    Cruisin' Mos Espa in my Delorean
    War's over I'm a peacetime Mandalorian
    My story has stumped Star Wars historians
    Deep in debate buffet plate at Bennigan's

Welcome to B&B. Glad you joined. Enjoy yourself.
    Dave

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TsukiShaves View Post
    The B&Ber that I've been attached to for many a year goes by the name Elecid.
    Oh no, I've been outed! Argh!! I didn't expect this.

What have I done? Is this a forum faux pas?

Oh, and also, welcome to B&B!
    Last edited by Elecid; 03-13-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    No bbcode in sigs? Curses! My plans to rule the world with magenta text have been foiled.

@ BobaFett -- I'm basically just a geek through and through. (Thus my mental cheerleading of your icon...) My interest in advertising history stems from my love of Silver Age comic books and the mountain of crazy there, both in the context of the social messages and the advertisements. I think what's really cool about the history of the shaving industry especially is how the way people think of shaving has changed and how it's marketed. Slow luxury to this (intense Mach 3 Gillette commercial, for those who don't want to click) in less than 30 years. Everything has to be faster, bigger, newer... it's just a really interesting phenomena. And the club just seems like a bunch of cool/interesting people too! I love seeing people's DIY shaving dens and projects.

Anyway, I'll stop yapping! Thanks for the welcomes!

- TsukiShaves
    Shaving requires attention, even when you don't dance while at it. (Charles Dickens)

Welcome aboard.
    [B][U][FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Brian[/FONT][/U][/B]

[COLOR="blue"]A teaspoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down :001_tt2:[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="green"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Be sure to visit THE NIB for all your pen and ink ADs.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [FONT="Century Gothic"][URL="http://www.info-komen.org/site/TR?pg=fund&fr_id=1120&pxfid=149874"][B][COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="3"]2011 Soap For Hope[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/URL][/FONT]

Welcome! I look forward to some duet posts starring you and Elecid! Something along the lines of a DE Sci Fi romance ... well, comedy, mystery, or drama would we welcome also.
    Eric V

i'd rather learn from one bird how to sing than to teach ten thousand stars how not to dance. e. e. cummings

Welcome!
    Mack

Quote Originally Posted by Elecid View Post
    Oh no, I've been outed! Argh!! I didn't expect this.

What have I done? Is this a forum faux pas?

Oh, and also, welcome to B&B!
    Not sure if it's a faux pas. Regardless, I think it's great!
    Mack

Images

Welcome mate!
    Rocco

Welcome Aboard..

Welcome!

Welcome to B&B!
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." Hemingway "The pipe gives the wise man time to think and the fool something to stick in his mouth." C. S. Lewis

Welcome out of hiding!
    Good to have another lady join the ranks and I hope to see you give that straight a whirl sometime too

If I can help let me know but it sounds like you're doing just fine!
    An rud is annamh, is iontach

Something along the lines of a DE Sci Fi romance...
    I'm not sure how that would work, but it has awesomeness written all over it, Eric!

I hope to see you give that straight a whirl sometime too
    Thanks for the welcome Eile, but-- EEEEP! I still think I'll chop my leg off with a straight. Hmmm... on the other hand, that may not be so bad:

Seriously, I'm still working on getting a good shave with the DE. The straight'll be a long ways away. ;)

- TsukiShaves
    Last edited by TsukiShaves; 03-13-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Welcome, and wow - his n' hers posting.

I don't know how I'd cope with my wife coming to the site and finding out how much I really was spending - and how much I was planning to spend. On the other hand, if I was to die suddenly, I'd hate to think of her selling my watches and razors for what I'd told her they cost. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    I don't know how I'd cope with my wife coming to the site and finding out how much I really was spending - and how much I was planning to spend. On the other hand, if I was to die suddenly, I'd hate to think of her selling my watches and razors for what I'd told her they cost. . .
    HA! Yeah... the problem is that I'm totally an enabler. Not A&E Hoarder level, but I like to collect and so when He Whom I Don't Usually Obey asks, "Do you think I should get X, Y, or Z?" if the cost is reasonable (and I think it's cool) I'm usually talking him INTO getting it.

Hmmm... this could be bad for our bank account. Thankfully, he has a more reasonable head on his shoulders.

Default Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage.

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!
    The goal is for each person to find what serves them best in the art of shaving.

Lanesborough, In the "other" Massachusetts

Welcome to the B. Hope the whole family enjoy's spending some time here.
    Regards, Paul